Tn. way to cut hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
High gas prices drive farmer to switch to mules

1 hour, 29 minutes ago

MCMINNVILLE, Tenn. - High gas prices have driven a Warren County farmer and his sons to hitch a tractor rake to a pair of mules to gather hay from their fields. T.R. Raymond bought Dolly and Molly at the Dixon mule sale last year. Son Danny Raymond trained them and also modified the tractor rake so the mules could pull it.
T.R. Raymond says the mules are slower than a petroleum-powered tractor, but there are benefits.
"This fuel's so high, you can't afford it," he said. "We can feed these mules cheaper than we can buy fuel. That's the truth."
And Danny Raymond says he just likes using the mules around the farm.
"We've been using them quite a bit," he said.
Brother Robert Raymond added, "It's the way of the future." :banana:

you know them old boys has the right idea.save fuel where you can.alot of farmers may start doing things like that in the future.

If I have to use mules I dont know if I will be farming, or atleast not as many acres.

All those farm antique collectors will be laughing at us when we try to purchase back the old machinery that we pretty much gave away. :( Man it suck when farmers are forced to go back to horse pulled machinery to get a job done, just to save movey

My dad uses the team to rake. But he can't rake enough in two days for the big baler to run 4 hrs. :cboy:

Latest posts