Tractor over heating

Help Support CattleToday:

cowperson

Reaction score
We have a 6210 John Deere tractor that overheats. It has been serviced at 2 different John Deere dealerships and they say the problem is fix but when you pull into the hay field to cut or bale hay it starts to overheat. We have read the troulbe shooting pages on over heating and all the suggestions have been done and it still overheats. It makes it slow getting anything done. Anyone have any suggestions are is this a common problem with this tractor. Thanks

have they flushed the radator out.an are you washing the air vent off.keeping dirt an hay from clogging it up.

Aside from the obvious thermostat and radiator concerns, has the guage and sending unit been checked?

The radiator and thermostat has been checked and the air vents are cleaned. I do not know if the guage and sending unit have been checked but I will check into it. Thanks

If you have a/c, your condensor is in front of the radiator. Make sure that you have cleaned your condensor out. If dirty, it really hampers air flow.

Check and change your air filter if necessary.

Make sure your alternator is putting out enough voltage. If your voltage is low, it screws up the gauge readings.

Check your belts to make sure they are not slipping.

How many hours are on this tractor. If the obvious has been checked and rechecked I would look at the fuel pump setting. I have encountered this with Cats a time or two. Could be set wrong from factory (rebuilt?) or possibly worn out. Back to the overheating, has the coolant temp been verified or is everyone going by the gague read-out? Also JD parts dont tend to play well with others, non-JD sending unit with JD gauge, Ive pulled hair out over that one too!

after you check everything else out you might want to put a gauge in the water jacket and verify that the water pump is putting out enough water pressure. impeller may be circulating enought coolant to cool under light conditions and not enough when a load is put on the tractor. you could also have a problem in the head.

Check to see if you are getting exhaust into the radiator. I would think you will have a head gasket or head cracked leaking if you have check and cleaned every thing else.

Red Headed Farmer":1xdmkzim said:
after you check everything else out you might want to put a gauge in the water jacket and verify that the water pump is putting out enough water pressure. impeller may be circulating enought coolant to cool under light conditions and not enough when a load is put on the tractor. you could also have a problem in the head.

Excellent point. I had a JD 2240 that did that once and had forgotten about it. $450 for a new pump or $80 for the repair kit. First and last JD I'll ever own.

The most obvious aside (radiator plugged inside and outside), water pump, loose belt, thermostat you might also consider lower radiator hose collapsing and shuting off the coolant flow and a possible blown head gasket or cracked head although you're gonna know about this one pretty quick.

Are you loosing coolant during the course of a days operation? Have you taken the radiator cap off and ran the engine at a pretty fast clip and observed the coolant level in the radiator? If the level rises in the radiator when "gunning" the engine you have a plugged radiator core or the bottom radiator hose is collapsing. If not then the radiator is clear inside. You are running a thermostat? If not, put one in. You may be circulating water so fast through the radiator it doesn't have time to cool (yea, I know this sounds stupid but take my word for it. You need to slow the coolant flow down so that the radiator can do its job).

Last, what about your fan shroud? That feature should be in place or otherwise the fan blades will "slip" air off the ends of the blades and not pull through the radiator.

OK, that's my two cents worth. Let me know what you find. :)

The tractor has 3100 hrs. cfpinz how do you check the gauge and sending unit? grannysoo how do you check the alternotor to see if it is putting out enough voltage? We are going by the gauge read out on the coolant temp. The air conditioner puts out cool air when the engine is cool than when the engine starts overheating the air from the air conditioner gets warm or hot. No matter how hot the tractor gets the engine coolant does not boil over. The fuel pump settings have been corrected. The thermostats have been changed and than removed and there is no difference. We will check the water pump,radiator and hoses some more. The tractor has 72 HP and we use a 853 New Holland round baler. Is the baler to much for the tractor? But again the tractor starts to overheats even when hauling hay for a mile or 2 or when cutting hay using a 8 ft bar New Holland. Thanks for all the help. I will let everyone how it works out.

cowperson":jh315xg3 said:
The tractor has 3100 hrs. cfpinz how do you check the gauge and sending unit? grannysoo how do you check the alternotor to see if it is putting out enough voltage? We are going by the gauge read out on the coolant temp. The air conditioner puts out cool air when the engine is cool than when the engine starts overheating the air from the air conditioner gets warm or hot. No matter how hot the tractor gets the engine coolant does not boil over. The fuel pump settings have been corrected. The thermostats have been changed and than removed and there is no difference. We will check the water pump,radiator and hoses some more. The tractor has 72 HP and we use a 853 New Holland round baler. Is the baler to much for the tractor? But again the tractor starts to overheats even when hauling hay for a mile or 2 or when cutting hay using a 8 ft bar New Holland. Thanks for all the help. I will let everyone how it works out.

Good clue, CP. The problem is not enough air flowing across the condensor and radiator. Start there to see why you're not moving enough air.

The A/C condensor is an air to gas heat exchanger which converts high pressure gas pressure to high pressure liquid. If you're not moving a lot of air across it the head pressure on your compressor will go way up and the system will blow warm air. So if you're not moving enough air across the condensor you're not moving enough air across the radiator either. Make sense????

Earl Thigpen":1nx8tl0z said:
cowperson":1nx8tl0z said:

Good clue, CP. The problem is not enough air flowing across the condensor and radiator. Start there to see why you're not moving enough air.

The A/C condensor is an air to gas heat exchanger which converts high pressure gas pressure to high pressure liquid. If you're not moving a lot of air across it the head pressure on your compressor will go way up and the system will blow warm air. So if you're not moving enough air across the condensor you're not moving enough air across the radiator either. Make sense????

I'd say Earl's onto something.

Latest posts