To everyone who thinks brangus are wild

Help Support CattleToday:

to each his own, i give my brangus moma's plenty of space. for the first couple weeks after calving... i know how protective they can be .

novatech":4hytv67v said:
spinandslide":4hytv67v said:
Ive said it before and Ill say it again..a momma cow can be protective of her calf, but she better remember that Im the one wyho takes care of and feeds her..period.
In my area we have ice cream that is only made from happy cows,as per Bluebell advertising.
So you only make hamburger from the most intelligent cows? :lol2:

Can't vouch for the more intelligent cows but will definitely give the Blue Bell a 5 Star rating.

I don't want anyone to mis-understand my reasoning for the thread. In general, I believe that cows are more dangerous than bulls, for the simple fact that people let their guard down around them, and are "ready for anything" when approaching bulls. I wouldn't want anyone to just walk up to any moma cow right after birth - just like I wouldn't want someone to burn their mouth on hot coffee. Both take common sense.....

Having said that, it is a real pleasure to have cows that will calve nicely and let me tag/band them when they are born. Not all people manage this way; certainly not all cows can be handled this way, but just because she's a Brangus doesn't mean she's the devil looking to kill you every chance she can.

In my opinion the excessive fear most people have for cattle and bulls in particular is the catalyst that causes most injuries. Just like dogs cattle can sense if someone is nervous or afraid of them.

KNERSIE":2oye6v3s said:
In my opinion the excessive fear most people have for cattle and bulls in particular is the catalyst that causes most injuries. Just like dogs cattle can sense if someone is nervous or afraid of them.
thats true,and no matter how big a stick you have it won't offset fear... i cant remember how many times ive seen folk jump off a horse and whip it out of fear get back on, same results.... when calm steady correction, in the saddle is what is needed...

your right if cattle smell or sense fear in a person they use it.an the frear is the biggest cause for injury or death handling cattle.

bigbull338":12ohwu07 said:
your right if cattle smell or sense fear in a person they use it.an the frear is the biggest cause for injury or death handling cattle.
Then I guess I'm already dead.
Fear is natural in most any animal and humans. In humans it is something that makes us think before doing something stupid.

novatech":3umjepbg said:
bigbull338":3umjepbg said:
Then I guess I'm already dead.
Fear is natural in most any animal and humans. In humans it is something that makes us think before doing something stupid.

Note that I said EXCESSIVE fear in my post, being careful is a completely different matter.

ive been around cattle that if they smelled your fear.they would run you out of the pasture or corral.now repect is knowing when to get out of a cow or bulls way.

cypressfarms":3esr6x9e said:
This evening went out to check on the cow group. Had one commercial brangus that was close - this would be her second calf. Shined the spotlight out ahead, and sure enough two sets of eyes. Pulled up with the mule, walked over, took the newborn calf down and banded it and tagged it while the moma watched from about 6 or 8 feet away - mooing at the calf the whole time. No problems whatsoever. I love low birthweight bulls. I love good cows even better.

Not all brangus' are wild and ornery. I cull for disposition, and any cow that will not let me work her newborn is changing zip codes! Having said this, I am respectful of the cow calf needing bonding time. I do my job quick, and let them be to develop that necessary moma calf relationship. Over 50 brangus girls that will let us do our jobs. Now if someone new had walked into the paddock, it would have been a defferent story.

I have some of the most gently brangus' around, but again I cull hard for disposition. If I have a really good moma, I will keep heifers from her. All we seem to hear on the board is how wild brangus and tigers are; we'll they can be some pretty tame and good moma's as well. On average I wouldn't compare them to herefords, but if you cull the bad tempered one's out, after several years you begin to have a real nice gentle herd.

Pics to come soon, ofcourse. I never want to disappoint Beefy and not put up big eared pics!

Your absolutely right Cypress!! My Brangus were mixed in disposition. It was easy to tell which cows would kill my rear and which would just be patient for a short while, with their calves. I appreciated both dispositions. Because I could not be there every single day, I knew the meaner ones would keep coyotes and other predators away. I have some registered Angus, however, that are so docile that they just don't care what happens to their calves - as a result, buzzards have got at least two of their calves, so far. If you can cull out the worst, it's hard to beat the Brangus breed, down this way - except for maybe Beefmaster :nod: :cboy:

BeefmasterB":3s7lfbbc said:
it's hard to beat the Brangus breed, down this way - except for maybe Beefmaster :nod: :cboy:

That's why I have both Beefmaster and Brangus! I have to admit that some of the best calves come from beefmaster cows crossed with my Angus plus bull. Black and big! If I had to pick between the two, I think I'd rather Beefmaster.

To your point about vultures. Hard to explain, but all of the Brangus' I have are good moma's in that they will protect their calves. My poor dalmation has a hard time even entering the pastures this time of the year. I really think the cows know me, and know I will not harm their calves. I drive out to check the cows on the mule most days. If someone else comes with me, the cows all take note watching the person. If it's just me, they seem to go on as normal. I never tag calves with strangers, and I never bring the dog with new calves. I am not scared of any cow, but cautious of all - but make it my business to know each cow's "personality". Also good to know who's the boss cow - as every other cow and bull will follow suit. Strangely though, I've never had a beefmaster be the boss cow. It always is one of the Brangus girls.

