Today's sale

Help Support CattleToday:

I went to the sale at Wills Point Texas Saturday. Had bred Brangus heifers that were long bred ranging from $1850-$2050. Had a set of Brahman cows that were long bred that brought $1800-$2300 bred to Hereford bulls. The top end of the crossbred cows that were 3-6 years old and long bred were from $1600-$2000. I bought 4 Charolais crossbred cows that were 5 years old with 350-400/lb yellow bull calves and were bred back 5-6 months for $2350. Picked up a few more bred cows that were closer to plain than fancy that cost $1600-$1800. They were all 6-8 months bred. Seem like the caliber of cows is going down every week and they are getting higher and higher every week. Pure craziness.

F1TIGERSTRIPE":2k06nuh4 said:
I went to the sale at Wills Point Texas Saturday. Had bred Brangus heifers that were long bred ranging from $1850-$2050. Had a set of Brahman cows that were long bred that brought $1800-$2300 bred to Hereford bulls. The top end of the crossbred cows that were 3-6 years old and long bred were from $1600-$2000. I bought 4 Charolais crossbred cows that were 5 years old with 350-400/lb yellow bull calves and were bred back 5-6 months for $2350. Picked up a few more bred cows that were closer to plain than fancy that cost $1600-$1800. They were all 6-8 months bred. Seem like the caliber of cows is going down every week and they are getting higher and higher every week. Pure craziness.
If I had a pocket full of money and was at a sale like that, it wouldn't be good. I love Brahman and Brahman x cattle, I would sure own a bunch at the end.

That's good news! I'll let you know how I did. Either way this will be the highest priced calves I ever sold in my life.

Kscattle":2u7p81cj said:
That's good news! I'll let you know how I did. Either way this will be the highest priced calves I ever sold in my life.
Alot of people have been saying that. Hope they do great.

denvermartinfarms":ahm4v6bx said:
F1TIGERSTRIPE":ahm4v6bx said:
If I had a pocket full of money and was at a sale like that, it wouldn't be good. I love Brahman and Brahman x cattle, I would sure own a bunch at the end.

I know what you mean!! Just about all of our herd has some Brahman influence in them. I would say 80% of ours are Tigerstripe and the rest are crossbred cattle but they all have a little ear. We get some low birth weight Charolais bulls from Illinois to breed them with. Man do they produce some super nice calves. We shipped a load to Oklahoma City yesterday that we had left over. They were weighing 850-1100. I haven't got a report yet on how they sold. For some reason they market up there is always 12-15 cents higher than here.

F1TIGERSTRIPE":3rubshu0 said:
denvermartinfarms":3rubshu0 said:
F1TIGERSTRIPE":3rubshu0 said:

I know what you mean!! Just about all of our herd has some Brahman influence in them. I would say 80% of ours are Tigerstripe and the rest are crossbred cattle but they all have a little ear. We get some low birth weight Charolais bulls from Illinois to breed them with. Man do they produce some super nice calves. We shipped a load to Oklahoma City yesterday that we had left over. They were weighing 850-1100. I haven't got a report yet on how they sold. For some reason they market up there is always 12-15 cents higher than here.

I started with all brangus, and now have some of everything. I do have some Brahman heifers bred to a Hereford so we'll see what I get there.

F1TIGERSTRIPE":23b5q03e said:
The tigerstripe heifers you get off of them would fetch a premium around my area. lol.
They won't do that good here, but I want them for cows anyway, if there steers I'll take a little hit, but that's ok.

1000lb steers 1.48 to 1.51cwt, that's 3 to 5 higher than I've seen in a while. 1500$ is pretty good for a calf a year or so old IMO.

My steers were a little smaller than I thought but sold good. 675lbs @$1.67 and heifers were 545lbs@$1.65. Weights on heifers would have been higher but I kept some of the bigger ones for replacements. I hope these prices are this high again next year

Earlier this week before today, 400lb steers where as high as 2.28cwt some 500lb steers were up to about 1.97 and my favorite 1000lb steers are still 1.49 to 1.53cwt.

Today with the ice and snow, numbers were way down and they were a touch cheaper, not bad, but not any stronger than early in the week, not any reflection on the market just short on buyers.

Attempted to sell some on Sat after that crazy storm and the buyers were just not where I wanted them to be. So I no sold a few. Had 2 640 heifers that they wanted to give 1.26-1.28 for and thought that was cheap for what they are. Dad sold some 721 steers that he let go for 1.44 which was 1000 bucks a piece but still felt that was a little low for what they were, but not too bad.

machslammer":27m6pvxe said:
Attempted to sell some on Sat after that crazy storm and the buyers were just not where I wanted them to be. So I no sold a few. Had 2 640 heifers that they wanted to give 1.26-1.28 for and thought that was cheap for what they are. Dad sold some 721 steers that he let go for 1.44 which was 1000 bucks a piece but still felt that was a little low for what they were, but not too bad.
Carthage?

machslammer":2iy0xjlg said:
I wouldn't have done that either.

Sold 2 loads of mid-January delivery feeder steers, $157 at 775, California.

tom4018":39uq391k said:
machslammer":39uq391k said:
Carthage?

Albany ky

Bought a load of steers today for a buyer in KY weighing 770 costing 157.85 per lb. 50,065 lbs. Hard to get much closer to the 50,000 lb load than that.

Latest posts