Too Late for Manure?

Help Support CattleToday:

wstevenl

Reaction score
I have some brand new pasture that hasn't even started to come up yet and I would like to spread manure on it but I'm afraid it will burn the young vegetation when it starts to emerge. When should you spread manure (mostly old composted manure and bedding) so that you don't burn the plants?

Old cow manure with compost in it should be fine. Its the green stuff that will get you in trouble. My concern for you is if you get enough rain to get into the soil. It may not do anything for you this year. Here in western WA wouldn't have a problem.

wstevenl":2g86w9ag said:
I have some brand new pasture that hasn't even started to come up yet and I would like to spread manure on it but I'm afraid it will burn the young vegetation when it starts to emerge. When should you spread manure (mostly old composted manure and bedding) so that you don't burn the plants?

When our cows eat hay that has mature seed (clover, fescue, etc.) in it you will see new seedlings sprouting out of the manure piles. I wouldn't worry about burning the young vegetation, especially with composted manure & bedding. Your bigger worry is cutting tracks, smothering seedlings if it's too thick, or spreading weeds.

wstevenl":15eflirw said:

You can spread cattle or horse manure at any time - it will not burn even young plants.

Latest posts