Tired of winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Feels like -27F here today. National report says coldest and most snow since 1978-79, and worst hit area in the country is right here. Have had 75 days of below -22F so far this winter. Had 4 days of blizzard last weekend -40F with a 35 mph wind that made it feel like -65F. Had one fall steer calf that decided he had enough and clocked out. Laid down and never woke back up. Found him under a 2' snow drift. Neighbor lost a cow at the same time. Amazing we haven't lost more this winter.

Banks are getting good size around here. That is an 8' elk fence behind the bank. County grader can't move the banks back anymore. Have had a 250 Doosan payloader going around digging the banks back.
P1010542_zpsf7595ccb.jpg

P1010543_zpsd1c0ba6f.jpg

Some of last years May calves and a couple older heifers.
P1010545_zpsc2cf5a7a.jpg

P1010546_zpsadbf6043.jpg

The solar motion-controlled watering system I installed in October, drawing from the pond we dug last year. Has just hummed along this entire winter. Another one is going in this year in another spot and I am eventually replacing all the electric water bowls with it.
P1010549_zpsaed6dd28.jpg

P1010550_zps09e91ab6.jpg

P1010551_zpsf0114cec.jpg

I'm pretty tired too, Aaron, even if it's not as bad here as you have. It was 82 yesterday and now it's 23 with a wind chill of 13. Freezing rain and sleet has decided to accompany those temps. Time for spring!

WE have nothing like you folks up north but yesterday it was just a little over 80 degrees about 4 pm....this morning it was about 42 and is now 26 and wind blowing like a blizzard....suppose to get into the teens tonight. That's a 60 degree swing and it's killing my old a$$. Can't stay warm even inside.

-24 here this morning. Only a couple inches of fresh snow here. Nothing like Aaron has. :shock: Sunny and no wind at least takes the edge off the cold. :nod:

Just looked now in the heat of the day at 2:30PM it is -5. Not gonna break 0 today, but it ain't bad. House was getting too warm so I had to turn the heat down a little while ago. 8)

A few months from now I suppose we will be moaning and groaning about the heat. :roll:

John SD":39j57z8y said:
-24 here this morning. Only a couple inches of fresh snow here. Nothing like Aaron has. :shock: Sunny and no wind at least takes the edge off the cold. :nod:

Just looked now in the heat of the day at 2:30PM it is -5. Not gonna break 0 today, but it ain't bad. House was getting too warm so I had to turn the heat down a little while ago. 8)

A few months from now I suppose we will be moaning and groaning about the heat. :roll:
Yeah I'll probably be one of the first when it hits 100+....following up with "I'll never complain about cold again". :nod:

Nice snow banks Aaron. You have us beat (by just a little). :nod:
The bale feeding cows came home. They are getting some TLC till we get back above zero. Sounds like temps will be below average till May.
Some of the straw bales we used to insulate the pump house blew away. That is a first. Spending a fortune to heat waterers. Where did you get the design for the solar system? Do you see it as a good way to do remote bale feeding?

I bought the system from Kelln Solar out of SK. Affordable and quality components. Problem with so many solar watering outfits is that they charge outrageous amounts based on the potential for government environmental grant money. I see it as a great way to get away from the electric bill. The cost of putting in an independent service line for a regular water bowl, over the span of one year, pays for the system.

The "scientists" are already proclaiming January in North America was warmest on record. I'd love to know where they are getting their readings.
Short sleeves and barefoot on my front porch this morning for coffee. Near freezing now.
I didn't want winter to come this year, hated when it got here and don't care if it ever gets cold again (as long as we also get some rain)

greybeard":1pldeh9m said:
The "scientists" are already proclaiming January in North America was warmest on record. I'd love to know where they are getting their readings.
Short sleeves and barefoot on my front porch this morning for coffee. Near freezing now.
I didn't want winter to come this year, hated when it got here and don't care if it ever gets cold again (as long as we also get some rain)

Well, I'm not seeing that anyone declared it the warmest on record. But one of the warmer ones globally: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/1
I know, it's hard to believe for those of us who've been introduced to the term "polar vortex" this gosh-awful, never-ending winter. But, of course, we're only one tiny part of the globe (much as we like to pretend otherwise ;) Many other areas had unseasonably warm, wet weather.

