To cut the bull or not is the ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
One quick question for all you experts in cattleland ? We were wondering if this 700 lb bull we bought originally for slaughter.. if we left him a bull instead of cutting him would it change the taste or quality of the meat ???? we are going to hold him until he reaches a 1000 lb.

My novice opinion is that I don't think it would matter too much as far as the meat quality or taste goes for just a 300lb gain before slaughter. What does matter to me is the age of the bull, is he a 700lb yearling or 8 month old? A yearling bull is a lot harder to deal with than a yearling steer. My thought with horses is, a yearling stud is a lot easier to handle once you cut the brains in the back off.

Alan

P.S. Always nice to have another Orygunion on the board!

We bought him at the auction and he seems to be a young bull he actually is a very mellow fellow so far... our only concern is the flavor of the meat and if we are going to be able to marble him or if that whole idea is a little unrealistic since like you said its only 300lbs more. Dont you have to start them out a little younger on creep feed to get proper marbleing ????? As far as handling the little guy He is definately not afraid of much but he doesnt appear to be crazy.. Thanks for the reply

We bought him at the auction and he seems to be a young bull he actually is a very mellow fellow so far... our only concern is the flavor of the meat and if we are going to be able to marble him or if that whole idea is a little unrealistic since like you said its only 300lbs more. Dont you have to start them out a little younger on creep feed to get proper marbleing ????? As far as handling the little guy He is definately not afraid of much but he doesnt appear to be crazy.. Thanks for the reply

Latest posts