W/O COOL - Carcass Quality Means Nothing

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
With this message, the NCBA worked with Canada, Mexico and the World Trade Organization (WTO) to convince Congress to repeal country of origin labeling (COOL). And Congress did.

Has anyone considered what this repeal of COOL means? It means the decades of breeding for carcass quality has been a total waste. All those producers who have spent their lives breeding beef animals for better quality have had their efforts flushed down the toilet by a stroke of the pen.

If US of A beef and water buffalo from India can be put on the same shelf and presented as equal, what was the value in breeding all those years for a better cut of meat?

This has got to be the most corrupt, disgusting country on the planet. It is more disgusting than Zimbabwe. In Zimbabwe, corruption is conducted in the light of the sun. In the good ole US of A it is conducted behind your back while they look you in the face and plant a big kiss on your lips.

Margonme":3dpsic6b said:
With this message, the NCBA worked with Canada, Mexico and the World Trade Organization (WTO) to convince Congress to repeal country of origin labeling (COOL). And Congress did.

Has anyone considered what this repeal of COOL means? It means the decades of breeding for carcass quality has been a total waste. All those producers who have spent their lives breeding beef animals for better quality have had their efforts flushed down the toilet by a stroke of the pen.

If US of A beef and water buffalo from India can be put on the same shelf and presented as equal, what was the value in breeding all those years for a better cut of meat?

This has got to be the most corrupt, disgusting country on the planet. It is more disgusting than Zimbabwe. In Zimbabwe, corruption is conducted in the light of the sun. In the good ole US of A it is conducted behind your back while they look you in the face and plant a big kiss on your lips.

We eat the crap and export the quality. The consumer needs to join the fight and then something might get done. And we as taxpayers need to make sure all the armed services and prison systems use US of A produced beef. We don't eat imported fruits or vegetables. We pay more but get more, the consumer is not educated to ask the country of origin of their food. All the beef from Brazil is coming in as ground meat. Mexican beef is a hit or miss look and quality wise. And the best I know I've never ate any imported beef or seafood, and don't plan to.

Beef is still being given a USDA rating, and prime carcasses will still bring more money. Of all the bad things that can and should be said about the decision, I don't think this is one of them.

M.Magis":qb21jbd1 said:
Beef is still being given a USDA rating, and prime carcasses will still bring more money. Of all the bad things that can and should be said about the decision, I don't think this is one of them.

I was being a bit facetious.

It will affect the competition between USDA graded beef and imported beef. Meatpackers can now import live bovines, slaughter and pack them here, put them need to USDA graded beef without any disclosure that it came from Beefganistan.

True Grit Farms":2iwfzff2 said:
Margonme":2iwfzff2 said:

We eat the crap and export the quality. The consumer needs to join the fight and then something might get done. And we as taxpayers need to make sure all the armed services and prison systems use US of A produced beef. We don't eat imported fruits or vegetables. We pay more but get more, the consumer is not educated to ask the country of origin of their food. All the beef from Brazil is coming in as ground meat. Mexican beef is a hit or miss look and quality wise. And the best I know I've never ate any imported beef or seafood, and don't plan to.

You and everyone else will eat imported beef now buddy, and you will not know where it came from.

M.Magis":2fo7gjez said:
Margonme":2fo7gjez said:
I was being a bit facetious.
Sorry, I can be a bit slow. :D

I am serious that the "chickenization" of the cattle industry will diminish the premium for quality breeding. Meatpackers are not interested in EPDs, not if they can get "pounds" for one-third the expense. Stated in this excerpt from the OP on the "Why Beef Prices Went Down" thread:

This unprecedented investigation is our last best chance to stop the multinational meatpackers from capturing control over our live cattle supply chain through vertical integration. They already accomplished this capture in both the poultry and hog industries. We call the processes of capturing control over livestock supply chains "chickenization." So, this is our last chance to stop the meatpackers from chickenizing our cattle industry. We hope you will help us.

