Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Today is Labor Day. The first Labor Day was celebrated one hundred and twenty-four years ago, on Tuesday, September 5, 1882. The holiday was the idea of the Central Labor Union in New York City, which organized a parade and a picnic featuring speeches by union leaders. It was intended to celebrate labor unions and to recognize the achievements of the American worker.

On that first Labor Day, twenty thousand workers crowded the streets in a parade up Broadway. They carried banners that said, "Labor creates all wealth," and "Eight hours for work, eight hours for rest, eight hours for recreation!" After the parade, people held picnics all over the city. They ate Irish stew, homemade bread, and apple pie. When it got dark, fireworks went off over the skyline. The celebrations became more popular across the country in the next ten years. In 1894, Congress made Labor Day a national holiday.

Today, for most Americans, Labor Day marks the end of summer and the last day before the start of the school year

I wish it marked the beginning of the school year. Our kids are in private school (public schools around here are WEAK) and they started August 7th.

As far as Labor Unions go, my perpective is from down South where they are not as strong. But dad was a member of the IBEW for years before starting his own non-union electrical business. His opinion, and mine as well, is that many unions have out lived their usefullness to their members and society. I'm sure many still serve their members and the public well.

Labor day in now just another day for me to go find a new grill on sale at Home Depot...leaving in a few minutes...

I know what you mean - mine started two weeks ago :mad:

I labor way more than 8 hours and don't see many 8 hour rests or recreations!

I worked in Alaska as a teen and was in a union - worked ok for me, but AZ is a "right to work" state - that means you pretty much have a right to work for low wages and no benenfits (like being a rancher!!!) It's a complex issue, but in general I think the right for workers to organize is important. A lot of horrible exploitation has and can happen to people trying to make a living.

Hippie Rancher":28ys502i said:
It's a complex issue, but in general I think the right for workers to organize is important. A lot of horrible exploitation has and can happen to people trying to make a living.

It is definitely a complex issue and I agree with you on the right to organize. I grew up in a strong union family ( my Dad was a member of IBEW for 40+ years) and I was a Teamster for 27 years.

I did learn, however, that unions can also exploit it's members. Saw it many times. A perfect example was the 1997 UPS strike. Ron Carey, Teamsters president at the time, hated UPS so much that he was bound and determined to call a strike no matter what was offered. He wanted to "stick it" to UPS management and in the process hurt thousands of his members who bore the financial burden of the strike. Many were laid off for months afterwards and many others never got their jobs back. I was one of the lucky ones, and I'm thankful for that.

One of the sticking points of that strike was the pension fund. UPS wanted to take control of it and, of course, the union would have none of it. So I asked the question: "Who do I want controlling my future? A very successful, respected, financially stable company or an organization whose last 5 presidents ended up in prison for stealing from the pension fund?" Made some enemies for asking that question but what the heck. I found out who my real friends were.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: I support the concept of unions and was proud to be a part of one, but that doesn't mean I have to always blindly follow what they want me to do. Union leaders can be as exploitive, greedy, and uncaring as company execs. Sorry for rambling, but this subject hits close to home.

VanC, I agree with you 100%. My dad was a underground coal miner and a staunch member of the UMW. When I was growing up I thought John L. Lewis was a distant uncle or something. I have lived long enough to see workers terribly exploited by those in management and by those union leaders. You can find snakes in the grass anywhere.

Latest posts