Tiger Question

Help Support CattleToday:

We always called them brindle or refered to them as "brindled." Never heard the term tiger striped until recent and it generally comes from folks that haven't been in the cattle business long.

Brindled cows are pretty much always a cross. You get a lot of them with Santa Gertrudis crosses. Brahman crosses too. Most of them make good range cattle.

Tigers down here are crosses between herefords and brahmans. Caustic should help out with this one, as I think he has some.

Great moma's, none better in my book.

They are a firecracker, though. Not for the meek at heart.

They cross good with almost anything from what I've seen and are big enough to handle calving without problems. They are also, as a group, very protective mothers and give plenty of milk. Know some people who use tigers as recips.

Caustic, any comments?

cypressfarms":3mxl6jvt said:
Tigers down here are crosses between herefords and brahmans. Caustic should help out with this one, as I think he has some.

They cross good with almost anything from what I've seen and are big enough to handle calving without problems. They are also, as a group, very protective mothers and give plenty of milk. Know some people who use tigers as recips.

Caustic, any comments?

So what is a brindle then? Its a name that everyone has been using for decades. Its even in the dictionary.

From what I understand brindle is the description of the color pattern that Tigerstripe cattle have. Tigerstripe refers more to the particular cross. You can have brindle cattle, dogs, etc but you don't have a Tigerstripe dog per say. Like everything else, there's regional differences in the meaning of particular words.

backhoeboogie":1z6uim5w said:
cypressfarms":1z6uim5w said:

Caustic, any comments?

So what is a brindle then? Its a name that everyone has been using for decades. Its even in the dictionary.
you know actually brindle would be the correct term for the tigerstripe but people refer to them as tigers i call um queen of the south ;-)

Thanks for the clarification Sidney but I have lived in Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, Alabama, mostly Texas all over and was born on the coast, and even spent 5 1/2 years in Alaska as a kid. Its always been brindle no matter what region we were in. Never heard anyone with any cattle history refer to a brindle as anything else. Grandaddy and Daddy were serious cattle folks known all over the U.S. Seen plenty of Brahman/Hereford crosses too as well as many others that result in that color formation. Tiger stripe just sounds like a kid's description. Brindle is used kind of like baldy and everyone knows what you're talking about. If someone used the term "Tiger Stripe" I'd categorize them as someone who hasn't been around much. If you can't tell the difference between a hereford brahman cross versus a brahman gertrudis cross by lookign well then, maybe you do need terms to figure out what you are looking at.

Brindle also shows up in Braunvieh as an effect of the dilutor gene.

dun

Well, I guess Caustic and a bunch of men in their 60's and 70's that I know, with a lifetime in the cattle business, must be newcomers; since they all use the term "tigers" or "tigerstripes" in my neck of the woods ;-) . Locally, we usually refer to the Hereford x Brahman crossbred that in fact has the distinctive stripes as well as the mostly white head as tigerstripes. Some H x B crosses don't stripe up and they are often referred to as "chocolate browns". If we see a brindled bovine that does not have the predominantly white head, more often than not such an animal is referred to as a brindle.

I'd say this is entirely a regional thing. It's sort of like the whole gray calf thing - you hear them called different things depending upon who's calling them - smokies, off-colors, mousies, grays. It's the whole tomato - tomatoe debate.
I'd say it's like getting a new dog - it's yours, call it what you like !!!

ROCKSPRINGS":1dz4tjkx said:
Is A Tiger Stripe a Breed, or just a name given to a Hereford x Brangus calf ?

Thanks

My apologies Rock. I have a few of them, white face and all; they definately are not purebred animals.

Thank you everyone for the information. One thing that everyone agrees with is that they are firecrackers and good mamas, (Time for a joke) but will they chase the wild hogs away. :lol: .

ROCKSPRINGS":3k8a6p5p said:
Thank you everyone for the information. One thing that everyone agrees with is that they are firecrackers and good mamas, (Time for a joke) but will they chase the wild hogs away. :lol: .

Okay you got me Rock. However, my crow colored bull will definately give the hogs grief.

ROCKSPRINGS":22yw2apb said:
they eat preditors like candy i was laughing sunday watching my heifers run a dog plumb out of the pasture i had one old cow run a dog under my truck and still tried to get too it

backhoeboogie":7o33zjis said:
Tiger stripe just sounds like a kid's description. Brindle is used kind of like baldy and everyone knows what you're talking about. If someone used the term "Tiger Stripe" I'd categorize them as someone who hasn't been around much.

Now backhoe,

why do you want to start a fight like that?You can call em brindle if you want, but I wouldn't say you were a kid. I think the name tiger amply describes their look and their dispostion.

Hadn't been around much? It's a good thing today's my day off and I'm in a good mood. You need to think about what you post, son, as you may offend people if worded like that.

cypressfarms":ihvdtdmi said:
backhoeboogie":ihvdtdmi said:
Tiger stripe just sounds like a kid's description. Brindle is used kind of like baldy and everyone knows what you're talking about. If someone used the term "Tiger Stripe" I'd categorize them as someone who hasn't been around much.

Now backhoe,

why do you want to start a fight like that?You can call em brindle if you want, but I wouldn't say you were a kid. I think the name tiger amply describes their look and their dispostion.

Hadn't been around much? It's a good thing today's my day off and I'm in a good mood. You need to think about what you post, son, as you may offend people if worded like that.

Cypress, You were obviously offended. That was not my intent. I was LMAO about this and then found out folks were actually serious, which makes it all the more amusing.

If someone came in to a salebarn looking for "tiger striped" cows I would indeed think to myself, "there's one born every minute." I would also not think of them as someone with a history in cattle. Having been around cattle so long and read so much about them, even reading the words brindle in descriptions, tiger stripe seems like a totally rookie term to me, completely hillarious.

I am sorry you are offended by this. At the same time, I wouldn't want to sit here and lie about the way I feel either, just to try and be on your good side or something. This is something you and I obviously disagree on. I can leave it at that with no hard feelings. My apologies.

Latest posts