Time to ship or not.

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
Got a suprise this morning, We had this cow on the cull list because we didn't think she was going to calve this year. Didn't look bred at all. But here is the little feller. Right after I took the pic he hopped up and took off running.Had alot of feet trouble from her. She lost alot of weight last year so we weren't sure if she would bred or not. She was late having it. None of the other cows had any feet trouble at all. So she probably needs to hit the road when we wean the calf. She is 7 yr old cow. We never kept any heifers out of her, because her bag is not the best but she was raising good calves. What do ya'll think? She did gain her weight back this spring and looks pretty good now.

new.jpg

Just my opinion, but I would consider selling them as a pair. You can wait to ween, but she is seven years old with feet problems. She may be in pretty poor body condition come weening. Get the money for her while you can.

That is a good point I'm not sure what happenrd to her. She had a sore back foot, then it got better and she was lame on a front one. We could not find anything wrong with either foot. It took her about 3 months to get completly over it. She lost alot of weight. It would come and got in spells. She is about a 1200 lbs cow now she did gain back. We could keep the calf on her for a couple months then sell them as a pair with our second load of calves. She might never have any more trouble, but we kept 10 heifers last year that will calve in the spring and only have 3 cows we were going to cull this fall so we might as well send her. Thanks 3MR. I think that is a good idea.

J&T Farm":h32u4wl6 said:
That is a good point I'm not sure what happenrd to her. She had a sore back foot, then it got better and she was lame on a front one. We could not find anything wrong with either foot. It took her about 3 months to get completly over it. She lost alot of weight. It would come and got in spells. She is about a 1200 lbs cow now she did gain back. We could keep the calf on her for a couple months then sell them as a pair with our second load of calves. She might never have any more trouble, but we kept 10 heifers last year that will calve in the spring and only have 3 cows we were going to cull this fall so we might as well send her. Thanks 3MR. I think that is a good idea.
well since she was limping on the back foot.id say it was caused from 1 or 2 things.an thats she stepped on something or she had foot rot.either 1 would take her awhile to get over.an since your saying she was limping on the front foot later.id lean towards footrot.you can sale or keep her thats up to you.i think id keep her.an she what she does.but thats me.

If she missed calving in the spring with the rest of your herd or if she has gone over 12 months I would cull her .

I would sell her anyway for calving in Aug.

WORANCH":39ssddji said:

I've got 3 right now that calved outside of our calving window and will be hitting the salebarn (or is that sell barn) as soon as the weather cools off.

dun":15bqgzxz said:
WORANCH":15bqgzxz said:

I've got 3 right now that calved outside of our calving window and will be hitting the salebarn (or is that sell barn) as soon as the weather cools off.

you got me. :D I guess I have been out in this heat to long.

I cannot type or spell . I think it's an Ozark thing.

she looks kind of bullish to me. i'd probably send her packing.

I have always told my husband that was a weird looking cow. Her eyes and snout look funny to me. That pic don't show it real good. I told my husband we need to send her before winter.

no but I just hate the thought of seeing her get crippled again, and taking a chance on it when we have good replacment heifers. I don't want to sell anything most of the calves I raised and would keep them forever but I also hate to watch one get down and die or having to put one down. Would rather see them leave here fairly healthy.

Problem is you'll get can and cutter prices for her if she comes out the gate limping. I like 3mr's suggestion, but just worried she'll get split because of the limp and you'll get nothing for her. Unless you feel she really can't raise a good calf.

i have one that limps like a 3 legged dog but raises the best calf in the herd every year. I just know if I send her she'll bring nothing. JMO

Latest posts