Too close for comfort.

Help Support CattleToday:

Had this one and about a dozen more in a pen made of about 6 of the flimsiest panels TSC sells to load. Standing straight in the trailer those tips touched both sides, 7' wide. At various times in the event those panels were on top of a set of horns traveling various directions. Really got lucky nobody got hurt. Glad you escaped with only minor injuries Kenny.
And those horns aren't as bad as those freakish, 10' spreads that LH breeders want for show cattle, and to sell to people for yard ornaments, etc. Longhorns would actually work out better in my operation than Corrientes....they'd produce bigger calves, but those extra wide horns just make then harder to handle. Longhorns understand the principle of fulcrum and lever very well. Any kind of portable panels you have, are more of a suggestion to them to stay in. And, LHs can have horned or scurred calves when bred to homozygous for polled bulls, too. I have never had a horned or scurred Corr calf, any I have had were LH or LH/Corr crosses. Any LHs I fool with, will be the ones with horns more like this one has. I could get a rope around those to head them. I have used and still do, the occasional Fla Scrub, Fla Cracker, or Pineywoods cattle. Their horns tend to grow up instead of out wide. When and if I do have LHs in the Kudzu operation, they aren't vaccinated, medicated, wormed etc, just like the Corrs. Now, If you had LHs in with other cows that do need that, they can be a real PIA tp work, as @kenny thomas found out.

KT, Interested in what Immobilizer you have?
Wife bought one, years ago, after an evil witch broke my hand and almost broke her arm, while she was in the chute and us trying to get her milked out so her calf could get 'hold of those big ol' teats. This one, though, had alligator clips - one to put on anus/tail fold, the other on a lip. Don't know how you'd use it unless they were caught in the headgate.
I don't ever recall us using it again.
I've seen others, since then, that are more like the electroejaculator rectal probe we use to collect semen samples from bulls.

I learned in my safety class in college why some men grow beards. They showed some pretty nasty cuts where a chainsaw came back up and bit them.

Wife bought one, years ago, after an evil witch broke my hand and almost broke her arm, while she was in the chute and us trying to get her milked out so her calf could get 'hold of those big ol' teats. This one, though, had alligator clips - one to put on anus/tail fold, the other on a lip. Don't know how you'd use it unless they were caught in the headgate.
I've seen others, since then, that are more like the electroejaculator rectal probe we use to collect semen samples from bulls.
I will let Kenny answer as to which one he is using now. He bought one of the original ones that were invented in Greenville, TN. A friend of mine knew the guy that invented it and he tried out one of the prototypes and almost damn near killed a calf with it. Those plugged into an outlet.

I actually have one of each. The one with the clips also hs a small probe. Yes they would need to be in the headchute. When mine had problems last fall i bought one like a rectal probe from Jeanne-Simme Valley. Used it once before i got mine repaired. It works fine but too big for small calves.

I will let Kenny answer as to which one he is using now. He bought one of the original ones that were invented in Greenville, TN. A friend of mine knew the guy that invented it and he tried out one of the prototypes and almost damn near killed a calf with it. Those plugged into an outlet.
Yes thats it. Mine works great. After several years i had to replace the internal battery pack last fall. $20+ dollars.
You cant find any of them like this online now. I was told that a big company bought his patent and the price trippled.

I use Dr. Naylor's dehorning paste on the calves. Jerseys have wicked sharp little hook and toss horns. Working close around them all the time they might just be trying to get a fly a person could get punctured or loose a tooth. They look better too.