To everyone who thinks brangus are wild

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":2k93ozyg said:
KNERSIE":2k93ozyg said:
I have pulled out a gun and shot a cow dead on the spot more than once for crossing that line.

I often see comments like this on the boards, more so in the case of sick animals or those that went down for whatever reason, even if they were only down a few hours. If that works for you, please don't let me stop you, but over here I don't get a cent for a dead animal, whether I shot it out of anger, fear or compassion.

Vet bills typically are far less than the salvage value of the animal and in the vast majority of the cases the animal can be pulled through with care and attention. I certainly wouldn't just start shooting cattle, hope some of the less experienced people would atleast think about it and make up their own mind before just listening to every "shoot old belle" comment.

True, but NO amount of money is worth putting me, my family, friends, or any one else that animal comes in contact with that animal in danger.

Sure I got guys that would probably enjoy fooling with some thing like that with their dental floss, but how am I going to walk around town or look at their kids and wife when they get killed on my place fooling with my out of control cattle. Not happening...

By all means cull on disposition, I just think there is better ways than to shoot it.

When I first looked into highlanders one of the main things that kept coming up was they ARE protective of their newborns knowing that I still went ahead & brought them when my cows calve I leave the new mothers alone for the first few days after that I start driving the atv around again (less dogs) after a week they are more than happy to show me their babies but I make sure I've got the bike close by for a quick get away if needed.
I have no hesitiation on culling for temperament my parents sold a dairy cow through the sale yards painted blue my father rang the auctioneer & told him this cows was to be sold for slaughter only this cow kicked & aimed to kill. didn't get much for her but at least we never had to know she killed someone. We sold a Jersey bull because he started to get snorty in his paddock, he had no boundary/respect for us, the begining of the end for him was when he went under the atv that my mother was driving.

A cow that acts agressive toward you is just exhibiting the normal maternal instinct, some being more maternal than others. It's nice to have cows that allow you to weigh and tag newborns but not an absolute necessity on my place. I want them to be protective to a point. Now if she goes at you everytime you are in the pasture for no reason at all then she has a problem and needs to be hauled.

Had this heifer that was very "nice". I was hand feeding her clover the morning before she calved. I spent ALOT of time in the pasture and was very hands on with no problems at all. She calved that night and was a nut for the next 6 months. You could not go near the pasture, let alone in the pasture. If I were standing out on the deck minding my own, she would stand at the fence pawing and snorting. And she wasn't teasing ~ she meant business. When the calf was old enough to wean she got shot in the head, quartered in the pastured and hauled off to the locker. I didn't want to deal with loading her and I didn't want her to end up in someone else's herd. There was no other way for her to go. So I understand it is for sure necessary sometimes ~ but I feel is over used by others. But that is my opinion, and not my business.

I have had a couple like that, gentle cooperative animals until they start calving or that baby hits the ground. One to be fair I understand as I took her calf away from her because she never got up after calving as a heifer and her baby was pretty much a popsicle when I found her. I had bring her home to save her life. When I reunited them mom had it in for me from then on, went out of her way to come at me sometimes..After her 4th calf I said enough of this and when her calf was weened she went for slaughter.
The other was one of my herd bosses, she was the most gentle animal, you could even AI her without putting her in the shoot. With her I put up with it as she was an expensive and beautiful animal and always gave me an extremely good calf. Plus I wanted some papered replacement stock out of her. So we had an agreement, I stayed the H out of her way until her calf was about 4 months old and then she didn't care anymore, she went down the road this fall because she had a VP last winter. I have her daughter due in a couple of weeks , I will definitely keep my distance just in case.

I have never shot a cow for coming at me, doesn't mean I haven't thought of it though :cowboy: .

angie":32kznnij said:
Had this heifer that was very "nice". I was hand feeding her clover the morning before she calved. I spent ALOT of time in the pasture and was very hands on with no problems at all. She calved that night and was a nut for the next 6 months. You could not go near the pasture, let alone in the pasture. If I were standing out on the deck minding my own, she would stand at the fence pawing and snorting. And she wasn't teasing ~ she meant business. When the calf was old enough to wean she got shot in the head, quartered in the pastured and hauled off to the locker. I didn't want to deal with loading her and I didn't want her to end up in someone else's herd. There was no other way for her to go. So I understand it is for sure necessary sometimes ~ but I feel is over used by others. But that is my opinion, and not my business.

Wow Angie! The way that cow acted... :eek:

spinandslide":1ga31439 said:
angie":1ga31439 said:
Had this heifer that was very "nice". I was hand feeding her clover the morning before she calved. I spent ALOT of time in the pasture and was very hands on with no problems at all. She calved that night and was a nut for the next 6 months.

Wow Angie! The way that cow acted... :eek:
Typical woman behaviour, she must have just taken after you!

dun":2v3txndf said:
Typical woman behaviour, she must have just taken after you!
Well Hello Schrek! :roll: I see you talked MM into letting you out of your cage again.....

Latest posts