Tractor Tires, BKT vs. Firestone

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I thought I had this figured out, I had posted this on another forum but wanted some more advice.

Had a choice of BKT or Firestone, roughly the same price ($1200 installed) but the BKT has 8 ply vs. Firestone's 6 ply. Well I told them to order the BKT because I do a lot of tree clearing and cleanup with lots of hardened cedar and various stobs and stuff.

Then later I find out it is possible (nobody seems to know for sure) the BKT is no thicker and no more protection than the Firestone (which I originally wanted due to made in the U.S.) So, anyone actually know for a fact that one is thicker/tougher than the other? Tire size is 16.9 - 30 if that makes a difference.

I had 15 more minutes until they close and it got to bugging me that I was being part of the problem so I called and switched it to the U. S. made Firestone (had to get them trucked in).

Would still like to know anyone's opinion regarding the 6 ply vs 8 ply though.

If for no other reason then where they are made you made the right choice!

While I'm on the subject, do I have to have the fluid put back in the tires if I intend to pull a 9' disc a couple of times a year? Plus I will be renting a drill that is supposed to put a whole lot of drag on my little tractor.

I prefer not to have the fluid, I have used it in nearly identical tractors back to back and it just seems to do a number on my soft pastures, and is unnecessary while bush hogging and most of the stuff I do. But, if I need it I need it. Thoughts?

We run fluid in all 4 tires. If the tractor has thd traction to pull the disc I don't see why you'd need fluid in the tires. Maybe stability might also be an issue IDK.

Given choice of tire, I'd go with Goodyear over Firestone.

The ply rating is the load carrying capacity, and really doesn't have much to do with how thick the tire is.

I always like to have liquid in the tires.. can always use the extra pulling power.

Nesikep":2yi06jk8 said:
Given choice of tire, I'd go with Goodyear over Firestone.

The ply rating is the load carrying capacity, and really doesn't have much to do with how thick the tire is.

I always like to have liquid in the tires.. can always use the extra pulling power.

You couldn't give me a Good-for-a-Year or pay me enough to put one on :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

My Kubota came with Titans on it. Not proud of that, but it is what it is :roll:

I believe Titan's are made by Goodyear.

The goodyears we've had were all great tires on the farm equipment. One tractor has a 20 year old set and they don't show any weathering despite the summers we have here. Never had a flat on them in that time either. To each their own.

One tire I'll never put on a road vehicle is a Uniroyal!

Nesikep":3df1u914 said:
I believe Titan's are made by Goodyear.

The goodyears we've had were all great tires on the farm equipment. One tractor has a 20 year old set and they don't show any weathering despite the summers we have here. Never had a flat on them in that time either. To each their own.

One tire I'll never put on a road vehicle is a Uniroyal!

I had a set of 18.4-38 Armstrong (now Titan) on a Ford 8600 I purchased in 1990. No complaints. They were in good shape and lasted over 20 years. Outside most of the time and hundreds of heavily loaded road miles on them. I've also had Firestones on hay/feeding tractors that lasted close to 30 years.

For some reason there were 3 Goodyears and one Firestone that were original on Dad's IH 210 swather (7.60-15 traction implement) All tires lasted 30 seasons, but the Firestone aged the best.

My MF 2775 had Goodyear 18.4-38 radials on it when I bought it. Both looked good, still had good tread, and were not weatherchecked, but the sidewalls in both failed about 10 yrs after I purchased the tractor :x

Brute 23":2652l27z said:
Every tractor should have fluid and/ or wheel weights. They just operate so much better IMO.

Depends on the work, as the task changes then weight should be added or removed, and the air pressure adjusted.

Personally I prefer wheel weights as they are easier to add and remove and I can fix a puncture, no need to can the tire service people out to deal with the fluid.

At the same price firestone over BKT

1wlimo":1gpt7pe9 said:
Brute 23":1gpt7pe9 said:
Every tractor should have fluid and/ or wheel weights. They just operate so much better IMO.

Depends on the work, as the task changes then weight should be added or removed, and the air pressure adjusted.

Personally I prefer wheel weights as they are easier to add and remove and I can fix a puncture, no need to can the tire service people out to deal with the fluid.

At the same price firestone over BKT

I also prefer weight over fluid, when necessary. A hay tractor shouldn't need weight unless because of the loader. Kubota has Rim Guard (beet juice) in the tubeless rears. Completely non toxic/non corrosive. Local co-op tire truck is now set up for Rim Guard in addition to CaCl.

At same price, Firestone over BKT is a no-brainer.

the BKT I have been around had less lugs which makes them wear faster and ride rougher oh hard ground and no added traction. a lot of neighbors were putting them on till the first set was wore out in a few years and went back to firestone. I been sitting here trying to think of a tractor we get any where near 30 years out of tires.... must be putting to many miles on them

Latest posts