tightening up some barb wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

lawnviewfarm

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently acquired more acres (75) that is all fenced with barb wire. Corner posts and bracing all look good. Line posts are all 5' 3-4" wood posts spaced approximately 10-12', no stays. Wire is mostly 5-strand, a few runs are 6-strand of barb wire. For the most part, the fences are in good shape, but there are a few runs where some of the strands are a little too loose for my liking. What would be your favorite method to take up the slack? Home place is all high-tensile electric with those ratchet strainers, so not much experience here maintaining barb wire fences (yet).

Thank!!

--Marc

Like said, removing all the clips and re-stretching would be the way to do it right. If you plan on having to fix or put up a lot of barbed wire i'd spend a little on some tools made for it. Just bought a three hook stretcher.....man do I like it. Have never used the crimped splices, been thinking about it. Always just loop and twist a short piece to mend anything,

http://www.gemplers.com/product/126023/Three-hook-Wire-Stretcher

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G598/Heavy-duty-Splice-Crimper-Wire-Cutter

My post disappeared, apologize if this is a double up...

Depending on the age of the wire you may not want to stretch it at all... if really old you could be making a bigger mess of things. Instead you may just want to ensure that the wire stays equally spaced to one another at the mid-spans.

IMHO on the clamp thing is absolutely NOT, 2 reasons:
1. If you have old wire (and we have some on the ranch older than dirt), it creates the next spot where the wire breaks
2. On new wire, it creates the spot where rust will begin and creates a spot that the cows like to tinker with by rubbing on it

If you are planning on using the ratcheting stretcher, you can either stretch, cut and crimp, or you can stretch and then do a twist loop splice with new wire rather than cutting. Either will work. One thing that I highly recommend if you do cut/splice is to take the protruding ends that come out of the splice and bend them at a 90 deg. to the crimp. That way they can not slip.

Thanks for the replies thus far!! There are no clips and T-posts in this case as all the line posts are wood, which means the barb wires are all stapled to the posts; not looking like a fun job pulling all them staples.

But then again, this fence is fairly new according to the seller - probably less than 5 yrs old. I am kinda surprised there doesn't seem to be any significantly rusted areas yet given the I'm up here in the Pacific NorthWeT. ;-) Don't want to cause any premature rust either.

--Marc

lawnviewfarm":vrz0u6sq said:
Thanks for the replies thus far!! There are no clips and T-posts in this case as all the line posts are wood, which means the barb wires are all stapled to the posts; not looking like a fun job pulling all them staples.

But then again, this fence is fairly new according to the seller - probably less than 5 yrs old. I am kinda surprised there doesn't seem to be any significantly rusted areas yet given the I'm up here in the Pacific NorthWeT. ;-) Don't want to cause any premature rust either.

--Marc
With any luck the staples were put in properly and the fence isn;t pinched tight to the post. That way there is a little slippage but also the fence won;t be dinged so it won;t rust at the staples.

Just pull the staples out far enough for the barbs to slide through. Get a fence stretcher and tighten it up at a corner post. Re loop the wire around that post. Put the staples back in.
Check the wire looking for thin places. If you find them my best suggestion is replace that area. If it is not thin then no problems.

Do not use a fencing tool to twist the wire to tighten it. FIL used to do that. It rusts out quickly and breaks quicker. Don't ask me how many of those places we fixed over the years. :roll:

Well, that's what I was hoping I could do - pull the staples out far enough. But I didn't think I could get the barbs to slide through the partially extracted staples easily, if at all. I'll have to go 'play' with a section and try.

Dun, unfortunately, I did see a lot of wire snugged up tight against the fence posts when I walked the border fence. They'll be 'a lot of fun' to pull loose so I can take up the slack. :devil2:

Oh well, at least we were able to expand some. :D

--Marc

If it were me i would just run one single strand of high tensil on inside of existing barb wire and be done with it. The old barb wire would serve as a good blind, but the one strand high tensil would keep them from getting ideas.

--Jeff

lawnviewfarm":1lff9g7n said:
Well, that's what I was hoping I could do - pull the staples out far enough. But I didn't think I could get the barbs to slide through the partially extracted staples easily, if at all. I'll have to go 'play' with a section and try.

Dun, unfortunately, I did see a lot of wire snugged up tight against the fence posts when I walked the border fence. They'll be 'a lot of fun' to pull loose so I can take up the slack. :devil2:

Oh well, at least we were able to expand some. :D

--Marc
For pulling staples, even those that are pounded in tight, this handy dandy tool is worth it''s weight in silver:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... as=fencing tool

The best wire stretcher I've found is one called the Hayes Smooth Grip Chain Strainer. While it can be tricky to use if you haven't been shown the technique, it's a lot safer than the other ratchet/bar type stretchers. I think a Kiwi invented it so you know it's a gooder.

I wouldn't touch it unless the cattle are getting out.

IF you must fix it get a come along, clamp for the wire, and strap or chain. Undo the wire ties on the t-posts and loosen the steeples on the posts. Pull and re-wrap on the corners.

I bought a tool called the Texas fence fixer . I found the add in the cattle man's magazine . Maybe you can Google it . Works really well on sagging wire.

Latest posts