to clip or not to clip

Help Support CattleToday:

DoubleRD

Reaction score
My Brangus heifers have starting calving, and thus far we have only had to "pull" one- both mother and son doing fine! So far the first 5 have all been bulls. They are "black gold" (registered sire and commercial dame). Should I clip them or not? We intent to sell them at auction. Thanks for any help.

Clarence Dixon, Double RD ranch

Yes. I thought the blk gold was for females. There is another program for marketing commercial Brangus sired calves. I would cut them and background the calves. Check out jordan Cattle auction in San Saba. Premium weaned calve sales.

Scotty

Thanks, Scotty. I'll look into San Saba. Also, we had to pull one of the calves. He was up, nursing good, and was 15 days old when we had to leave the ranch for a couple of weeks. When we left, he was running around with the other calves and seemed to be in good shape. This weekend I found him dead. He had only been dead for a few hours and he wasn't completely stiff. His coat looked slick and shiny, I could see no visible injuries on either side, and he didn't have "scoures." Any thoughts.....

I don't know. Sounds like he was healthy. He could have gotten trammpled in a fight or ... Sorry for your loss. Things like that happen, usually when you least expect it. or to me that way.

DoubleRD":2uex4gqp said:
My Brangus heifers have starting calving, and thus far we have only had to "pull" one- both mother and son doing fine! So far the first 5 have all been bulls. They are "black gold" (registered sire and commercial dame). Should I clip them or not? We intent to sell them at auction. Thanks for any help.

Clarence Dixon, Double RD ranch

It depends on the sale. If the animals are being sold one at a time, clipping is probably good. If you're selling at an auction where they group them all together, it's not as important. Some poeple like to see cattle in their "working" clothes. Attend some of the sales you're considering selling in and see how the cattle are presented and if it makes any difference in the prices paid.

By "clipping" do you man cutting or castrating the bull calves? If the answer is yes to that question and you intend to sell the calves at local sale or special feeder calf sales - then castration will be necessary.

Latest posts