Cutting Pipe into Post

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Anybody got a quick way to cut drill pipe into post? I've been using a torch but it takes forever to get enough for what I need. Tomorrow I need to cut about 40 8' post. I'm going to try a porta band again but have never had much luck getting very many before pinching and ruining a blade.

Torch should be about the fastest way. I have cut a lot of pipe with a 6" grinder.
Any way you could use a chop saw?

I'm not having trouble with the torch. It's just the drag the pipe, measure, mark, light torch, cut, turn pipe, cut 40 times that slowing me down.

I haven't taken the time to up a table for the chop saw yet. I usually leave the pipe on the trailer and pull it off the back 8' at a time to cut into post.

Maybe I'm just getting a little lazy. LOL

Lucky said:
I'm not having trouble with the torch. It's just the drag the pipe, measure, mark, light torch, cut, turn pipe, cut 40 times that slowing me down.

I haven't taken the time to up a table for the chop saw yet. I usually leave the pipe on the trailer and pull it off the back 8' at a time to cut into post.

Oh, I see. I used to lay a few pipes on the ground to act as a pipe rack and lay the rest of the pipe across so they could roll, then mark and cut away.

I built some sawhorses out of pipe yesterday to keep left overs off the ground. I'm going to try and mark several today and see how that works. I've tried it on the trailer but the wood floor took the chalk marks off. I might just start buying them pre-cut, cost a dollar or too more but may be worth it. It's getting impossible to find any help these days.

M.Magis said:
Cold cut chop saw will cut faster than anything else. By a large margin.

Yes a gas powered chop saw with a good blade is the ticket and I've cut a boatload of pipe. Make sure you don't catch your pant legs on fire as almost everyone does the first time they cut pipe this way.

We use a chop saw. And often cut on the trailer.
Sometimes on the ground. Either way. The marks are put on the ground or the trailer. Then the tape measure is put away. It don't make a hill of beans if a post is off a couple inches either way.
I'd expect two guys to have 40 post cut ,banded and on the trailer in around a hour.
I do usually buy cut post though. Since when they are available I can buy them same price as full joints.... :cowboy:

I started out this morning with the torch and was able to get 17 in about an hour. The wife called and said she was freed up and offered to help so I switched to the porta band. We got 26 more in about 45 minutes. Not allot faster but much easier and less work. I have enough drops to make two more sawhorses for post to set on while cutting, I think I can move along faster by myself this way.

I've cut a ton of post over the last few years. I really should have found a better way sooner.

Lucky said:

Most likely that age thing catching up to you..... :lol:

callmefence said:
Sometimes on the ground. Either way. The marks are put on the ground or the trailer. Then the tape measure is put away. It don't make a hill of beans if a post is off a couple inches either way.
I'd expect two guys to have 40 post cut ,banded and on the trailer in around a hour.
I do usually buy cut post though. Since when they are available I can buy them same price as full joints.... :cowboy:

That's pretty fast.

Have you bought any pipe from Dubose Pipe & Gate in Lometa, Tx. They advertise new 2 1/2" in 24' joints for $1.05 a foot. It's a little far for me to go but would be worth the drive if it's good pipe.

1982vett said:
Lucky said:

Most likely that age thing catching up to you..... :lol:

I think you're right, I'm on the verge of having to admit it too myself :shock:

Lucky said:
callmefence said:

That's pretty fast.

Have you bought any pipe from Dubose Pipe & Gate in Lometa, Tx. They advertise new 2 1/2" in 24' joints for $1.05 a foot. It's a little far for me to go but would be worth the drive if it's good pipe.

William dubose is a longtime personal friend of mine. I buy a lot , most of my pipe from him.
That new pipe will be either 23/8 or 25/8 structural reject pipe. It's generally very clean. It's gonna be a bit softer steel than drill stem.
Which makes it easier to cut. And is just fine for fence pipe. Drill stem will drive better through rock simply because it's stiffer and harder. I've gotta place in lometa. Let me know if you come down.
If I miss you, tell Bill his boy Willie made a bet with Andy.....I don't have to pay my bill till he catches a yellow cat bigger than mine..

Silver said:
I can't imagine cutting 4 1/2" drill stem with a chop saw, maybe there are better saws and blades than I have seen.

It's slow going with an abrasive chop saw, but a cold cut saw is quite different. It zips through in seconds.

M.Magis said:
Silver said:
I can't imagine cutting 4 1/2" drill stem with a chop saw, maybe there are better saws and blades than I have seen.

It's slow going with an abrasive chop saw, but a cold cut saw is quite different. It zips through in seconds.

Sounds interesting, I will have to look into them.

We watched some videos on a cold saw at work a few weeks ago. I'll have to see if they bought one or not. Looked much faster and quieter than an abrasive chop saw.

Silver said:
M.Magis said:
Silver said:

Sounds interesting, I will have to look into them.

So I took a picture of Pete cutting post out of 27/8 oilfield pipe yesterday with a 15 amp Makita chopsaw on the ground and harbor freight STUD abrasive blades. Of generator power. He cut 80 post and bundled them in bundles of 20 by himself in about 5 hours. Including lunch.. And 1 1/2 blades. I don't like cold cut blades. The key is proper pressure and most importantly regular deglazing of the blade.

I've never had any luck with standard electric abrasive chop saws, especially on thicker walled stuff
My old workplace had a cold cut saw, very expensive blades but they last forever and they do cut fast (and quiet)

For a portable system, a gas powered abrasive chop saw is really nice.. also, don't just watch for your pant leg burning but any grass or whatever else is around! (the fuel can?) I was just given an old, bagged out saw (need to give it a rebuild) and it's still been handy.
Biggest problem with the electric ones on a stand is it's hard to rotate the pipe, they don't like cutting through thick pieces of metal (glazing, melting their way through, etc), the handheld gas powered one allows you to rock the cut back and forth reducing heat buildup in one area

Latest posts