To implant or not to implant

Help Support CattleToday:

Being cautious about new research, financed by the manufacturer is prudent.
But, implants have been around forever - researched over and over by unbiased trials.
I do not implant, because I get a premium for not implanting, dealing with an individual feedlot.
Buck was spot-on!
I posted a thread on the amount of hormones in implanted steers vs non-implanted steers. So minuscule, not worth discussing.

We used implants in the past. Three different vets told me not to implant replacement heifers.We quit using implants 3 years ago. With better genetics we see as much growth without them. Also when they announce no implants they bring more. Have had feeder buyers so they prefer no implants. So for us it makes us money not to implant

bird dog said:
So enough people implant in your area that the sale barn has to announce when they don't implant? Thats interesting.

4-5 years ago breeders announced they were implanted. Haven't heard it in a while. I know some local sources say they don't sell many anymore. So no not a lot used anymore. But it is like announcing what shots you gave, how long weaned, any program like the Vita Ferm, GTO heifers. And just because a breeder don't have them guaranteed open doesn't mean they are pregnant. Some breeders just don't realize it adds calue Each can influence a premium. And every breeder I know want every penny they can get.

5S Cattle said:
https://www.beefmagazine.com/animal-health/implants-boost-pounds-calves-and-stockers

You do realize that is an ad for Elanco products don't you. What I see here is different. I feel we each have to make management decisions on what brings the highest rate of return to us.

Ky hills said:
5S Cattle said:
I'll stick with science, and with 90% of people who make their living with cattle do.

What ever works. Personally, my take on science and new techniques in raising cattle, can sometimes be beneficial. Not convinced it's always practical or all together better. I have come to see things in terms of lots of companies and folks making money off of cattle producers.

Very well stated. I agree.

callmefence said:
Buck Randall said:
callmefence said:
The fact you want to call me names pretty much proves you have nothing to add. My facts are based on my experience. Not on what I read on the internet.
When I post here, I'm either funning around or I'm posting on my actual experience. Never regurgitation of something I heard. Which is all you seem to post. I'm not trying to tear anything down. Just putting in my two cents. If you have a problem with that...go hump a stump...To quote highgrit
I don't believe anything I hear , and only half of what I see.

I didn't call you names. How should I interpret you posting "Just remember, the science is usually the work of the ones selling the product." Sure sounds like an attempt to discredit the science to me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go find a stump. :D

Yes when the science if produced by the same people selling the product. Distributed by a magazine that sells add space to the same.
It doesn't carry much creditability with me. 10 years ago everybody was using implants around here. That has gone to almost no one using them.....
Your excused... don't hurt yourself

The same here. Some stores don't carry them anymore because they didn't sell enough. I don't buy anything from a biased articles promoting the advertiser/sponsors products.

Basically, what this amounts to is that we are being dictated by the "organic/non-GMO type crowd". Because people are afraid of implanted beef, the prices are discounted. Even though we, as beef producers, "could" make more money because of the pounds gained using the product, we end up not gaining because they pay less for the animals, so we don't use it.
Vicious circle - free enterprise we are in.

Little Cow said:
I've seen the too many FFA and 4H steers implanted. Makes them aggressive. Not something I want around our kid when we are working cattle. That's fine though. We sell our beef to the folks that have concerns about the steroids in the meat. That's also why we raise our own and why we never bid on club steers at the fair. Lots of extra implants going in those. The cheating around here ticked me off. They brag about it. What are teaching 4H and FFA kids by telling them to give extra implants?

Gains aside... has anyone else noticed an increased aggression from implanted calves when compared to non-implanted?

TwoByrdsMG said:
Little Cow said:
I've seen the too many FFA and 4H steers implanted. Makes them aggressive. Not something I want around our kid when we are working cattle. That's fine though. We sell our beef to the folks that have concerns about the steroids in the meat. That's also why we raise our own and why we never bid on club steers at the fair. Lots of extra implants going in those. The cheating around here ticked me off. They brag about it. What are teaching 4H and FFA kids by telling them to give extra implants?

Gains aside... has anyone else noticed an increased aggression from implanted calves when compared to non-implanted?
I implanted three steers this year for the first time ever just to see if there was a difference in rate of gain, and based on those three I saw no increased aggression in any of them. All three were and still are very docile. But I know my sample size here is very small.

For what it's worth, I do know that some of the "show bulls" that have semen available for AI'ing have very poor docility EPDs and I wonder if that is why we see some aggression from the FFA, 4H and Junior show animals.

Luckiamute said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
Little Cow said:

I implanted three steers this year for the first time ever just to see if there was a difference in rate of gain, and based on those three I saw no increased aggression in any of them. All three were and still are very docile. But I know my sample size here is very small.

For what it's worth, I do know that some of the "show bulls" that have semen available for AI'ing have very poor docility EPDs and I wonder if that is why we see some aggression from the FFA, 4H and Junior show animals.

When I was a child (many years ago) my parents ran stocker cattle, they had them implanted. I don't recall any disposition issues from them. I don't implant, and have ended up with several crazy ones that we have bought, I feel that it is more of a genetics and/or management issues as much as anything. I have also heard stories of the "club calf" dispositions which in honesty disturbs me greatly. Actually know of a situation where someone was killed by a club calf. I personally think that Increased popularity of AI has had a role in increase of docility issues.

Yeah, I was going to say I also implanted many, many years ago. Never saw a difference before, during, or after the years of calves. Back then, my daughter showed in 4-H and all her steers would have been implanted. They were puppies.
I have never heard of any disposition/aggression issues, but I have heard recently about "bulling" in "some".

TwoByrdsMG said:
Little Cow said:

What kind of implants? The ones with TBA in them will make cattle look and act like bulls if there isn't enough energy in the ration.

I've been implanting the vast majority of steers on our place for nearly 40 years... mostly Ralgro, but some Synovex-C(years ago), and Compudose(for the past couple of years, while Ralgro was unavailable). Not sure I ever saw a noticeable difference between an unimplanted steer and its implanted cohorts... cow performance and birth order during the course of the season probably had greater influence... but I am unwilling to 'leave that money on the table'... given that the calves are on a good plane of nutrition, enhanced weights have been proven over and over.
I can't speak to implants containing TBA, but have never seen - and never heard - until the claim made in this thread, that implants adversely affect temperament...they shouldn't, as they function primarily by stimulating the pituitary to release extra growth hormone, resulting in increased lean body mass.

Latest posts