End post/brace strength for wire options

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun103

Reaction score
Would a HT woven wire fence have more or less total tension on end braces (requiring stronger assemblies) than an equivalent number of smooth horizontal or barbed horizontal wires? I'm guessing the individual wires will require more total tension. Thanks

My guess would be the woven wire because not only do the braces support the tension but they also support the weight of the fence.

Line posts support the weight of the wire. Tension is like for like if wire is like for like. 13 strands of 12.5 gauge HT slick wire will have the same applied force as 1348-12 12.5 gauge HT net wire. HT barbed wire complicates the equation, since 14 gauge HT barbed is a reverse twist with two strands per wire. Build a good brace, and it'll hold any fence you strap to it.

Seems to me that individual wires are easier to stretch than netting. therefore you'd get more stress on the brace vs. netting.

But the braces "make" the fence. Don't skimp 'cuz of that ^.

I would say that on a net wire fence the vertical stays pick up some of the load.
Cut one line wire on a net fence and you'll see what I mean.
But I don't believe the difference or the question is worth discussing. A proper built btace and it didn't matter

Latest posts