Tired of winter

Help Support CattleToday:

-25°f or lower since December, have had enough. Pretty sure the block heater on the old mf 274 loader had enough and burnt down our 80 x 30 shed filled with tools, tractors, hay, horses and silage/manure equipment. Today a neighbors did the same. Bring on spring.

loyal.uvf":2v8fw8r9 said:
-25°f or lower since December, have had enough. Pretty sure the block heater on the old mf 274 loader had enough and burnt down our 80 x 30 shed filled with tools, tractors, hay, horses and silage/manure equipment. Today a neighbors did the same. Bring on spring.

Sorry for your loss and your neighbor's. Hope you have insurance on some of it.

Neighbor here lost a pickup from a block heater and is lucky he didn't lose the shed. Sort of freak deal. He figures the fire started where the heater plugged in to the extension cord. Fire got into the engine compartment where it shorted the starter. Pickup was in gear and ran into a pile of old tires up against the shed wall in front of the pickup.

Miraculously, it did not burn the shed down but there was heavy smoke inside from the burning tires. Neighbor was around but never went to the shed and did not notice what was going on.

He said maybe that was a good thing that he didn't open a door. The fire would have got some oxygen and got away very fast.

As it is, he thinks the burning tires and pickup smothered the fire out inside the shed from lack of oxygen. Oxy/acetelyne torch only feet from the pickup was not harmed.

dun":1ydx73k1 said:
Heifer tried to calve during the night. By the time we found them the calf was half way out and frozen stiff. Windchills in the minues teens will do that I guess

That stinks

Aaron,
Thats a good looking set up you got there. We have alot of ice not alot of snow but the 2 are mixed here I have been plowing and doing ice control since yesterday morning till about 3am this morning i took a pic of looking out my window and some of traffic and one of a guy that thought I-95 speed limit since it was 70 he must go that speed. I hate plowing cause when fools pass you and total out then we gotta stop see if they are ok and call state police.

John SD, thank you. Insurance was great except for the mf 274(cause of the fire) which had none since the move from dairy to beef. The origins of the fire will never be known, as it burned to the ground, thank god the fuel tanks never went up or the winds shifted! Thats the one good thing that happened. Thanks again.

boondocks":267rlccw said:
greybeard":267rlccw said:
The "scientists" are already proclaiming January in North America was warmest on record. I'd love to know where they are getting their readings.
Short sleeves and barefoot on my front porch this morning for coffee. Near freezing now.
I didn't want winter to come this year, hated when it got here and don't care if it ever gets cold again (as long as we also get some rain)

Well, I'm not seeing that anyone declared it the warmest on record. But one of the warmer ones globally: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/1
I know, it's hard to believe for those of us who've been introduced to the term "polar vortex" this gosh-awful, never-ending winter. But, of course, we're only one tiny part of the globe (much as we like to pretend otherwise ;) Many other areas had unseasonably warm, wet weather.

That's why I like to call it "global weirding"--or, more technically, climate change. Don't think anyone can really argue the weather does seem to be wackier than it used to be in many (most?) places...And those poor buggers that live on those islands that are just about disappeared into the ocean probably don't care what we all call it!

Looking at our forecast in my neck of the woods and seeing no real break in sight...I actually checked airfares to Vegas the other day. Luckily the days are getting longer and even on a bitingly cold day, the sun feels warmer on your face. Hang in there, ya'll!

O yea its so warm this winter that the Great Lakes are 90.5% iced up, thats the second most ice coverage on the Great Lakes since we began recording it. Also the fourth worst winter in WI (they use some kind of Index that measures temp, snowfall, and a couple of other variables to come with it I guess) all time and the worst since '79, which I was not around for. And since we only began recording and tracking weather maybe 150 years ago, how do we know that this isn't some recurring pattern that the earth goes through? I mean the earth is how old and after looking at not even 200 years worth of data we decide that we know all there is about weather and can predict whats going to happen on a global level? :roll:

O yea its so warm this winter that the Great Lakes are 90.5% iced up, thats the second most ice coverage on the Great Lakes since we began recording it. Also the fourth worst winter in WI (they use some kind of Index that measures temp, snowfall, and a couple of other variables to come with it I guess) all time and the worst since '79, which I was not around for. And since we only began recording and tracking weather maybe 150 years ago, how do we know that this isn't some recurring pattern that the earth goes through? I mean the earth is how old and after looking at not even 200 years worth of data we decide that we know all there is about weather and can predict whats going to happen on a global level? :roll:[/quote]

I'll start by saying I never use the eyeroll emoticon. I think it's disrepectful. If we were talking in person (and assuming we're both reasonable people), we likely wouldn't do that. So I don't.

The report I linked to (did you read it?) notes that Jan. 2014 was globally the 4th warmest January since they've been tracking it in 1880. This includes air/land/ocean temps, I believe. How cold it was in WI was, of course, an infinitesimal piece of data baked into that statistic.

You can't argue with data. It just, is. You understand, of course, that the Great Lakes can be at historic levels of ice, and yet the polar ice still be melting and the oceans warming, right? That it can be one of the colder Januaries in history in WI and yet the global Jan. temps were simultaneously quite high?

Me, I follow the facts. I'm not making any predictions about where they will ultimately lead, but I do see cause for concern.

You don't follow facts your a liberal and a troll. Fact is it's all just numbers and anyone can and will change them to suit themselves. I believe what I see and feel, not what some jackass says.

Our winter here in KY is not the harshest among everyone here, but nonetheless, the toughest we've had in several years. There's been a lot of single digit and 0 temps this year, which is unusual for here. We've missed 16 days of school so far, and only missed one for snow last year.

Latest posts