Time to repaint corner posts & gates...??

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
Ok, existing corner posts & gates are structurely sound, but rough visual shape. It looks to have 2 coats of paint that is all chipping and flaking off. So painting over is most likely not an option. Wanted opinions on what my options are to remove the paint and clean it up...sanding, fire, pressure washing etc??? thxs

Well if you can get electricity to it a hand held grinder with a wire brush attached to it works pretty good. Jsut make sure to wear something on oyur eyes cause it gets pretty messy. Sanding with some really grainy stuff like 180 or less might work also.

Use a file and knock off the loose chunks, then repaint. It is the quickest and easyest way, and looks real good from the road going 60 pr.
Good luck
D.R.

I'd recommend getting a good hand held wire brush and knocking of the loose paint and painting over the rest. A pressure washer would prolly work pretty good if you really want to clean them up. I use one here around the place to clean the deck, picnic table, etc and it does a good job.

I used a hot air blow gun and a putty knife. Just pulled my welder trailer up to it and plugged the blow gun into the generator. Worked a lot quicker than I thought. Didn't take long at all.
Guess a propane torch might be quicker. Once the old paint gets hot it softens and comes off in strips.

Cal

I'm assuming these are metal....I use a wire brushes...one in each hand working it...however, the best prevention is using the correct type of paint...I prefer oil-base Rustoleum paint....a neutral background color that won't look junky in the winter. Hunter green is ok/acceptable, but a light earthly bark brown is best for all seasons. Get it on a nice dry-hot day (brush it and work it in, level coat it off) and the oil-base paint will sink-in, set-up, and you'll be done for a least a decade, maybe two. best wishes

Great responses... yes its a metal post fence. I will try a couple of these options to see what works best & fastest...

Latest posts