TMR-suggestions apreciated

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer4620

Reaction score
I feed 12 lbs corn, 20 lbs silage, 1 lb 41% proten supplement, 2 oz Right Now "emerald" mineral, and just under a pint of liquid molasses in my TMR and then the whole heard gets 4 flakes oat hay, 2 flake alfalfa/grass. The TMR is per head every day fed twice, once in the morning and once in the evening the hay amount is also split between the feedings. I would like to have suggestions. Oh yeah im feeding angus steers out i dont change the ration between 500 lbs and finish. Ive experimented with a few rations on previous cattle, I just want to know what you cattle guys think.

farmer4620":16tzl753 said:
I feed 12 lbs corn, 20 lbs silage, 1 lb 41% proten supplement, 2 oz Right Now "emerald" mineral, and just under a pint of liquid molasses in my TMR and then the whole heard gets 4 flakes oat hay, 2 flake alfalfa/grass. The TMR is per head every day fed twice, once in the morning and once in the evening the hay amount is also split between the feedings. I would like to have suggestions. Oh yeah im feeding angus steers out i dont change the ration between 500 lbs and finish. Ive experimented with a few rations on previous cattle, I just want to know what you cattle guys think.
Do they feed well, or finish good. The only thing I can see is you might lower the protein and up the enrgy later as they grow and finish. Sounds like yo uhave a sound ration.

Scotty

denoginnizer":1bzqhsqv said:
Whats a flake?

Flake, chip. One section of a square bale in my book. About 2-3 lbs. This much feed sounds like he has a different ruler.

Scotty

32 popunds twice daily sound like you have a few. No matter. Jsut remeber if you make changes make them slowly. Keep the rumen healthy. Use good feed. Sounds like you got a good thing.

Scotty

Scotty":3r71c4yl said:
32 popunds twice daily sound like you have a few. No matter. Jsut remeber if you make changes make them slowly. Keep the rumen healthy. Use good feed. Sounds like you got a good thing.

Scotty

i feed around 32 lbs per head, a flake is about a 3 inch section of a square bale packed fairly tight, and i am feeding 5 at a time, i could go bigger but i have a niche market and if i acceeded around 10 head a year i would go from making 400 dollars a head to around 40-100 depending on markets at the time.

Thirty two pounds per head per day....what is your planned daily gain? What size animals are you feeding. Seems like alot of feed per head to me...we feed for 2.5 pounds per day year round and don't feed near that much and finish at 1200# plus.
Dave Mc

i know thats why im kinda asking it seems like a lot to me to cause im only getting like 2.8 sometimes 3 but they clean the bunk up in no time and theres no hay left at the end of the day. Silage is cheap feed so I dont mind pumping to them i feed 20 lbs for like 22 cents per day but i should be able to get more gain. They finish good and it cost be around 48 dollars per cwt to feed em

32 lbs. a day will put you in the Poor House. They can utilize only so much feed. The rest will just be wasted.Why the 41% protein supplement? Proven fact, cattle dont need and dont benefit from much more than 12-14%.Are you getting that 41% from Bean Meal or Cottonseed meal?

I dont know haha, its cheaper than 32 so you feed a little less plus i believed i needed to bump the protein since corn is only 9% the liquid molasses has quite a bit but ive never been able to find a for sure analysis. Im open to many suggestions i just started raising calves my freshman year of high school...2 years ago i believe ive learned a lot but I know i have a long ways to go so whatever you guys can help me with is great. I talked to the feed mill I in the middle of working on a new supp, grain, and mineral mix but its gonna be about the same as what im doing now just a little cheaper.

farmer4620":1heuwafm said:
I dont know haha, its cheaper than 32 so you feed a little less plus i believed i needed to bump the protein since corn is only 9% the liquid molasses has quite a bit but ive never been able to find a for sure analysis. Im open to many suggestions i just started raising calves my freshman year of high school...2 years ago i believe ive learned a lot but I know i have a long ways to go so whatever you guys can help me with is great. I talked to the feed mill I in the middle of working on a new supp, grain, and mineral mix but its gonna be about the same as what im doing now just a little cheaper.
Get yourself a good 12% feed made.Something that is economic, but will get you results.Most of all cut back on the pounds you were feeding per day. Give em' good hay, and clean water. Buy a mineral mix suited to your area needs. Corn will vary from 6-9% protein. Better than almost all of the above, turn em' loose on good pasture, with a good mineral. Leave you feeding to the Winter time, or for pre-slaughter.

I have a question reading not just this forum but others Ive never heard of so many people just grazing steers to 7-800 lbs around we everything goes onto feed early. Maybe it would be more economical to graze but wont they gain faster on feed plus if I didnt feed i believe my pasture would run out even with the amount im feeding they keep the pasture short. The corn, supp, mineral amounts are good right? So should i just back silage down a little and let them re adjust to the smaller amounts or am i already committed to feeding this much. If it makes any difference the 20 lbs of silage depends on the the moisture...i feed in 5 gallon buckets and wetter silage may push me over 20 but usually dryer silage puts me near or less than 20

Latest posts