Tips on keeping skeeters from biting you

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
During mosquito season

Don't eat bananas. When your body processes them a chemical is created that attracts them.

Take Vitamin B-1 daily (100 mg Thiamine Hydrochloride).

This stinks but Vics Vaporub is also a good repellent.

Avon skin so soft works fairly well but better on gnats.

Wipe a Bounce Fabric Softener on your sking or tuck one in your hat.

Old turpentiners trick, drink some vinegar each day. I prefer eating pickled eggs myself. :lol: Will also ward off red bugs.

Jogeephus":1ru1ncr3 said:
During mosquito season

Don't eat bananas. When your body processes them a chemical is created that attracts them.

Old turpentiners trick, drink some vinegar each day. I prefer eating pickled eggs myself. :lol: Will also ward off red bugs.
Last year apple cider vinegar worked for me. I was swigging it for acid reflux and discovered skeeters weren't bothering me.

Live in a part of the world that has potential for frost every night?

:D

Wearing long sleeves helps.

Bez>

Ryder, how does cider vinegar work on acid reflux? Sounds like it would be more acid. Makes my belly burn just reading that but I am willing to be convinced.

Green Creek":32ov1kvr said:
Ryder, how does cider vinegar work on acid reflux? Sounds like it would be more acid. Makes my belly burn just reading that but I am willing to be convinced.

I was wondering the same thing.

Jogeephus":l0ioeuz6 said:
During mosquito season

:???: :???: Wouldn't it be easier to just keep a can/bottle of mosquito repellant in every vehicle, and one in the house?

I get mosquito attractant and toss them in my neighbor's yard. I don't seem to have a mosquito problem after that.
crazy.gif
naughty.gif
xyxthumbs.gif

Being an ornery old fart must help too. My wife gets eaten up with them and gets covered with ticks when we;re out working. I hardly ever find a tick and can;t remember when the last time I had a skeeter bite.

dun

Horticattleman":396axtws said:
Thermacell baby, thermacell. Greatest invention since the wheel
did a google search - is this what you are talking about?

so it really works huh :?: - never heard of it

longsleeves shirts worked once upon a time. nowadays skeeters just drill right thru and all my longsleeve shirts have holes in them now. ive found theres a fine line between not bathing enough so they leave you alone and not bathing enough actually attracting them.

dun":bncyca9w said:
Being an ornery old fart must help too. My wife gets eaten up with them and gets covered with ticks when we;re out working. I hardly ever find a tick and can;t remember when the last time I had a skeeter bite.

dun

So that's why the Mr. HD doesn't hardly get bitten.Hear I thought it was his choice of cologne.

I have to use off with deet the skeeters seem to love me.

cowboyup216":3hbz7sze said:
I have found off to be very effective skeeter repellent.

The best you can buy is Ben's. It's the same formula the military will give you. If memory is correct, its 95% DEET. Just don't leave a bottle of it on your dash board or hold the steering wheel without washing your hands first cause it will kinda eat plastic. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

Jogeephus":3k8l39c0 said:
cowboyup216":3k8l39c0 said:
I have found off to be very effective skeeter repellent.

The best you can buy is Ben's. It's the same formula the military will give you. If memory is correct, its 95% DEET. Just don't leave a bottle of it on your dash board or hold the steering wheel without washing your hands first cause it will kinda eat plastic. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

Maybe this is just my wimpy side coming out, but could you please explain to me why I would want to put anything that has the potential to melt plastic on my skin? :shock: :shock:

msscamp":1sus11w1 said:
Jogeephus":1sus11w1 said:

:???: :???: Wouldn't it be easier to just keep a can/bottle of mosquito repellant in every vehicle, and one in the house?

Personally, I keep them pickled eggs in the toolbox. Never leave home without them.(They'll also keep people from crowding you in the buffet line.) ;-) :oops: :lol:

Msscamp I am with you on that.I have Off in the tractor,the skid steer ,the quads, my pick up and the shop and barn as well as at least 4 cans in my house.Way easier then using something that makes you look like a burn victim.

Jogeephus":2v5st6rv said:
msscamp":2v5st6rv said:
Jogeephus":2v5st6rv said:

Personally, I keep them pickled eggs in the toolbox. Never leave home without them.(They'll also keep people from crowding you in the buffet line.) ;-) :oops: :lol:

I can only imagine, and I'm not sure I want to even do that! :shock: Thank you, Jo, but I think that was a wee bit too much information. :shock:

Thank you very much, hillsdown, I'm very glad to know it's not just me! :D

I agree with you but at times our mosquitoes are so bad I'm sure you would put this on as well. During these times, OFF just will not do the job and if you don't have a choice you just do what you gotta do.(Its recommended to be sprayed on clothing) Personally, I'm a firm believer in the vinegar. Don't know about the B-1 but I think I may try it. I rarely ever put anything on and am usually not bitten while someone with me will be cursing the mosquitoes.

I don't know how much worse the South Georgia mosquitos are from the not-so-south Georgia mosquitos, but I lived in Atlanta for about 16 years so I'm at least a little familiar with the problem. 'Off' always handled it for me, but I do tend to be a little crotchety at times, so maybe that stood me in good stead and gave me a bit of an advantage. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts