First time ever

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So I was sitting in my recliner eating some lunch. I look out the window and there is a bovine in my driveway (not the first time). I go out side and said critter is walking around my pickup. It is a large Charolais bull nearly in my yard (not the first time). So Patty the puppy and I get on the quad and chase him out the driveway (not our first time doing that). I know the brand (certainly not the first time) and I saw some of the owners cows down the road a couple miles. So down the road we go behind a bull at about 3 MPH. Every now and then Patty gets tired of the slow pace. She jumps off the quad and gets behind the bull. Obviously not the fist time a dog has got after this bull. He doesn't fight but picks up the pace. About a mile and a half down I can tell there is someone coming up behind us because Patty turns around and is watch who ever is behind us (not the first time for this). She is my rear view when riding on the quad. A side by side slowly passes me. Probably nervous about the big bull I am following. Tourists are always nervous about bulls. As the side by side passes me I notice it has Virginia license plate. Now that is a first. What is a Virginia licensed side by side doing on a very rural road in Eastern Oregon?

So I was sitting in my recliner eating some lunch. I look out the window and there is a bovine in my driveway (not the first time). I go out side and said critter is walking around my pickup. It is a large Charolais bull nearly in my yard (not the first time). So Patty the puppy and I get on the quad and chase him out the driveway (not our first time doing that). I know the brand (certainly not the first time) and I saw some of the owners cows down the road a couple miles. So down the road we go behind a bull at about 3 MPH. Every now and then Patty gets tired of the slow pace. She jumps off the quad and gets behind the bull. Obviously not the fist time a dog has got after this bull. He doesn't fight but picks up the pace. About a mile and a half down I can tell there is someone coming up behind us because Patty turns around and is watch who ever is behind us (not the first time for this). She is my rear view when riding on the quad. A side by side slowly passes me. Probably nervous about the big bull I am following. Tourists are always nervous about bulls. As the side by side passes me I notice it has Virginia license plate. Now that is a first. What is a Virginia licensed side by side doing on a very rural road in Eastern Oregon?
Side x sides have licenses? First time I've heard that. I hope that's not a new trend

It wasnt me this time.
But side by sides arent licensed in Virginia nor allowed on the road.

It wasnt me this time.
But side by sides arent licensed in Virginia nor allowed on the road.
Hmmmm The plate sure said Virginia. I don't know what the law is in Oregon. But here in Baker County I have seen quads and side by sides on nearly every road except the freeway. I have been going down Old Highway 30 on my quad, passed a deputy. I waved to him, he waved to me. Back before they built the freeway that road was the cross state highway.

NH makes EVERYTHING get a license... my father had to have a license on his BACKHOE... had rubber tires with a bucket on front and a backhoe on the back... this one is big too.... not some little one but really good sized... Have to have a license on a tractor to go down the road... snowmobiles, you name it...

I've heard of fork lift operator licenses and in North Carolina, I had to get a tow tractor license once, to move F-4 Phantoms around.

Intruders!!
You needa tag in Montana and you can ride nearly anywhere, Idaho too. A bunch of those$$$ side by sides are road legal here.

Maybe not the same as yours, Dave, but I was sitting just earlier today in a parlor in Texas talking to an old man when his dogs started acting up. He said somebody must be pulling up and I stepped and looked through the door and said "Naw, just a heavy set fella on a big quarter horse cross rocking along in a decent roping saddle" and we kept on talking.

Maybe not the same as yours, Dave, but I was sitting just earlier today in a parlor in Texas talking to an old man when his dogs started acting up. He said somebody must be pulling up and I stepped and looked through the door and said "Naw, just a heavy set fella on a big quarter horse cross rocking along in a decent roping saddle" and we kept on talking.

Everyone here has horses. But you just never see then out pleasure riding. If someone goes by horseback there is either a bunch of cows in front of them or they are going to get some cows.

Everyone here has horses. But you just never see then out pleasure riding. If someone goes by horseback there is either a bunch of cows in front of them or they are going to get some cows.
He wasn't headed to work or coming back from it, he wasn't rigged for it. You know who's headed to or from cow work with their horses around there because most people have to load them to take them, you can tell by their rigs and their heels. The ones who never take their spurs off are usually the full bill of goods.

Side by sides here in WY can be licensed to be 'street legal'. If you don't use them on the highway, they don't need to have a license.

sounds like the same situation at my place, minus the side by side. now i have an extra cow in my pasture and about fifteen neighbor cows father up the road. neighbor that owns the cattle isn't answering my phone text. I'm going to bed.

I've always said I never understood why anyone would "pleasure ride". I do like being horseback, but only if there is a job to do or something to teach the horse. Preferably both.
Back in high school girls would find out I had horses and want to go for ride. Even the pretty ones got a definite 'no'.

I've always said I never understood why anyone would "pleasure ride". I do like being horseback, but only if there is a job to do or something to teach the horse. Preferably both.
Back in high school girls would find out I had horses and want to go for ride. Even the pretty ones got a definite 'no'.
LOL... In high school we were living on the edge of a city and had real estate that was "grandfathered in" so it had animal rights. My dad rented pasture (dirt) for people to keep their horses and I was gentling young quarter horses for a guy before he'd send them to a trainer that would make them nuts, to cutter race on snow.

But I'd ride the horses all over the east bench of the city. Showing up at a girl's house on a horse was not something a lot of girls/parents expected, and it seemed to win me points with both. I liked riding before I got old enough to ache.

This is how I feel about folks who are really into 4 wheeling or dirt bikes for recreation.