Trace of blood in liquid stool

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I have a couple of year old steers I'm feeding out. They have both been on a 60/40 corn mix with loose mineral and free choice hay for about 2 months. I let them out of the pen on the weekends to graze around the tool shed so I can clean out the pen. They still get their grain ration on the weekends along with their grazing. They go back into the pen Sunday night. Last Tuesday I noticed that one of them had very loose droppings. Since the grass around the tool shed had been very green due to a recent rain I didn't think much of it. When I let them out this Saturday I noticed his stool was pure liquid with a small trace of blood in it. His appetite is still good and he will initiate play with the other calf so he doesn't seem to be feeling poorly. Not sure what to think of this. If he had ate some type of hardware from around the tool shed would his symptoms be similar? Any ideas?

Had a similar problem just a few days ago with our heifers. Took a fecal sample to the vet. They had coccididosis. Simple to treat. Do a google search. Symptoms are bloody and lose feces.

Hope this helps.

Farmgirl

One more thing. Our heifers did not appear to be sick. They were eating good and gaining weight.

Farmgirl

Thanks Farmgirl. I treated them both for coccididosis. Although one had not shown symptoms he had been exposed so I figured I nip it in the bud. A bit expensive though at $24 each for the medicine. They both seem okay now.

Thanks Farmgirl. I treated them both for coccididosis. Although one had not shown symptoms he had been exposed so I figured I nip it in the bud. A bit expensive though at $24 each for the medicine. They both seem okay now.

Glad it helped. Why so much for the meds? Did you get from a vet?

Farmgirl

Yes. I got the meds from the vet. As for cheeper alternatives, I'm still figuring those out. Today, I learned something new.

Latest posts