tiny calf

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
:compute: I have a 3yr old herferd x, bred her with a black angus bull , mon. she had a little red/wht face heifer. The calf was term fully developed hairy little thing but tiny, tiny, tiny she probably weighs 40#, acts normal though. Should I be watching out for something with calf or mama, this was her first calf we bred her last yr, but she didn't take. Cute spunky little calf though.

If she's eating good, bodily functions are right and she acts normal, I wouldn;t worry about her. I would just keep an eye on her, but calves that small tend to make me a bit paranoid about the what ifs.

the premies that we have had were due to herd fighting. we know this cause we see the herd fight, and one of the cows involved would slip a premature calf. always alive, while we are calving the rest of the herd. Th other factor was a slip of the feet on spring ice.

When we called the vet on the little guy we had on the weekend, she said that if it were more than one or two, she would recommend a pannel of the cow and the calf to see if it were a disease that caused it. But if it was just one, probably an accident of some kind.
She also said that it was normal in a herd our size to have one, not uncommon. As well she said that there could be a possiblilty that the cow can not carry a calf to term, something wrong with the uterus. She said to give a second chance to the cow.

RR

Calf seems in good health running ,nursing good, just seems like a minature calf, but maybe she will get a growth spurt!

Might be she's just genetically small. CB talks about calves that "get here the size of a housecat"... well, when I was visiting relatives last week I realized that's the type of calves they like too. Little buggers that even the heaviest won't top 50lbs - I know, because I brought a sick calf in and was amazed how tiny she was. As it was phrased to me, "I want those cows to be able to spit 'em out sideways if they want to." :lol:

'Course, in your case, nutrition in the last trimester will influence calf size. What was she eating?

:banana: Little heifer calf thinks she is king of the hill, that little thing has more spunk than the other two calves-----doin gooooood!

Latest posts