tons o newbies...hmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
buying into cattle must be the new fad..not only a plethora of newbies on here but i have feed customers that dont even know which end of a cow eats , buying 8 2 day old diary calfs and wanting to know if theyll eat my feed? :help:

um...hello...im nt the only one noticing this surely :dunce:

i mean i give any advice i can but it just seems like a lot of people gitting into this game like its all glory and easy living...hell ive only got 25 cows and witha 6 day a week job and the feed biz i sllep when im drivin to work cuz its the only time i get to sit down..well ...when im on here dont count

I dont fault folks for wanting to get into cattle...if you have too much cash, your best investment is still land. It is a strong asset. If you have land and you want to enjoy it, you either have to mow it constantly, or 2) get some cows to mow it for you.

There are a lot of folks who buy cows, turn em out, and dont look at them again for a year or more....not to my surprise the cows do fine. As long there is grass/water the cattle are fine. They are not the gentle, good looking, high dollar cows, but they have calves, and mow the grass.

marksmu":3bbl92yq said:
I dont fault folks for wanting to get into cattle...if you have too much cash, your best investment is still land. It is a strong asset. If you have land and you want to enjoy it, you either have to mow it constantly, or 2) get some cows to mow it for you.

There are a lot of folks who buy cows, turn em out, and dont look at them again for a year or more....not to my surprise the cows do fine. As long there is grass/water the cattle are fine. They are not the gentle, good looking, high dollar cows, but they have calves, and mow the grass.
add a good herd health program to that,, ive seen cattle on good grass and water look like somebody stole their guts

ALACOWMAN":36hn00ro said:
could be raising beef for themselves,,, or while the prices are good everbody gets in on the act.. we got a couple rich good time ranchers here

gettin in while the prices are good seems backwards to me..buyin in high? kinda some of my other thinkin bout the newbies

gary

dieselbeef":v6u3hisd said:
ALACOWMAN":v6u3hisd said:
could be raising beef for themselves,,, or while the prices are good everbody gets in on the act.. we got a couple rich good time ranchers here

gettin in while the prices are good seems backwards to me..buyin in high? kinda some of my other thinkin bout the newbies

gary
yes it is backward,,, but you'd be suprized at the ones that do

Neighbor pulled up a couple weeks ago....had a $10 holstein bull calf in the back of his PU with all 4 feet taped together with duct tape....an $80 bag of milk replacer and a bottle and a nipple...said "I stole this calf for $10 at the salebarn). Couldn't do a thing but wish him well but did tell him he probably should go ahead adn buy some electrolytes and scour bolus'. Gonna raise it on a dog tie out with a collar on him. :cry2: Now this guy is 60 years old and never owned anything but a little house dog and cat.

least he only bought one...one of my cust bought 7..another one bought 3...never asked why i apid 550 for mine and they paid 30...ummm...now that i think about ...ah..never mind

I have never tried raising dairy calves. But last week at the sale barn a man had 15 Holstein bulls. All the bulls sold for $94.50 to $98.50 and all were 1780 lbs to 2175 lbs.

dont ya just love it when greenhorns start buying cattle an baby calves.most people want to keep the ag exemption on their places.because the taxes would be to high to pay.

highgrit":1r92lu3j said:
I have never tried raising dairy calves. But last week at the sale barn a man had 15 Holstein bulls. All the bulls sold for $94.50 to $98.50 and all were 1780 lbs to 2175 lbs.

Large Holstein bulls sell just as well as other bulls for hamburgr and they grow fast once they start getting the same feed a dairy cow gets so you cna figure it cost him about $5 a day to feed the thing.

TexasBred":hehld43l said:
you cna figure it cost him about $5 a day to feed the thing.
Nonsense! Ask any customer I've ever had and they'll set you straight... Bulls breed their cows for FREEEE! :lol2:

hey, urge them on! the more they buy, the higher the prices will be..

We had a neighbor who regularly bought an old cow from us for beef, and well, he'd usually get a 1600 lb animal that was meaty.. then one year he bought 2 dairy calves and fed them, and fed them, and fed them.. one ate some bale twine and died, and the other was still a skimpy thing with no meat on it... he gave up on that idea and though that buying a good butcher cow for $1000 bucks that had a lot of meat was a lot cheaper

Then you have all the people who buy miniatures, dexters, and soforth with horrid tempers because "they're small and will be easy to handle"... If they want my advice, I'll give it, though I know they've got their mind set anyhow... Give me a 1800 lb cow with a good temper any day before a 600 lb high strung witch!

marksmu":25flqur8 said:

Where do you live?

Lots of people out here are jumping into it. Problem is, they buy some junk at the sale barn, it gets sick, and who do they call...me...constantly.
It gets kinda old, but I've also bought some of these people's "junk" and turned them around for a nice profit, so theres a bright side.
Problem is, these people get frustrated quickly when they realize it's actually "work" to keep healthy animals, especially if they're raising bottle calves.

dieselbeef":2aqq9b9x said:
least he only bought one...one of my cust bought 7..another one bought 3...never asked why i apid 550 for mine and they paid 30...ummm...now that i think about ...ah..never mind

If I ever did bottle babies again, no way would I do less than 10. It is a twice a day commitment. Doing one calf is insane.

Rig alleys out of panels and shut them in. Put in bottle racks. Drop the bottles. When they finish collect the bottles and let them out. Not much difference in numbers.

Latest posts