To implant or not to implant

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hey y'all!
Since it doesn't look like we will be getting irrigation anytime soon at this point i'm looking to improve growth more during the dry season at least.
Can y'all tell me more about implants? Really have ZERO experience with them or know anyone who does.
Which do you use and why?
Is it actually worth it?
What situation are you using it in? Irrigation or green grass required to make it effective? Only on cattle being sold vs retained?
Do you also use them on your heifers? Some of the warnings i'm reading from manufacturers say issues can occur in heifers. Does this actually seem to happen? Would you not use them on heifers you may end up keeping as replacements? Most our heifers are shipped to market so don't want to cause issues with buyers depending on what they want to do with them.
Most of our calves are already weaned now and headed for the market the 11th. Don't think there will be any benefit at this point for them (and not sure I can sell them with the implant?) but I do have a heifer that is out of a young cow that we plan to keep and could use a little extra growth.
Thank you in advance for the information and advice!

There's no benefit to implanting calves shortly before you sell them, and you might even get docked for it if they notice. Buyers have their own implant programs and would prefer not to have someone else's implant getting in the way.

In general, though, calves destined for the feedlot should be implanted unless someone is paying you a premium not to use them. There's an implant available for just about any feed or management situation, so you'd have to be more specific about what kind of animals you have and what they'll be eating.

Some implants are safe for replacement heifers. A lot of people won't use them on heifers that they plan to keep for a variety of reasons, but they don't hurt from a reproductive standpoint as long as you use the right implants at the right age.

Buck Randall said:
There's no benefit to implanting calves shortly before you sell them, and you might even get docked for it if they notice. Buyers have their own implant programs and would prefer not to have someone else's implant getting in the way.

In general, though, calves destined for the feedlot should be implanted unless someone is paying you a premium not to use them. There's an implant available for just about any feed or management situation, so you'd have to be more specific about what kind of animals you have and what they'll be eating.

Some implants are safe for replacement heifers. A lot of people won't use them on heifers that they plan to keep for a variety of reasons, but they don't hurt from a reproductive standpoint as long as you use the right implants at the right age.

That would make sense. I really hadn't intended on implanting this group. At the moment just the one heifer as a trial sort of thing. Am thinking next years crop but only if its actually worth the added expense.
We're running commercial and registered black Angus and a few BWF. Strictly dry ground after the rainy season. So green grass for the first couple months of their lives and dry pasture until about this time of year. We usually sell November. This year the hay is no good nutrition wise so we're selling early/smaller plus we ran out of pasture earlier than normal.
I hadn't read that there was different ones for different situations and heifer vs steers. Guess I'll keep researching them! Thanks a bunch!

Most cow/calf producers are going to be using a product like Ralgro or Synovex C on calves prior to weaning. They're small, cheap, and are completely spent within a couple of months. You're looking at around a dollar or two for the implant and probably weaning calves 10-20 pounds heavier, from what I've seen. Not a huge difference that you'll see with your eyes, but something that adds up, especially if you have a lot of calves to sell.
If you keep calves and background them on grass, there are a bunch of implants designed for that with a payout of 3-6 months. Look for something with "G" or "Grass" in the name.

Buck Randall said:
Most cow/calf producers are going to be using a product like Ralgro or Synovex C on calves prior to weaning. They're small, cheap, and are completely spent within a couple of months. You're looking at around a dollar or two for the implant and probably weaning calves 10-20 pounds heavier, from what I've seen. Not a huge difference that you'll see with your eyes, but something that adds up, especially if you have a lot of calves to sell.
If you keep calves and background them on grass, there are a bunch of implants designed for that with a payout of 3-6 months. Look for something with "G" or "Grass" in the name.

Very helpful! Thank you!

callmefence said:
I've done it both ways in the same group.
Never seen it make a difference..

What'd you use? I use ralgro and Noticed a difference. Guess you could say one group had better mommas but they were about 20 lbs heavier

5S Cattle said:
callmefence said:
I've done it both ways in the same group.
Never seen it make a difference..

What'd you use? I use ralgro and Noticed a difference. Guess you could say one group had better mommas but they were about 20 lbs heavier

Ralgro. Lots of things can make a twenty pound difference....21/2 gallons of water for example.

5S Cattle said:
skyhightree1 said:
VaCowman said:
Unless you are getting paid to NOT imlant your calves, you should.

I never have and did fine

It costs a buck and adds 20 extra lbs. It doesn't make sense not to do it.

I will repeat... I have done fine without it. I would also be willing to bet my calves gain same as your implanted or better. Probably be willing to bet you any tractor on my farm.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
skyhightree1 said:
VaCowman said:

You have virtually quit the business and discourage others from getting in.

Implant 'em if ya got 'em.
And don't forget the garlic and cinnamon :nod:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
skyhightree1 said:
VaCowman said:

You have virtually quit the business and discourage others from getting in.

Implant 'em if ya got 'em.

By all means but I never needed implants... I wised up and I am trying to save someone from making a bad mistake. I told another person on here not to do it.. I think they now wish they listened. I like cattle I just don't like their profitability. If one wants to go in to toss money away by all means its better than using your money on drugs.

When buying stocker steer calves, my parents used to have them implanted along with the working program the vets did then. When I started out in cows and calves, I never did it, was always warned against implanting heifers that might be kept as replacements. It may well be beneficial in terms of a few extra pounds, but I always figure those types of things are subjective to a lot of factors.

Latest posts