TMR $ question

Help Support CattleToday:

Atimm693":1hccth7s said:
It's a Luck Now 2350. Only a few years old.

It takes a good 30 minutes to chew up a fescue bale, with some of it boiling over in the process.

Of course that's just our experience with the machine. I'm sure the bigger machines with two rotors make short work out of a bale.
Judging by the pic is a smaller lightweight mixer and the larger bales are just too big for it, thus the spillage. Jed posted pics of his on here one time and it's even larger than the one we had and hooked up to a large tractor with rpm's where they should be there is no problem grinding even extremely high moisture bailage in addition to all the other ingredients that go into the TMR.

TexasBred":34ox53nd said:
Atimm693":34ox53nd said:
It's a Luck Now 2350. Only a few years old.

It takes a good 30 minutes to chew up a fescue bale, with some of it boiling over in the process.

Of course that's just our experience with the machine. I'm sure the bigger machines with two rotors make short work out of a bale.
Judging by the pic is a smaller lightweight mixer and the larger bales are just too big for it, thus the spillage. Jed posted pics of his on here one time and it's even larger than the one we had and hooked up to a large tractor with rpm's where they should be there is no problem grinding even extremely high moisture bailage in addition to all the other ingredients that go into the TMR.

I want to say that it will hold 350 cubic feet, but I can't recall the exact specs.

One 5x6 bale will only fill it up 1/2 way once ground. Capacity wise it is not near it's maximum, it's just very slow at grinding. I did put in the hay retention kit, which helped some, but didn't completely stop the spillage.

Maybe our blades are just shot, but our neighbor has the same type of outfit on a truck, and had the same complaints. Slow and messy, and it wore out the PTO on his truck prematurely. His setup was brand new. He's gone to having the hay pre-ground as well.

I feed close to 3 tons with it every morning, it makes a great mix and doesn't take much time to do that. I mix pre-ground 50/50 fescue/alfalfa, WDG, cracked corn, and silage.

The single axle tells me it's not made for heavy loads so one bale should be more than enough. If you're going to have to pre-grind the hay you're defeating the purpose for the mixer. Get you a horizontal for half the price. Look for an old Little Augey or a Harsh....Tough as nails.

While I agree the main benefit of a vertical is that it can grind hay it will still mix a high forage diet better than most horizontals do.

ATimm try breaking up the bale some before putting it in seems to help. I have had people tell me they have tried some different knives they got online that were meant more for cutting hay but knives can get pricey. Like I said on the cows we ended up setting out the most of the hay and feeding just part of it in the bunk with silage and byproducts to save time, wear and fuel.

30 minutes is ways to long to grind a bale and you would probably be ahead having in preground at that point.

anyone have experience with those rotobales or rotogrinder? its called something like that.. meant for grinding hay.

ddd75":9bk7dupr said:
anyone have experience with those rotobales or rotogrinder? its called something like that.. meant for grinding hay.

Can't speak for those specific models but we did try a Haybuster H1000 out for awhile.. Very slow, takes a lot of power to run. One in good condition is supposed to be able to do 12-15 bales an hour with enough horsepower. The guy that does our hay can do 100 in that time.

If the wind isn't blowing right the dust will plug your tractors up in a matter of minutes too.

bmoore87":9bk7dupr said:
While I agree the main benefit of a vertical is that it can grind hay it will still mix a high forage diet better than most horizontals do.

ATimm try breaking up the bale some before putting it in seems to help. I have had people tell me they have tried some different knives they got online that were meant more for cutting hay but knives can get pricey. Like I said on the cows we ended up setting out the most of the hay and feeding just part of it in the bunk with silage and byproducts to save time, wear and fuel.

30 minutes is ways to long to grind a bale and you would probably be ahead having in preground at that point.

I have tried that, unrolled them part way, scooped it up with the grapple. It still took a long time to get a decent cut. Maybe a little faster, but you have to spend the time ripping the bale apart.

As I mentioned earlier, the new baler is supposed to pre-cut the hay and pack it into a bale, no grinder necessary.

bmoore87":1rjbf5y8 said:

A ground bale of hay would be "high forage". And yes they do a much better job of mixing as well providing a much for consistent mix than horizontal wagons. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding all the problems. We ran one everyday for over 10 years and never changed the blades.

TexasBred":1te3tyf5 said:
bmoore87":1te3tyf5 said:

A ground bale of hay would be "high forage". And yes they do a much better job of mixing as well providing a much for consistent mix than horizontal wagons. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding all the problems. We ran one everyday for over 10 years and never changed the blades.

texas. what USED model would you recommend for grinding hay and feed?

Round bales of hay.

jedstivers":400dgxe1 said:
Tried adding some water to it? I like doing that.
Works great especially in the summer heat. Sounds like a lot if water but when applied to that much dry matter it really hardly dampens it and the cattle will love it.

TexasBred":1p2qyu9y said:
jedstivers":1p2qyu9y said:
Tried adding some water to it? I like doing that.
Works great especially in the summer heat. Sounds like a lot if water but when applied to that much dry matter it really hardly dampens it and the cattle will love it.
I welded a fitting into the side of my mixer and put a 2" cam lock quick coupler on the side of my mixer. It takes quit a bit of water.
Always wished I had syrup to use for the moisture but I'm to far away from any syrup production. Freight is to high.
My mixer is in WI now trying to be sold. If it doesn't sell soon I'm trading it on a smaller one so my big tractors aren't tied up and bringing it back.

We just bought one and love it. We have a hay and silage base. Biggest advantage if you have a good way like bunks to feed is nearly zero waste. Both in terms of the outside 4 inches of hay or what is stomped or not eaten. That is a per bale cost that is easily calculated or added up! It ads up fast!

Latest posts