To keep or not to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I've been on here, so, how's everybody doing? Here is my conundrum (question), I've always wanted to use that word. I'm wanting to expand my herd (29 mamma cows), is it better to keep heifers, or sell heifers and buy mamma cows bred? I've always sold the heifers and bought a couple cows in return, but I'm flip-flopping this time, trying to decide which is better. All of my current herd is between 8 and 10 yrs old, any advice is welcome.

Here is my elucidation ( I always wanted to use THAT word) Why not do a little of both? keep a few heifers back, and then buy some bred cows. That way you would have a little variation on the age of your herd.

I would keep some heifers and buy some cows. You are also going to need to start thinking about replacing some of those older cows, and with killer prices as good as they are now you can reeplace a old cow with a good young bred cow for not to bad of a difference.

What i meant was i would keep my very best heifers, and sell the rest if they are not really good and buy some cows with that money.

Rowdyred,

Re:
is it better to keep heifers, or sell heifers and buy mamma cows bred?

Historicly it has been proven it is better to keep your heifers and run a closed herd then it is to commingle herds.

Remember, when you buy someone else's cattle, you are buying someone else's culls.

SL

Sir Loin":jhru8qa8 said:
Rowdyred,

Re:
is it better to keep heifers, or sell heifers and buy mamma cows bred?

Historicly it has been proven it is better to keep your heifers and run a closed herd then it is to commingle herds.

Remember, when you buy someone else's cattle, you are buying someone else's culls.

SL
I would disagree Mr. Loin. I sold all of my heifers this year and sold them for a premium. Most of them were A.I. sired and some of the highest quality heifers I have ever produced. I kept back none. I am buying back registered stock. I know several people like me who at times have sold their best heifers to either invest in registered stock or go another direction toward a different goal.

Dun,

That all depends on which side of the fence you are on!

If you are a seller, they are called "market cows and bulls" .

If you are a buyer they are called "culls " because you know no history of the animal or you must accept someone's word who speaks for the animal.

FYI: : Cull " is not a derogatory word. It simply means an animal is being removed from someone's herd for what ever reason, and offered for sale and caveat emptor applies.

SL

Hoss,

Re:
. I kept back none. I am buying back registered stock.
No problem here, I have done the very same thing, many times.

But, the risk factor for disease does go up when ever you bring new stock into your herd.
And there is always the chance that the genetics are not what you are told, even from a breeder.

We all try not to buy a pig in a poke, but in reality, that is exactly what we are doing, unless the animal comes with a guarantee.
SL.

I appreciate the comments and advice, I think I will keep this bunch of heifers (they are all nice heifers), I need to sell(cull) a couple cows that are getting on in age. The next group of heifers, I will keep the best, sell the rest. My goal is the reach 60+ by the time I retire, 8 years. Thanks again

Sir Loin":6j57064a said:
Hoss,

Re:
. I kept back none. I am buying back registered stock.

We all try not to buy a pig in a poke, but in reality, that is exactly what we are doing, unless the animal comes with a guarantee.
SL.
They do. DNA and health certificate from vet listing tests and vaccines.

Latest posts