tightening up some barb wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

If it appears that the wire was put up tight and the staples in the post are tight, your corner brace has moved. If there is a solid tree nearby, wrap a chain around the top of the corner post and the tree and use a ratchet binder to pull the post back strait and tighten the wire. You may have to tighten it a little over several days, so you don't put to much strain on the post. Re-brace the post and your done, or you can just leave the chain and binder in case you have to tighten it again. :)

LRTX1":qmgt0der said:
Like said, removing all the clips and re-stretching would be the way to do it right. If you plan on having to fix or put up a lot of barbed wire i'd spend a little on some tools made for it. Just bought a three hook stretcher.....man do I like it. Have never used the crimped splices, been thinking about it. Always just loop and twist a short piece to mend anything,

http://www.gemplers.com/product/126023/Three-hook-Wire-Stretcher

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G598/Heavy-duty-Splice-Crimper-Wire-Cutter

That 3 hook stretcher we call a goldenrod (brand name). It is all I have used since they came out with them. Used to use a come along with wire clamps on it when I was a kid, the goldenrod is much faster and easier. Have never had a problem with it damaging the wire. Most of our wire around here is anywhere from 20 to 40 years old. The goldenrod is easy for one guy to handle whether stretching in the middle of a run or stretching to a corner post. To stretch to a corner post just hook one end to the wire and hook the other end around the post. Since you have all staples, if you loosen them so the barbs can go through, you will find they will fall out later in many cases. If you have to loosen them, pull them all the way out and re-staple. Just don't hammer them all the way into the post so you won't have to fight it next time. Walk (or ride) the fence and only pull the staples that look like they are close enough to a barb to hang up. Give it a stretch, then double check to make sure no barbs are hung in a staple. I bet you only end up having to pull 1/3 of them or so.