Cutting Pipe into Post

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Silver said:
M.Magis said:
It's slow going with an abrasive chop saw, but a cold cut saw is quite different. It zips through in seconds.

Sounds interesting, I will have to look into them.

So I took a picture of Pete cutting post out of 27/8 oilfield pipe yesterday with a 15 amp Makita chopsaw on the ground and harbor freight STUD abrasive blades. Of generator power. He cut 80 post and bundled them in bundles of 20 by himself in about 5 hours. Including lunch.. And 1 1/2 blades. I don't like cold cut blades. The key is proper pressure and most importantly regular deglazing of the blade.

Callmefence how do you deglaze an abrasive blade? The only way I know is to cut a thin piece of stock that is standing up perpendicular to the blade. It seems like the cheaper blades definitely glaze up faster than the expensive ones

ohiosteve said:
callmefence said:
Silver said:
Sounds interesting, I will have to look into them.

So I took a picture of Pete cutting post out of 27/8 oilfield pipe yesterday with a 15 amp Makita chopsaw on the ground and harbor freight STUD abrasive blades. Of generator power. He cut 80 post and bundled them in bundles of 20 by himself in about 5 hours. Including lunch.. And 1 1/2 blades. I don't like cold cut blades. The key is proper pressure and most importantly regular deglazing of the blade.

Callmefence how do you deglaze an abrasive blade? The only way I know is to cut a thin piece of stock that is standing up perpendicular to the blade. It seems like the cheaper blades definitely glaze up faster than the expensive ones

Might not be the correct way but I always just take a piece of flat thin-ish bar, get the blade spinning, let off the trigger and tap the edge of the flat bar against the cutting edge while the blade is still spinning.

Silver said:
ohiosteve said:
callmefence said:

Might not be the correct way but I always just take a piece of flat thin-ish bar, get the blade spinning, let off the trigger and tap the edge of the flat bar against the cutting edge while the blade is still spinning.
Haha, that's what I do also, I was just wondering if there was any other way.

ohiosteve said:
Silver said:
ohiosteve said:

Haha, that's what I do also, I was just wondering if there was any other way.
[/quote
We just pick up on the saw while starting a cut and kinda slap the blade against the pipe. Do it on nearly every cut. With a little practice you never break stride. You just develop a feel for how hard to hit it.
You can tell when the blade is starting to glaze.
As your Sparks get smaller and less of them.
Then it starts cutting slow and most people just push harder. Deglazing as soon as you see the sparks starting to change makes all the difference in the world.

Cut 28 more post today with the porta band. I'd guess it took 2.5 hours. Think it would have went faster but I made a few mistakes with the new setup I've been trying out. Pretty much I got the pipe on saw horses and cradle 1 piece on top of 2. Then I set the tractor forks up so I can pull a piece of pipe on top of them and have room to make the cut. Once cut they roll off the slightly angled forks into a not so neat pile.

Latest posts