KNERSIE":3537z1ge said:
Note that I said EXCESSIVE fear in my post, being careful is a completely different matter.
And I agree. I just don,t go along with the smell part.
If you read the post I just had up I deleted it because I decided to address this from a different point of view.
I believe one must go back to the primal instincts of cattle. Some cattle have been culled to the point of not showing these primal instincts. Brahman influenced cattle show more of these instincts than most other breeds. There are basically 2 types of animals, those that prey and those that are preyed upon. Cattle fall into the category of those preyed upon. They are not naturally aggressive. They are however naturally protective of newborns. That basic instinct can genetically be bred out over time. Animals that are preyed upon will flee when given the opportunity if they feel a threat. When these same animals are cornered and feel they have nowhere to run they will stand and fight to the point of being the aggressor. Any penned up cow, afraid of being hurt, can become aggressive. One must either teach the animal that you are not a threat or cull the animal because their fear cannot be overcome.
Outwardly showing your fear is showing and teaching the animal that aggressive behavior protects them. Trust and good behavior usually has been taught at an early age. Culling is generally the only practical solution for those who have not been taught they do not have to be afraid or genetically culled to be docile.
I was wondering at what point one culls cattle that will not let you handle a newborn. Does the cow have to put you in the hospital? What exactly is the sign that they are going to hurt you? I never handle a newborn unless absolutely necessary. I have had to upon occasion and have had the mom charge and stop short, never hurting me. Should I have culled her? By the way I was scared she just didn't know it.

I have raised a brangus steer that I bought at a sale with 2 other calves and when he recieved shots or was loaded and unloaded he was the most calm one in the bunch. Got him up to 1200 lbs and took him to butcher. Even at that weight in pen or trailer he behaved better than the angus did.

novatech":11ba5mjq said:
I was wondering at what point one culls cattle that will not let you handle a newborn. Does the cow have to put you in the hospital? What exactly is the sign that they are going to hurt you?

If you are indeed scared of cattle, or do not know when they are going to hurt you, then by all means, please don't tag calves. In fact, it might be best to raise cattle from outside the corral. If you've been around enough cattle, you begin to "read" cattle - that is to anticipate what they are about to do. If you cannot read cattle, then to work with them is inherently dangerous, and I would not recommend it.

novatech":39rer7sz said:
spinandslide":39rer7sz said:
Ive said it before and Ill say it again..a momma cow can be protective of her calf, but she better remember that Im the one wyho takes care of and feeds her..period.
In my area we have ice cream that is only made from happy cows,as per Bluebell advertising.
So you only make hamburger from the most intelligent cows? :lol2:
I do like BlueBelll alot, but isnt it the california cows that are dubbed "happy" in their commericals?
;-)

Nope, the ones that are likely made into hamburger are the ones who try to put you into orbit..Im not sure if intelligence plays a huge role in it. Protectivness is one thing,but out and out agressiveness..that might be ideal for a range cow, but not for my cows. I dont want a pet, but I want SAFE for me. JMO.

Sarah

I would question my cows mothering ability if they let me run up there and take there calf and not fuss about it. That's all fine and dandy when the place isn't big enough for them to ever leave your sight... but in alot of places you would just be feeding the wild dogs, yotes, and cats. ;-)

A place I worked at when I was in college had registered black Angus cattle. The owner said he lost 3-4 calves a year to coyotes, he had around 100 mommas. That seems like an awful lot to me for the area and how small the places were.

After working cattle I realized why... when we drove the cattle to the pins, a majority of the mommas would leave their calves behind. We would end up trying to push a group of calves at the end, that does not work well. :x

Also, when we worked the mommas and cut them loose they would head for the brush and leave their calves at the pins. Then we were trying to herd the calves back into the pasture and had to make sure they would pair back up. :x

That is unacceptable... don't care how registered, how black, or how much you paid for them... those cattle ain't worth a flip.

As some one said, there is a difference in cattle protecting their calves and bad temperment. I have pulled out a gun and shot a cow dead on the spot more than once for crossing that line.

I have pulled out a gun and shot a cow dead on the spot more than once for crossing that line.

I often see comments like this on the boards, more so in the case of sick animals or those that went down for whatever reason, even if they were only down a few hours. If that works for you, please don't let me stop you, but over here I don't get a cent for a dead animal, whether I shot it out of anger, fear or compassion.

Vet bills typically are far less than the salvage value of the animal and in the vast majority of the cases the animal can be pulled through with care and attention. I certainly wouldn't just start shooting cattle, hope some of the less experienced people would atleast think about it and make up their own mind before just listening to every "shoot old belle" comment.

KNERSIE":1j1dnqo2 said:
I often see comments like this on the boards, more so in the case of sick animals or those that went down for whatever reason, even if they were only down a few hours. If that works for you, please don't let me stop you, but over here I don't get a cent for a dead animal, whether I shot it out of anger, fear or compassion.
Vet bills typically are far less than the salvage value of the animal and in the vast majority of the cases the animal can be pulled through with care and attention. I certainly wouldn't just start shooting cattle, hope some of the less experienced people would atleast think about it and make up their own mind before just listening to every "shoot old belle" comment.
I was just discussing this with someone tonight, and I couldn't agree with you more!

angie":18redfz2 said:
KNERSIE":18redfz2 said:
I was just discussing this with someone tonight, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Some very good points made here! Bottom line is that the man on the ground along with the person ultimately responsible, has to make that decision. A stay in the hospital is far more expensive than putting down the animal. Likewise, if a person is not in immediate danger and has a little time, money could be salvaged from the situation. The view on the ground is always a lot different from that of the person sitting up on the fence rail just watching.

KNERSIE":1u115cd9 said:
I have pulled out a gun and shot a cow dead on the spot more than once for crossing that line.

True, but NO amount of money is worth putting me, my family, friends, or any one else that animal comes in contact with that animal in danger.

Sure I got guys that would probably enjoy fooling with some thing like that with their dental floss, but how am I going to walk around town or look at their kids and wife when they get killed on my place fooling with my out of control cattle. Not happening...