That's why I like to call it "global weirding"--or, more technically, climate change. Don't think anyone can really argue the weather does seem to be wackier than it used to be in many (most?) places...And those poor buggers that live on those islands that are just about disappeared into the ocean probably don't care what we all call it!

Looking at our forecast in my neck of the woods and seeing no real break in sight...I actually checked airfares to Vegas the other day. Luckily the days are getting longer and even on a bitingly cold day, the sun feels warmer on your face. Hang in there, ya'll!

This may be the worse storm on cattle this winter. It rained yesterday morning. Two hours of heavy rain. Cows got soaked and so did everything under them. Then an ice storm. I see it took down the evergreen trees and the fences were decorated with ice. Then a cold numbing period as the temperatures dropped. Followed by all night wind, sleet then snow.

When I passed Charlie Boyd's place, I did not see his cattle outside. I wonder if he brought them in the barn. His family has been there for over a 100 years. I think he knows something about cattle. Made me worry all night. It is 4:34 AM, roads may not be plowed yet. I want to check my cattle!

Old Farmer I grew up around, Mike Ryan, "It's a hard life son, but you got to live it."

inyati13":o5sk2d31 said:
This may be the worse storm on cattle this winter. It rained yesterday morning. Two hours of heavy rain. Cows got soaked and so did everything under them. Then an ice storm. I see it took down the evergreen trees and the fences were decorated with ice. Then a cold numbing period as the temperatures dropped. Followed by all night wind, sleet then snow.

When I passed Charlie Boyd's place, I did not see his cattle outside. I wonder if he brought them in the barn. His family has been there for over a 100 years. I think he knows something about cattle. Made me worry all night. It is 4:34 AM, roads may not be plowed yet. I want to check my cattle!

Old Farmer I grew up around, Mike Ryan, "It's a hard life son, but you got to live it."
We have had to many of those exact kind of events to count this winter. Rain and 30's for 12 hours at a time are rough on them.

Heifer tried to calve during the night. By the time we found them the calf was half way out and frozen stiff. Windchills in the minues teens will do that I guess

boondocks said:
Well, I'm not seeing that anyone declared it the warmest on record. But one of the warmer ones globally: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/1
I know, it's hard to believe for those of us who've been introduced to the term "polar vortex" this gosh-awful, never-ending winter. But, of course, we're only one tiny part of the globe (much as we like to pretend otherwise ;) Many other areas had unseasonably warm, wet weather.

Bet they're in the southern hemisphere. Seems Ali was talking about 100's just last week. :shock:

Brace yourself another storm rolled in here yesterday. Mountain passes closed because of heavy snow, snow slides, and down trees. And of course this storm is headed east. There is another one coming here about Thursday and yet another one by the weekend. March is coming in like a lion. I am looking forward to the going out like a lamb part.

dun":3st3lo9r said:
Heifer tried to calve during the night. By the time we found them the calf was half way out and frozen stiff. Windchills in the minues teens will do that I guess

dun, I heard today from cattle asso board members (we have a mtg tomorrow) that many cattleman are starting to lose cows and calves. Much higher loss than normal.

On a positive note: I had a calf born late Saturday. He went through all that rain yesterday then the ice and cold, etc. I have him in the crowding pen which has a partial cover. I expected a bad showing this morning. When I got there, his back was plastered with snow and ice but he was bouncing around and nursing every chance he got.

Just got in a while ago, right now it's 13, with a wind chill of 3. Had my hood off, wearing tennis shoes, couldn't quit thinking how nice a day it was. Got several things done in this nice weather. It's supposed to get to 50 this week, I will probably get my shorts out if the wind ain't blowing. gs

Latest posts