Tiger Stripe cattle....need help from a newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

Moblack82

Reaction score
I'm a new guy to raising cattle with a lot of help from my Dad. Last year I decided to finally get in the family business. I bought some Angus Plus heifers and have 3 calves on the ground. I'm impressed with how they look. My dad runs an Angus bull that throws really good calves. His herd consists of Angus and crossbred cows. I've purchased nothing but Angus girls that range from 4 to 5 year olds. Earlier in the season I bought some open cows that had calves on them and planned to breed to his Bull. Since reading on here on the forums and seeing how well his crossbred calves grow I've been thinking about buying some tiger stripe cattle. I'd love for my growing herd to be uniform but what is the thought of me crossing Tigers with his Angus bull? Would it be worth it to me? I saw sell at the auction yesterday and they were some huge girls. One of them was 1,345 lbs. Also my location is East Texas. What do you guys think? Stick with raising all Angus or get some hybrid in my herd?

I think you'd definitely benefit from some Brahman influence. As you probably know, the typical tiger stripe cow is an F1 Brahman Hereford cross. For our part of the country you can't do much better than those, and the Angus bull should do very well on them. You should get mostly black calves, with some white on their faces. Both the steers and heifers should sell well.

And welcome to the forum.

For my part, every commercial cow in East Texas should be 1/2 to 1/4 Brahman influenced in order to have a "Mama" cow that is environmentally adapted to the area. By putting an Angus bull on those crossbred cows you will get 1/4 to 1/8 Brahman in the calves depending on how much Brahman is in your cows. If you are selling at a sale barn that is located below I-20, those buyers all carry orders that let them put 1/4 blood calf right on a front end calf order if the calf has the right muscle and condition.

As to your wanting to buy "tigerstripes", may I suggest that you buy the chocolate colored F1's. They usually bring a couple of hundred dollars less per head than the "tigerstripes" and are just as good of cows.

Have there been any red calves born of that bull? You can't go wrong with the F1s but they are pricey...I use to raise my own, I'd want to see the operation they came from, the disposition of the parents.. cause that cross makes em hotter than a match anyway....

An Angus bull is a fine choice, but you will be leaving money on the table to use an Angus bull on mature tigerstripe cows, especially biguns like you are talking about. Let them realize their full potential and get a Charolais bull on them. That is my advice.

My dads bull doesn't throw any red bulls. He is a registered bull from a place in Crockett area. I can't think of the name. I saw some 7 year old this past weekend at the sale. Got me to thinking about a few. thanks for the tips.

In regards to the Charlois how are they for birthing? All the cows we have are pretty much mature besides the 1st calf heifers. All the calves are born non assisted.

LauraleesFarm":1ydx4gyp said:
An Angus bull is a fine choice, but you will be leaving money on the table to use an Angus bull on mature tigerstripe cows, especially biguns like you are talking about. Let them realize their full potential and get a Charolais bull on them. That is my advice.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I must respectfully disagree! They will bring a premium for being black, and the heifers can be marketed as top of the line replacements. A charolais on a bunch of tigerstripes is a pretty common cross around here... calves are usually nuts and not much to look at, and will never, ever grade. Either cross results in maximum heterosis. So, if you can use an Angus bull that will put a butt on them AND make them black while giving them a chance to marble, what's the benefit of using a Charolais instead? With the way the Angus breed is pushing growth these days, I think they can give Charolais bulls a run for their money.

Moblack82":1bxz8m15 said:
I'm a new guy to raising cattle with a lot of help from my Dad. Last year I decided to finally get in the family business. I bought some Angus Plus heifers and have 3 calves on the ground. I'm impressed with how they look. My dad runs an Angus bull that throws really good calves. His herd consists of Angus and crossbred cows. I've purchased nothing but Angus girls that range from 4 to 5 year olds. Earlier in the season I bought some open cows that had calves on them and planned to breed to his Bull. Since reading on here on the forums and seeing how well his crossbred calves grow I've been thinking about buying some tiger stripe cattle. I'd love for my growing herd to be uniform but what is the thought of me crossing Tigers with his Angus bull? Would it be worth it to me? I saw sell at the auction yesterday and they were some huge girls. One of them was 1,345 lbs. Also my location is East Texas. What do you guys think? Stick with raising all Angus or get some hybrid in my herd?

