Time to building another herd!

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":3mc4vczz said:
Massey135":3mc4vczz said:
pdfangus":3mc4vczz said:
i have not worked with any but my son had some Braunvieh and he fussed a lot about birth weights and calving...He is a pretty good cow man and it is was not an issue of mismanagement.

he does not have any of them any more.
Same could be said of SAV type Angus.

that must be why they are so popular and enjoy good prices.
and are a he#@ of a animal

chippie":28hjf6o3 said:
This is our son's fullblood original Braunvieh cow with an Angus bull calf. The Angus x Braunvieh cross is a good one. The calves are well built, grow well and are meaty. The cross can be registered which can be a plus. I think that the bulls are called Beef Builders. We had one who produced some exceptional calves. One is a heifer out of our daughter's Beefmaster cow. I'll try to get pics of her later.

I really like the Braunviehs because they are a quiet gentle breed that are easy to work.

246159542_gnVHa-M.jpg

ETA: this is the calf's sire:

http://www.sydgen.com/herdsires/SAFFame.html

SAFFame2_01.jpg

Well the google search on Braunvieh cattle comes up empty and I got feeling that they are limited numbers in Minnesota. They are nice cattle that's for sure. I looked up on Red Poll breeders in Minnesota and it appeared there are four ranches that has them....I have no idea that there is a breeder in my area!

3waycross":1kjxdfze said:
Taurus":1kjxdfze said:
JeffMills517":1kjxdfze said:
Try Gelbvieh, you will enjoy the milking ability, docility and heterosis when breeding to a black angus bull.
Old fashioned Gelbvieh or black Gelbvieh? I saw the old fashioned ones at country fair few years ago but boy they were huge cows! Not sure if there is 1,200lbs gelbvieh existed but then again I am not very familiar with this breed.

Well if you're not familiar with the breed you should stop making blanket uneducated statements about them!

somebody has a bug up his azz......and i was enjoying this thread

denvermartinfarms":1hu062eo said:
hereford cows and breed to a brangus or angus bull.
I need to mentioned my location in first post. I live in central Minnesota so I don't think Brahman and their composites are popular in here unless you are talking about hobby farm or rodeo stock. Cold-tolerant Brahman do existed but I don't need any additional stresses about them in the winter and I see no benifits in them up north.

Now what you think of a polled hereford cow with a black bull or a horned hereford cow with a black bull? Or just same results from crossbreeding?

i think horned or polled cows with a black bull would be my choice. i was wondering about your location when i said brangus. the other one would be charolias cows with a horned hereford bull. these would be what i would want rather that red angus or gelbvieh.

pdfangus":1d5q6pi2 said:
Massey135":1d5q6pi2 said:
pdfangus":1d5q6pi2 said:
i have not worked with any but my son had some Braunvieh and he fussed a lot about birth weights and calving...He is a pretty good cow man and it is was not an issue of mismanagement.

he does not have any of them any more.
Same could be said of SAV type Angus.

that must be why they are so popular and enjoy good prices.

That would be why i can't stand that Iron Mountain bull. Of course he did throw a 92 pound bull calf for me which that sorry ole CROSSBRED heifer spit out like a cocker spaniel puppy. Sorry SOB's both of them if you ask me! BTW that same calf on a first calf heifer weighed 453lbs at 90 days and is close to 600 now and they are not on any feed other than grass..........those darned SAV cattle sorry buggers every one!

Taurus":1kvzahxb said:
Now what you think of a polled hereford cow with a black bull or a horned hereford cow with a black bull? Or just same results from crossbreeding?
I am from central Mn as well. I would recommend a continental breed for the bull (I like the Gelbvieh and Simmental, and be very picky where he is concerned), paired with a polled hereford cow. You would do well at the sale barn, even better if you wanted to finish your steers yourself. Good luck finding commercial hereford cows/heifers ~ when I was building herd you couldn't even find them (might be something else for you to think about if you were interested in selling replacements private treaty). To me, black would not be an issue. Good luck in whatever you decide!

I like the bruanvieh cross also. The only problem with heifer offspring, is you will want to keep most of them. They are some of the most feminine calves I'm raised. And, like gelbveih, they do start to cycle early, very fertile. I've not yet had any calving problems, using a braunvieh bull (92lbs), but you definitely do not want to feed much in the last stage of pregnancy. You would be asking for problems.

Your baldy combination is tried and true!

Ok what if I breed the hereford cows to a homo black simmental bull? Will this cross produced heavy baldy calves that will ring the bell?

it should be a good cross i don't personally have alot of expirence with simmental bulls but i do know enough that they should work on some hereford cows.

The people I buy most of my bulls from shoot for a 3/4 angus 1/4 simm. And they retain ownership through the feedlot. Have successfully for years. I would think that a black simm over hereford cows would work real well. Hold back those heifers and breed them Angus for that 3/4 britsh, 1/4 continetal that the feedlots like.

I'm sold on herefords and black simmental combo idea. Finding hereford cows should be easier than finding a quality black simmental bull.

Taurus":34ru4xfx said:
Finding hereford cows should be easier than finding a quality black simmental bull.
Exactly, which is why I said color should not be so much of an issue ~ "quality" is more important than "black" in ANY market your selling in around here (pasture to plate, replacements or steers). A continental bull (bllack or red or other) over those hereford cows would be a great start towards money in your pocket. :nod:

If I was to start a new herd in my small part of this world (the mid south area), I'm thinking I would want a cow herd of 1/4 Hereford X 1/4 Gert X 1/2 Red Gelbvieh then use a good Black Angus, Red Angus, or Charlois terminal sire depending on the market for black, red, or yellow calves. This would probably work in MN also, but I don't know, never been there.

You could consider the Bonsmara as a composite capable of taking the colder weather, they cross well with any available commercial breed, can be upgraded through AI. There is a buy back scheme in the USA which might be considered worthwhile I am not familiar with the details you can contact Mike Smith Bonsmara in OK for information;
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/profile/64616411/
Here are some pictures of Dr Strick's Bonsmara in Canada;
http://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photos ... id=8986914

While I am not familiar with Bonsmara cattle (they are nice cattle) but I want growth and mothering ability. That's why I'm focusing on simmental cattle.

Now are there some differences between a black simmental x hereford and a black angus x hereford?