Too much sun or is it a full moon soon ??

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Geesh ,don't check in for a few days and the strangest thing happens...

Milk Maid and GMN, too very nice gals get a thread locked... :?

:lol: :lol2: :tiphat:

where..i missed it...i wanna see....hey wheres that hottie angie been
crisyssysysyyyyyyy! where you hidin sugarpie

dieselbeef":2sdwsbwk said:

I was wondering about angie to, haven't seen her post for a few days, she must have some time off of work, and working hard on the farm. Will pm her later. forgot to say I have been here, all the time.
medium-smiley-054.gif

what was locked, where?

That was a touchy subject but it reminded me of something I'd like to share. My dad was a vet and I was his endentured servant for many years and many, many hours. On doctor's orders he was told to get a partner to help with the load otherwise he would meet with an untimely death. Dad loved animals and devoted his life to them. One of the interviewees, criticized dad for putting animals to sleep for $5. The vet said that hardly covered the cost of the medicine and they had taught him in school that they should charge $25. Dad told him that $5 was a lot more expensive than the 2 cent cost of a bullet. So given a choice, he chose injection over the bullet. However, in my years of working with him I saw many occassions where a bullet would have been more humane than the injection - especially on cats. Since this time I have always been eager to help butcher cows and am still amazed at how a well placed bullet will snuff the life out of an animal just like flipping the light switch off. I just hope when my time comes I can go with this same speed.

Jo, I shouldn't admit this but I like animals way more than I do people. Maybe it is the unconditional love or the fact that they are happy with what you give them and are not always demanding more from you. But you are right as sometimes it is the only humane thing to do.

I hate to have to put any animal down especially a healthy one ,right now we are in the position to buy the milk replacer and feed a baby but if we were dairying again I think we would have to put the unwanted boys down, no one here is buying them. I remember 10 years a ago when you brought in 10 calves a month to the local auction house for say three months your tab would be back to zero again. Times are tough and are going to get even tougher ,but it is a said day when people are starving to death in the world and we have to put down healthy animals because you cannot even <break even> by raising them.

HD, I agree. This afternoon I was talking to a real close friend of mine who owns a dairy. He was really upset about how things are at the moment. I have heard him complain about not making money before but the tone of his voice today was much different than the usual "want more" tone. There was a desperation in his voice I had never heard before. Six of us brainstormed for two hours trying to come up with alternatives and ideas to help him out. I'm afraid if something doesn't turn around soon many people and many animals will suffer.

sorry Jo I don't agree with the bullet to the Cat, as it is seconds from the injection that the poor little thing is dead, I had to have my best ever cat put to sleep a few years ago now the first one, all others died naturally, and he went before I could take him from the nurses hands, as I wanted him to die in my arms. He was some cat, more like a dog the tricks he knew was amazing, he gave paws for biscuits, stayed and waited for them rolled over on command and snuzzled on request, before he got to big he used to sit on my shoulder, and drape himself over my neck when I got up to walk about, he would stay with me like that all day if he was aloud to.

hillsdown":16p7gm29 said:
Geesh ,don't check in for a few days and the strangest thing happens...

Milk Maid and GMN, too very nice gals get a thread locked... :?

:lol: :lol2: :tiphat:

As someone posted a touchy subject. Pretty surprising to me that it got locked. Sure there was some emotion and passion involved, but it was a subject that is very important in the industry right now and it was a subject that I felt had more merit being discussed here than some of the recent threads on dictators and rednecks that IMHO should be locked(I don't give a crap what your politics are).

chrisy":9yy0gufb said:
dieselbeef":9yy0gufb said:

I was wondering about angie to, haven't seen her post for a few days, she must have some time off of work, and working hard on the farm. Will pm her later. forgot to say I have been here, all the time. what was locked, where?

I am here guys. Summer time in Mn leaves little time for CT. This is the pay back for siitting on my behind all winter :( . Cleaning pens and baling hay ~ is just great to have hay to bale!!

hd ~ that was a fascinating thread and MM is right, is important to discuss what is happening with us as people who raise cattle right now. I appreciate what both sides are saying but firmly believe there is noting wrong with a bullet. We have our cattle for butcher killed on the farm, we pay a man who does it for a living. One shot and the show is over. Literally.

Anyhow ~ Happy 4th folks!! Have a great and fantastic one, and stay safe out there!! :wave:

chrisy":2va02r8r said:
sorry Jo I don't agree with the bullet to the Cat, as it is seconds from the injection that the poor little thing is dead,

Chrisy, I'm not wanting to disagree with you or debate this cause I don't want the thread to go the wrong way. All I'm trying to say is that on the surface, a pin prick might seem seem to be more humane this is not always the case. There are exceptions - as with anything. The most common exception I have withnessed is with cats but it is not limited only to them and I believe this same argument is used by people who oppose lethal injection in humans. The worst case I ever saw was with a cat we put to sleep. We gave it the correct dosage and the people wanted us to bury the body rather than themselves. So we put the body in a holding room until I had time to carry it to my pet cemetary. A while later the cat was crying. Brought it back in and injected it again with another dose. Cat went out like a light. 15 or 20 minutes later the cat is still breathing - comotose maybe - but breathing. Again, inject it with enough medicine to kill a horse. It still clung to life. Dad then changed methods and injected it with something else that was not labelled for this - I could tell he did not like it nor did I. It finally died after about three hours of trying. Don't know why it held on like it did but it did. In this instance I think a 22 to the brain would have been more humane and would have been over and done with in a split second rather than seconds or hours. I agree the mental picture is not as pretty but the mental picture I have in my mind of this cat hanging on is much worse to me anyway. I've never seen a cow suffer from a well placed bullet. They just drop.

Edit: Chrissy, I just re-read the post you responded to and shudder to think what your first impression was when reading it. I wasn't singling out cats for personal reasons as it might have sounded. Hope this post gives you a better understanding of what I based my opinion on.

hey at least the 2 hotties chimed in for some cheap talk....hi ladies..happy 4th ya'll...im werkin but ill be deep fryin a 15 lb turkey. and i might throw some corn in there just to see what happens... :wave:

:lol2: Don't know how I missed seeing this post until now.

HD, I would suspect it's prolly too much sun. :p

On the subject of lethal injection vs. a bullet... everyone always presumes the injection is humane and the most the animal ever feels is the prick of the needle, but, anyone ever noticed how vets always use a sedative or general anesthesia prior to injecting the euthanasia solution? makes one wonder what would happen if the sedative wasn't used. Perhaps lethal injection is actually extremely inhumane. I don't really know, but what I do know is that I've read how the majority of vets feel a bullet is far more humane than euthanizing by lethal injection. (That comes from an article on horse slaughter vs. putting unwanted horses down.)

I wasn't too surprised that the thread was locked, but I was disappointed... it's a messed up world, virtual or reality, where people are not allowed to express and debate opinions. It wasn't even over politics, but rather over a subject that concerns cattle production and management -- and I didn't think there was any name calling or vastly unprofessional debate occurring on that thread.

dieselbeef":31wci31j said:
hey at least the 2 hotties chimed in for some cheap talk... :wave:
I am thinking Jo and TB appreciate your admiration!! :nod:
Happy 4th db ~ keep it safe!

Latest posts