Before you jump off in the deep end do you have experience with the Tigers.
Tigers are not for people who want to play cowboy they are for cattlemen,
you can lead them anywhere and can't drive them nowhere.
Better have good pens and working facilities as they can go from flight to fight in a heartbeat
if handled wrong.
They are great cows and will raise a calf that mashes down the scales.
IMO everyone in East Texas needs some Brimmer in their calves.
Brangus or Brafords would give you the Brimmer advantage you are looking for.
My personal choice is Brafords. Both are great with an Angus bull Brafords make a nice baldie with tight hide
ears trimmed that mashes the scales.

quote="ricebeltrancher"]and will never, ever grade.[/quote] How did you come up with this statement any data or just an idea ???? I have posted on here several times that from my years working in a packing house that the best cattle to grade , just from me watching them through the process, was a Char/Angus or a Char./Hereford.
So is it the F1 or the Char. that you think would not make them do good?

ricebeltrancher":3q0af9bf said:
A charolais on a bunch of tigerstripes is a pretty common cross around here

So why are so many people doing this if it not working out good for them? it is common around here also

Caustic Burno":3q0af9bf said:
Before you jump off in the deep end do you have experience with the Tigers.Tigers are not for people who want to play cowboy they are for cattlemen,you can lead them anywhere and can't drive them nowhere. Better have good pens and working facilities as they can go from flight to fight in a heartbeatif handled wrong.They are great cows and will raise a calf that mashes down the scales.
[/quote]
GOOD ADVICE
I have Brahman and Brahman cross but you had better know how to handle them, they aint Angus and you don't push them the same way

Caustic Burno":os3y2ni2 said:
Moblack82":os3y2ni2 said:

Better have good pens and working facilities as they can go from flight to fight in a heartbeat
if handled wrong.
My personal choice is Brafords. Both are great with an Angus bull Brafords make a nice baldie with tight hide

Listen to Caustic, he is not steering you wrong. Tigers are not for newbies. Not trying to hurt your feelings but if you have to ask, they are not for you. You are wise to have asked the question.

houstoncutter":2nhkkwh6 said:
Listen to Caustic, he is not steering you wrong. Tigers are not for newbies. Not trying to hurt your feelings but if you have to ask, they are not for you. You are wise to have asked the question.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I concur.

Muddy":23puz3ag said:
Bryant, I think Rice is talking about Char x Tigerstripe calves.
Maybe I didn't understand him. I didn't know if he thought they wouldn't grade because of the Brahman or Char. A lot of these buyers make a big out of "to much ear" and if you will follow them through from the kill floor to the grade line I think you will find its not how long their ears are that make them not grade but its when they get enough Brahman in them to start having much of a hump on their back then you have problems. The "to much ear " is just an excuse to dock your cattle.
That's just what I have noticed from killing and watching several thousand head go through the packing house, no data to prove it.

My favorite cows are F1 Tigers, F1 Brangus and Beefmaster they are the best calf raisers I have ever seen. As CB said they are not for beginners. If you ain't set up for them they are more trouble than they are worth. I seen a F1 Tiger jump a 6 wire fence with no problem and her calf run straight through that same fence. Beefmasters do tend to be a little more calm but even they can get salty if not handled correctly. Maybe think about some Herefords they are mostly calm and with that Angus bull you will get some nice black baldies.

houstoncutter":tjp4lnlk said:
Caustic Burno":tjp4lnlk said:
Moblack82":tjp4lnlk said:

if handled wrong.

I can respect good advice. I've read a lot of Caustics posts on the forum so I trust his advice. All the cows that I've bought except for one appear to have Brangus qualities about them. Down the line I'd like to breed a Hereford to some of them to get me some BWF.

The very first cow I bought was a F1 Tiger and she, and every one since have been gentle as anything else on my place (which is VERY gentle). It is how you handle them.

They, and the Brahman, have a long memory. I can lead mine anywhere with cubes. Leave the dogs at home. And make sure your working pens are well made. Don't ever give them reason to learn how to jump.

Latest posts