Tips on keeping skeeters from biting you

Help Support CattleToday:

Thiamine works, but I was taught to take 300 to 400 mg. every 3 to 4 hours, as Thiamine is a water soluble B vitamin and doesn't stay in your body for very many hours. Take it 30 to 60 minutes before you go out into mosquitoland for best results. The mosquitoes will still hover and may land, but don't bite.

It's kind of like escaping from a bear. You don;t have to rn faster then the bear, just faster then whoever is with you. Hang around with someone that is really tasty to skeeters and they'll get eaten up and they'll leave you alone.

dun":1nsnzoua said:
It's kind of like escaping from a bear. You don;t have to rn faster then the bear, just faster then whoever is with you. Hang around with someone that is really tasty to skeeters and they'll get eaten up and they'll leave you alone.

That could explain why vinegar works.

Jogeephus":p40x6mrj said:
During mosquito season

Don't eat bananas. When your body processes them a chemical is created that attracts them.

dang it, maybe thats why i get so dang many of them. i eat bananas for the potasium b/c after softball games i get cramps in my calves. oh well, i think i'd rather have a skeeter bite then a cramp....much less painful.

IluvABbeef":2s79cfdi said:
The leaf of a citronella plant helps keep the mosquitoes away for a little while.

But the bug spray always helps. Well, okay, usually.

I have not eaten a banana in a loooonng time and those stupid mosquitoes still come to zzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee in my ear (Oooooh I HATE it when they do that....drives me up a wall!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: )

I also notice they come around a lot more after I've been sweating and breathing hard after working hard on something. :mad: :mad: :roll: :mad: :mad:

I HATE mosquitoes.... :x

Alberta, have you tried rubbing mosquitoes on yourself?

In a very small glass of water mix 1 table spoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 table spoon honey. Do this 2 or 3 times a day. It works.

These statements are not made from a doctor, so don't sue me. I'm just speaking from experience.

dun":57xsy3fc said:

So this is why I get more friends in the summer! Mosquitos love me they always have. I don't eat much for sugar (heard that increases tastiness level) or banannas. We don't have the horrible ones most of you are dealing with, if I had to deal with those they'd probably kill me. I use Muskol, Off doesn't work for me. I don't like using DEET but I went out the other day for a couple hours to do a fence that's by a spring and didn't spray. I came home with about twenty bites. I have discovered forget the calamine lotion - witch hazel works best to get rid of the itch.

I am going to try making a citronella perfume and see if that works. I'll let you all know.

Take Brewers Yeast, it has the B vitamins and seems to stay with you longer. When I worked in Alaska we ate it by the bottle. We also got some of that old army surplus stuff they used in 'Nam. I didn't like it because always made my skin go kind of numb but the mosquitoes didn't bother me.

Knew a feller once who when we played paintball, that would eat two cloves of garlic the day before. Don't believe he was married, don't think he had a girlfriend, but said ticks and insects did not bother him.
Don't think I'm that tough, just stick with the Repel spray, seems to work pretty good, by the way, not too many players got close to garlic.

cattleluvr18":7l1lsu4k said:
Jogeephus":7l1lsu4k said:
During mosquito season

Don't eat bananas. When your body processes them a chemical is created that attracts them.

i eat bananas for the potasium b/c after softball games i get cramps in my calves. oh well, i think i'd rather have a skeeter bite then a cramp....much less painful.

Try slicing up a fresh lemon and adding a slice to a glass/bottle of water. The lemon helps your body purge the lactic acid (a residue of exercise) which is causing the cramps in your legs. This little remedy also works well for hangovers - not that I've ever had one, though! :oops: :lol: :lol:

xbred":l7zhgxcq said:
this won't keep them from bitting you, but if you cut a hole in the seat of your pants, they will stay out of your face.

Are we talking skeeters or gnats? :lol: :lol:

msscamp":38uj3rj3 said:
cattleluvr18":38uj3rj3 said:
Jogeephus":38uj3rj3 said:
During mosquito season

i eat bananas for the potasium b/c after softball games i get cramps in my calves. oh well, i think i'd rather have a skeeter bite then a cramp....much less painful.

Try slicing up a fresh lemon and adding a slice to a glass/bottle of water. The lemon helps your body purge the lactic acid (a residue of exercise) which is causing the cramps in your legs. This little remedy also works well for hangovers - not that I've ever had one, though! :oops: :lol: :lol:

thank ya but its a little too late. im done with softball...FOREVER!!!yay!!
like i need to know about the hangover part... :p

rub bounce dryer sheets on your arms face etc then put the sheet in your pocket or in your belt loop they work good.

what i hate is those new teenage mutant ninja skeeters that are about the size of a mosquito hawk and can penetrate thru your clothing. the suck hardcore.

Beefy":1j5kkt3g said:
what i hate is those new teenage mutant ninja skeeters that are about the size of a mosquito hawk and can penetrate thru your clothing. the suck hardcore.

Beefy, about two maybe three years ago a hurricane came up from the south bringing with it these HUGE skeeters the size of a horse fly. Did you get any of these? You had to hit them twice to kill them otherwise they'd just shake if off and fly away. :shock: Entomologist said they would die off cause they couldn't live here. He was right but the few weeks they were here made life rather unbearable.

Latest posts