Tin topped post

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Does anyone use tin on top of there wooden post? I am considering putting some tin on the top of some new wooden fence post I just installed. Any suggestions on what kind of tin works best?

Tin over the top of the posts makes it shead water instead of the water soakin into the end grain and rotting the post out sooner. Valley flashing like used on a house roof before shingles works good and it's fairly cheap. cut in a square with sides folded over down the outside of the post. Nail on corners of those flaps.

I'm assuming it's to stop water from seeping into the top of the post to keep it from rotting as quickly. I've never did it but have seen people use bottoms out of coffee cans and such.

Jersey Lilly and jgn, thank you! We don't get enough rain to have a problem with the posts rotting out, but I sure do appreciate the info! :)

denoginnizer":21ud4vox said:
Does anyone use tin on top of there wooden post? I am considering putting some tin on the top of some new wooden fence post I just installed. Any suggestions on what kind of tin works best?

I don,t , but I have seen fence with a lot of tin cans on the posts.

cans, tin squares,2 gal ice cream buckets, and my personal favorite roofing tar applied liberally. Also have cut the tops of the post at an angle for southern exposure so water and ice will drain off intead of standing on post top.

Although I like the idea of having to eat a couple hundred 2 gallon ice cream buckets full of ice cream I think I am going to to try the flashing.

My tops always outlast the bottoms. Mine rot off at the ground before the tops even begin to show signs of rot.

My dad told us to try this with our posts -

We use roofing tar on the tops, cut at angles, but we also put the tar on the part that goes into the hole and up at least 2" from that. The ground level is where posts rot first, so we're hoping the roofing tar 2" above ground level will waterproof it there. It is cheap enough, but it takes time to put it on when you are trying to build a fence.

But, we don't do this for our cedar posts or cresoted posts - just the treated lumber.

I'll let you know in 20 years if it works. ;-)

when you're picking rock, the flat bottom rocks go on the wooden fence posts. Or you can be unique like a few around here and hang your old boots out there.

Have seen a guy hang used tires on his posts. Think that could create a different problem though like breeding ground for misquetos. Don't know if he took the time to try and put some drain holes in them so they don't collect water.

Farmhand":o4ldombp said:
Have seen a guy hang used tires on his posts. Think that could create a different problem though like breeding ground for misquetos. Don't know if he took the time to try and put some drain holes in them so they don't collect water.

Did they have "no trespassing" painted on them by chance?

Wouldn't it be quicker to walk down the fence line with a bucket and paint brush applying linseed oil?

den....,

Aluminum is great for the top of wood posts. AS you travel around watch for a guy doing aluminum trim on a building. The width of an aluminum coil is 24" and the typical face board/overhang is such that waste is involved...most often they will give the strips to you. (I bought two guys a lunch one day and they gave me a whole bunch which was laying in the back of his truck). Everyone was happy. Cut them to size where the piece will come down over the posts about 2 inches with roofing nails on the sides. Putting a glob of silicone chaulking on top of the post before installing the aluminum is a plus.
We put them on the interior fence line posts with good results.

I have seen tin cans like bean cans on the posts around here, but I really like the idea of eating a couple hundred buckets of ice cream, yum lol, just kidding that was a good one though

My neighbor uses asphalt shingles. Thought I'd try that on the crossties that I use as posts at the corral. They have some cracks in the top.

dj":s2a37jon said:
Farmhand":s2a37jon said:

Did they have "no trespassing" painted on them by chance?
No. It was an all wood post fenceline around a pasture. Every single post had a tire hanging on it. No paint of any kind anywhere. Still not sure what the reasoning was for it.

Someone mentioned posts rotting at the bottom first.. I've noticed, in pulling a bunch of really crappy fencing from my place, that only the first 8 or 10 inches below grade shows any rot.. In a post buried 3 feet, the last two feet always look perfect, even when the hole is full of water..

Just below grade is the section where the most 'biological activity' takes place, so it makes sense that this is where the rot happens.. A remedy I've heard of is to char that section a little bit.. For example, you'd char the wood 1/2" deep, starting 2 inches above ground to about a foot below, if that makes sense.. Apparently, charred wood is no kinda food for whatever causes posts to rot out, so they leave it alone..

Though I've never tried it, the theory makes a little bit of sense to me.. Just thought I'd pass it along as an idea..

I used old inner tubes cut them in squares, wrapped over the top and nailed on the sides,don't know how long they will hold up but they were free and it was easy.

Latest posts