How to Remove Corner Post

Help Support CattleToday:

klm3030

Reaction score
Need to replace several creosote 25 year, that lasted 10 years corner post, most have gate hanging on them so need to put
replacements (hedge) in the same spot. Sometimes can pull them but most just break off, if try to auger them out just slips to one side, need ideas?

What we do at work is drive a ground rod down the middle of the broke pole butt and use that to pull it. Typically they are rotten just at the surface and below grade is solid.

Auger down beside it and pry the stump over into the augered hole. Sometimes you have to use your post hole diggers to expand your hole half around. .
Once you get the top to lean over into the new hole hook your chain around it and pull it out.

callmefence said:
Auger down beside it and pry the stump over into the augered hole. Sometimes you have to use your post hole diggers to expand your hole half around. .
Once you get the top to lean over into the new hole hook your chain around it and pull it out.
I did this just last week on a gateway down 150' from the river. I put that gate in in 2016..one of the new type of PT. Rotted off right below ground. I just dug down with manual diggers pryed it over a bit and hooked the chain on it like you said and pulled it out...made a sucking sound as it came out so I knew it would be wet down there.
I have pulled them out with a chain and track jack but this one I could get the tractor to.
Hit water 3' down as I put one of my old creosote powerline posts in it's place...water and lots and lots of it.
Clay on top couple 3 feet and water bearing sand for a long way below that.
I have some old corners and ends in the same area with crossties and sawed power poles that have been there and still holding fence since 1964-1965 and seen more floods than I can count. They just don't make good stuff anymore.

Forget all that. Wrap a chain so that it won't slip around the post you want to pull out as close to the ground as possible. Lay a short length sawed off section of post, 12 inch diameter or more. under the chain snugged up against the post you want pulled. Attach other end of chain to drawbar of tractor and drive off with tractor in low gear. That'll get most of it, then pull out all the leftover rotted off remnants by hand.

ga.prime said:
Forget all that. Wrap a chain so that it won't slip around the post you want to pull out as close to the ground as possible. Lay a short length sawed off section of post, 12 inch diameter or more. under the chain snugged up against the post you want pulled. Attach other end of chain to drawbar of tractor and drive off with tractor in low gear. That'll get most of it, then pull out all the leftover rotted off remnants by hand.

I've seen that done, works like a champ.

ga.prime said:

Forget all that, root down around the broken post with your tree shear get half a bite on the post. And pull it out.

For the method you described.
A old wheel works very good for this method.
As long as you have something to chain to. Which isn't always the case.

Bunch of good ideas, will probably try them all except don't have a tree shear. thanks guys

Latest posts