I think most of the beef imported into the US is going to be ground HB meat.
We live in a fast food world.
It will be hamburgers, tacos, chili and etc.

Seriously I think it may come to retained ownership and being paid for what you raise.

Either that or raising contract cattle for JBS, Cargill and the like and being paid for your service.

Look at the pork and pork industry
Pretty simple to see the pattern

While I hope that something will change soon for the better, I would think that branded beef products like CAB, CHB, etc. would be supported more at this point if consumers knew what was happening. I think this goes beyond carcass quality but also in terms of management and standards. We have to adhere to standards and regulations and I am just not sure what management practices some of those places have.

Margonme":1c46emog said:
True Grit Farms":1c46emog said:
Margonme":1c46emog said:

You and everyone else will eat imported beef now buddy, and you will not know where it came from.

Not going to happen, I usually eat chicken or pork when I go out. And ALL the beef we eat in this house is a product of the US of A, we ask every time. The butcher shop we deal with gets all their beef out of Nebraska. It's all CAB and comes hanging and dry aged. We cut no corners on food and don't mind paying for quality.
This COOL and Brazilian beef imports deal might make CAB even a better selling point. It looks like Angus is where it's at boys. Now the AAA needs to require DNA testing for any animal sold as CAB.

greybeard":zaxspd8c said:
Ky hills":zaxspd8c said:
Glad we fattened a beef this summer.
And with these low prices, we can now afford to eat our own home raise cattle--not that this is such a good thing.

It is a double edge for sure. I don't know how this situation will turn out, if the most consumers knew some may stop or cut back on their beef purchases, but maybe enough would be vocal that something might be changed.

If the market is flooded with substandard beef then wouldn't this mean mean the percentage of high quality grainfed beef will be less in relation to the total supply and hence demand a higher price? Of course it would suck if you were peddling lean grassfed beef because they just pulled the rug out from under these producers. But then again, there also the ones who said cattlemen who were grain finishing cattle were bad people so it seems karma still exists.

Quality will always sell.

Jogeephus":2v8ed2jc said:
If the market is flooded with substandard beef then wouldn't this mean mean the percentage of high quality grainfed beef will be less in relation to the total supply and hence demand a higher price? Of course it would suck if you were peddling lean grassfed beef because they just pulled the rug out from under these producers. But then again, there also the ones who said cattlemen who were grain finishing cattle were bad people so it seems karma still exists.

I have had the same thoughts about quality, since this whole fiasco broke out. I'm just about convinced that quality no longer matters to people. They throw a pat of garlic infused butter on their dry Brazilian raised beef and go on. Remember when every town had an appliance repair store? Kinda the same deal. We used to buy a blender worth working on. Now we buy a disposable blender, and nobody even cares. You and I enjoy a fine meal. A prime cut of beef etc and so on. How many people are left like you and I though?

Bigfoot":3l4x8loj said:
Jogeephus":3l4x8loj said:

I have had the same thoughts about quality, since this whole fiasco broke out. I'm just about convinced that quality no longer matters to people. They throw a pat of garlic infused butter on their dry Brazilian raised beef and go on. Remember when every town had an appliance repair store? Kinda the same deal. We used to buy a blender worth working on. Now we buy a disposable blender, and nobody even cares. You and I enjoy a fine meal. A prime cut of beef etc and so on. How many people are left like you and I though?

Exactly what I was going to respond but I got busy and you beat me to it.

Quality does sell to the top end of the market but we need to compete up and down the chain.

Most of today's beef is boxed and ground. I don't know of store where the butcher actually breaks down beef anymore. I am not sure it is even taught anymore when I went through the apprenticeship you had to break down and make all the cuts with a hand bone saw and steak knife.

That said I think quality still brings a premium I averaged 1.60 in August 20 th on heavy 4 wts steers 1.45 on the heifers. We are just marketing the lion today everything else is going in the hamburger bin.

Latest posts