Tractor over heating

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
7045 Allis keeps over heating. Been mowing hay and it keeps running hot and pushing water. I've blown the radiator out and replaced the foam around the shroud. Also replaced the radiator cap. I can turn off the PTO and AC and let it idle and it'll cool back down in a few min.

Any idea what my problem could be?

Is it possible the thermostat is sticking?
Also check the water pump. I am not at all familiar with the Allis but these things happen on lots of the other brands of tractors.

I replaced the thermostats also forgot to mention that.

I haven't checked the water pump. I'm afraid its going to be the head so I'm tring to exhaust all other possibilities first.

Why would you think it's the head? You sure you don't have trash between rad and a/c condensor? Belt tight on waterpump?

If you ran it hot for a lil bit before you realized could be the head then but have you replaced your hoses and made sure there still good? I would also tell you this blue devil head gasket sealant like 80 a bottle works ive done it on trucks and tractors and drove for years. Personally id remove the water pump and see if it still has propellers still on it.

Might get an infrared thermometer and measure temps at head, upper and lower radiator, above and below the thermostat and get a better idea of what the problem is.

I would check between the radiator and the condenser and I believe there is a hyd. oil cooler too. You can't clean them by blowing through them all together you need to swing them out . blow them out one at a time.

brunel":vn1t9jpl said:
I would check between the radiator and the condenser and I believe there is a hyd. oil cooler too. You can't clean them by blowing through them all together you need to swing them out . blow them out one at a time.
Wash em w a hose

Kingfisher":h8ctg6b5 said:
Why would you think it's the head? Belt tight on waterpump?

I'm thinking head because nothing else I'm trying seems to make any difference.

Belt is tight. Wonder if the pulley could be worn and cause the belt to slip?

Both radiator hoses were replaced this year.

It gets up just shy of the red and starts pushing water so it hasn't gotten all the way hot but to hot to keep operating.

D2Cat":30w1kj4k said:
Might get an infrared thermometer and measure temps at head, upper and lower radiator, above and below the thermostat and get a better idea of what the problem is.

That's a good idea

Is the radiator dirty inside? Did you put thermostat in upside down? If no then pull waterpump and inspect impeller if it's known to have plastic impeller.

Kingfisher":37c3zbua said:
3LEGGED1":37c3zbua said:
Check your hoses. You might have one collapsing.
They collapse when it's low on coolant. Usually just a symptom
Also collapse when the radiator tubes are partially clogged. A vac forms on the lower hose and it will collapse first. At high rpm, they can both collapse, but it's usually the lower. I would try to back flush the radiator since you have already done the easier stuff and feel the wp is good..

Combustion gases in the coolant system will push water and cause high temps too--bad head gasket or cracked head or leaky combustion cup if it's diesel.

tdc_cattle":29d918fn said:
D2Cat":29d918fn said:

That's a good idea
That will tell you is the radiator is doing it's job. With it cold can you take the cap off and let it warm up to see coolant flow when the thermostat opens?

If the coolant has not been kept changed the tube in the radiator can be clogged restricting flow. If the radiator is not hard to get off that is fairly easy to check with a water hose.

When I had issues with a fairly new tractor with over heating it would also seem to lag a bit on power when it got hot. Goofy as it seems it turned out to be the fuel filter.

dun":3lbcq55e said:
When I had issues with a fairly new tractor with over heating it would also seem to lag a bit on power when it got hot. Goofy as it seems it turned out to be the fuel filter.
Yep is didn't want to complicate things but if everything is right in cooling system other things can cause op complaint

Did you take your radiator, hydraulic oil cooler, and AC condenser out to clean them? I know you said you cleaned them but it is almost impossible to clean them properly in the operating location. Our Ford a/c condenser is made to slide out of the way with the front cap off so you can access the radiator. On our john deeres you have to take the radiator off to get at it good. All tractors are over or approaching 40 years old so you can imagine over that time how dirt and oil have formed in and around the veins. Just my 2 cents and experience with older tractors. Heat temp gun is a good idea to get started with narrowing down the problem. Tractors with a/c are already at a disadvantage for cooling power due to reduced air flow and extra crap to get dirty. If you suspect head you should be able to verify water in oil, exhaust, or around mating surfaces externally. I don't know a lot about AC so I'm not sure if that engine is prone to head gasket problems or not. We have a IH 504 that is and getting it hot for an period of time at all is bad ju ju.

Kingfisher":1laj4tmi said:
dun":1laj4tmi said:
Yep is didn't want to complicate things but if everything is right in cooling system other things can cause op complaint

Checked it over and there are actually three hoses on it and I'd only changed two so I changed the other. It was in bad shape so could have been causing problems. Haven't used it yet though. Friend said that since it's happening when I'm using the PTO maybe the hydraulic filters are restricted and causing extra heat there so I changed the hydraulic filters. If it's still running hot I can change out the fuel filter. I'm really needing to use it for one more day before it have a chance to take the water pump off. I put it on the baler so it's not running as long.

Latest posts