Time to building another herd!

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
While I am maintaining a commerical black angus herd on the other land during summer, my home land is almost empty beside the horses and two steers. There is so much room on my land and many acres were ungrazing. I have been thinking for awhile to set up another commerical herd (just around 10-12 cows) at home and use a black bull on them. My goal is selling the calves to the sale barn. I wanted a different breed beside black angus. I was thinking about Herefords, breed them to a black bull to produce F1 black baldy calves. But I am impressed about Purebred Simmentals and Red Angus cattle lately. I just wanted something different but I am open to the ideas.

I like Braunviehs and Beefmasters, but what you get really depends on where you live and what does best at the market there.

You know you never hear much of purebred simmies bred to a herefords bull (probably because a lot of sim guys don't like herefords..me included...LOL JK). Might make some interesting baldies or blaze calves though.

chippie":123hsql7 said:
I like Braunviehs and Beefmasters, but what you get really depends on where you live and what does best at the market there.
That's why I was focus on the crossbreeding (use a black angus bull on them or maybe even a black simmental bull for growth). Blacks brings more $$$ in my area, but solid red calves are acceptable. The cows in my idea must be a material breed and use a black bull on them to produce a marketable crossbred black calf. The reason why I mentioned the herefords because the pasture at my home has plenty of shade.

JeffMills517":12sbilsx said:
Try Gelbvieh, you will enjoy the milking ability, docility and heterosis when breeding to a black angus bull.
Old fashioned Gelbvieh or black Gelbvieh? I saw the old fashioned ones at country fair few years ago but boy they were huge cows! Not sure if there is 1,200lbs gelbvieh existed but then again I am not very familiar with this breed.

if you are experimenting anyway....get two or three of each and see what works....adjust from there. I have lately been impressed by the dispositions of the red angus around here....performance seems to be adequate as well....herefords are a known commodity...We don't have many eared cattle around here so I can not comment.....when I was a kid my dad had charolais and I fought too many of them to ever love em....that and big calves.....Gelbvieh and simmental seem to be the next most popular around here. A good angus bull can fix most problems.....

This is our son's fullblood original Braunvieh cow with an Angus bull calf. The Angus x Braunvieh cross is a good one. The calves are well built, grow well and are meaty. The cross can be registered which can be a plus. I think that the bulls are called Beef Builders. We had one who produced some exceptional calves. One is a heifer out of our daughter's Beefmaster cow. I'll try to get pics of her later.

I really like the Braunviehs because they are a quiet gentle breed that are easy to work.

246159542_gnVHa-M.jpg

Taurus":2y2wdx1n said:
JeffMills517":2y2wdx1n said:
Try Gelbvieh, you will enjoy the milking ability, docility and heterosis when breeding to a black angus bull.
Old fashioned Gelbvieh or black Gelbvieh? I saw the old fashioned ones at country fair few years ago but boy they were huge cows! Not sure if there is 1,200lbs gelbvieh existed but then again I am not very familiar with this breed.

Well if you're not familiar with the breed you should stop making blanket uneducated statements about them!

3waycross":215hvjxk said:
Taurus":215hvjxk said:
JeffMills517":215hvjxk said:

Well if you're not familiar with the breed you should stop making blanket uneducated statements about them!
What is your deal? Did someone wake up on wrong side of the bed this morning?

Taurus,
One thing to remember is that if you saw show cattle at the fair, they will usually be heavier because they are fitted for show. A 4-H friend's son showed and raised the red colored Gelbvieh. They were awesome cattle. Nice size, produced exceptional calves and raised them on good pasture. They made $$$ on them.

chippie":1t31vtfw said:
Taurus,
One thing to remember is that if you saw show cattle at the fair, they will usually be heavier because they are fitted for show. A 4-H friend's son showed and raised the red colored Gelbvieh. They were awesome cattle. Nice size, produced exceptional calves and raised them on good pasture. They made $$$ on them.
actually I know this man who raised that cow she weights 1634lbs and her daughters were in 1500lbs range. The man's girlfriend told me quietly that she regularly pulled the calves out of the gelbvieh cows. I'm sure there are better gelbvieh than this man's gelbvieh cattle.

There are some red angus out there I really like. And example is the pictures that BRG posts here. But here there is that 10 cent benefit to black hided cattle....... To make money here I think that some good quality hereford cows that you can buy for about $200 less and breed them to a quality angus bull for those baldie calves that ring the bell every week.

Dave":2g1ezfdj said:
There are some red angus out there I really like. And example is the pictures that BRG posts here. But here there is that 10 cent benefit to black hided cattle....... To make money here I think that some good quality hereford cows that you can buy for about $200 less and breed them to a quality angus bull for those baldie calves that ring the bell every week.
Retain ownership through slaughter and you'll get the prmiums (if the grade well enough) no matter what color they are.

Dave":36hnj267 said:
that cross,, would definitely be at the top

Thank you for the input...now time to do some search on these breeds in Minnesota if I can locate some quality ones....still open to the ideas!

i have not worked with any but my son had some Braunvieh and he fussed a lot about birth weights and calving...He is a pretty good cow man and it is was not an issue of mismanagement.

he does not have any of them any more.

pdfangus":ca2sha0h said:
i have not worked with any but my son had some Braunvieh and he fussed a lot about birth weights and calving...He is a pretty good cow man and it is was not an issue of mismanagement.

Same could be said of SAV type Angus.

Massey135":3828tiwq said:
pdfangus":3828tiwq said:

Same could be said of SAV type Angus.

that must be why they are so popular and enjoy good prices.

Latest posts