Timely Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Wow....I haven't driven all the pastures in a couple weeks. What a difference a couple inches of rain over 3 weeks in August can do. Got some pictures and will start by going back a few years....

Ah, yes. November 2008, pretty much the beginning of erratic rainfall if you don't count 2006. I was running around 120 cows at the time.
trees_4.jpg

cows_4.jpg

June 2009, Still not getting a whole lot of rainfall, but still carrying over 100 cows.
Rested_Pasture.JPG

Unrenovated_Pasture.JPG

October 2009, Obviously had gotten some rain.
Looking_Good.JPG

June 2010, Creek came out. First time in a few years that had happened. Looks like I had shredded the pasture just before. Was still carrying a full herd but that was soon to change.
0108.JPG

May 2011, I began to cull cows mostly based on temperament, age, and productivity.

July 2011, Continuing to cull cows. Have about 80 at this time.

September 2011, By now I've culled down to about 50 keeping only Brangus and a couple Angus cows. Mid November had enough hay to carry 27 cows into January when I planed to sell the rest of them. Christmas Eve we began getting rain.

April 2012, Cattle market began to turn up as the grass began to grow. Instead of selling out I began to buy decent looking cows that could put on weight. I'm up to about 47 head by May.

August 2013, Another tough summer. Haven't bought anything, but have begun to hold replacement heifers.

January 2014, Although short, I do have green winter pasture. Carrying about 50 cows and heifers.

November 2014, Early frost and short pastures

April 2015, 2015 started out normal, but by the end of May we had nearly gotten our yearly rainfall average.

October 2015, but for June to mid October we saw only 2 inches. This is some Kleingrass I had held the cows off of in hopes of strengthening the stand.

November 2015, Between mid October and the end of November we had gotten another 20 inches of rain. Winter pasture is taking off. Total rainfall for 2015 was around 62 inches.

April 2016, rainfall has been in the normal range. Grass is looking good.

Today, September 16, 2016, While the pasture did stress a bit without rainfall in July and the first two weeks of August, the last two weeks saw 8 inches over 8 different days. Most areas around here got much more but I'm not complaining. been busy doing other things and haven't been to these pastures lately and I knew they had some extraordinary grass, but I never expected to find it like this this morning.

Put a tape on it, seed head tops out at 55 inches.

Sorry about the weeds, I had intended to graze then shred off, but fence work overruled and I had already spent the chemical budget.

This got sprayed.

Stuck the tape down in this, it's 22 inches deep.

Vett, really enjoyed your pictures with the timeline. You have a nice looking place. Its amazing how the droughts are burned into my memory but I will quickly forget how nice Aug this year was with the mild temps and plentiful rain. I will go back to dreading the months of July and Aug by next year.

By the way, what is that bright green grass in the lower left of your last picture? Have seen plenty of it coming up since the rain started. I assume it is some type of cool season? Cows don't seem to be interested in it but I have yet to identify it.

vett waht kind of grass is the tall long stemmed stuff?? I see it around here but don't have any in my pastures.

Thanks JLScattle. It's been a good grass year for sure. I have to credit that to more timely rainfall which probably helped keep temperatures down too.

That grass in the lower left corner....can't say I really know what it is. Not sure if it's a cool season grass being its taller than 20 inch Bermuda in September. Seems like it's more prevalent in wetter areas or maybe places that have been disturbed. Very well could be their due to hog rooting. I haven't had cows on that pasture since March. I'll try to remember to go back and take a closer look. Maybe can figure it out now that you have asked.

TexasBred, that's KR Bluestem. I've never seen it grow that tall myself but it's fairly prevalent around here in unimproved pastures. It's very similar to Old World Bluestem. By the way, it's in the same area as where the cows are being fed in the second picture.

JLScattle":2xtub0lb said:
By the way, what is that bright green grass in the lower left of your last picture? Have seen plenty of it coming up since the rain started. I assume it is some type of cool season? Cows don't seem to be interested in it but I have yet to identify it.

I finally made it back out to get a better look and get a couple pictures. I'm still not sure exactly what it is and even though it is scattered around quite a bit their isn't a whole lot of it. It's growing in both the blue stem and bermuda pastures. I am open to suggestions however from what I've been able to find, it appears it's a type of Panicum, maybe Panicum_anceps (Beaked Panicgrass).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panicum_anceps

Vett, that is exactly what I'm finding around my pastures also. I was surprised that my cows wouldn't eat it as green and lush as it was a week ago. They eat most everything else. Maybe it is just new to them.

I agree that it appears it might be beaked panicgrass. Thanks for the follow up.

1982vett":57zi1s8r said:
Wow....I haven't driven all the pastures in a couple weeks. What a difference a couple inches of rain over 3 weeks in August can do. Got some pictures and will start by going back a few years....

Ah, yes. November 2008, pretty much the beginning of erratic rainfall if you don't count 2006. I was running around 120 cows at the time.
]

I really liked the pictures thanks for sharing

JLScattle":3csxxyk4 said:
Vett, that is exactly what I'm finding around my pastures also. I was surprised that my cows wouldn't eat it as green and lush as it was a week ago. They eat most everything else. Maybe it is just new to them.

I agree that it appears it might be beaked panicgrass. Thanks for the follow up.
It looks tough and unpalatable. Might be good for weavin a basket tho. :lol:

Latest posts