Tiger Question

Help Support CattleToday:

If you specifically want a brahmanx hereford F-1, you better call it a tigerstripe. a brindle can be just about anything crossed with brahman. a lot of beefmasters are brindle.

call me crazy, but i'd like to breed tigerstripes one day when i get my ducks in a row. (in addition to the beefmasters, of course)

Have two with tiger stripes. One is tiger wiith white head/face,the other is brindle all over No white. Both are gentle but good moms. Cannot possibly be anything described above. Who cares?

You want to call 'em tiger stripe thats okay. You want to call them brindle thats okay ? Mine just want to be called when the cubes are served.

You want to know their genetic make up: ask the seller and call them what you want. One of mine I call MOM. The other I call 20 Orange because thats the number on her orange ear tag.

If the Herford X Brahma cross ever develops as a breed I think it should be named Tiger Stripes. Man thats classie compared to Baldy or Brahma or Hereford.

Jay

I have a question about these cattle, after reading many posts about tigerstripes all I hear are they are the hottest breed out there I mean the meanest. Why is that if they are 1/2 hereford the docile breed?

Something about the cross of the two sets a trigger off. Maybe they get some of it from brahmans. If you look at other crosses, they aren't as hot: simbrah,charbray,brangus. Maybe they aren't as hot is due to the actual breed being established through generations, as opposed to a true tiger being a F1. Maybe caustic will have a take on this one, since he raises them.

shutskytj":q2d3c53p said:
I have a question about these cattle, after reading many posts about tigerstripes all I hear are they are the hottest breed out there I mean the meanest. Why is that if they are 1/2 hereford the docile breed?

I don't believe they are all like that (mean, hot, etc). My neighbor has a few of them, and everytime I have been around them, I have seen no aggression. He has hauled them over to our place a few times to work them (palpate, tag, vaccinate, etc), and they handled very easily.

TexasRanchMan, I believe true "Brafords" are not the result of tigers bred to tigers, but rather are 5/8 Hereford 3/8 Brahman.

I don't know anyone that breeds tigers to tigers. Most folks that keep tigers, well at least the ones I encounter, want the tiger cow and then use either Charolais or black Angus bulls. I think that virtually all tiger bull calves go to slaughter, if not raised for the rodeo business. Well, come to think of it, every now and then I see a tigerstripe bull (or what I call a brindled bull) in with a herd of cows of seemingly every imaginable color combination and I just sort of roll my eyes and drive on.

Texas Ranch Man":2zd5n34c said:
True F-1 Tigerstripes have been good performers for me. I do not however recommend "Brafords" which are True F-1 Tigerstripes bred back to each other. True F-1 Tigerstripes are some of the best Moma cows you will ever have. They will protect their young from any preditor except maybe a Panther. Heck they will protect their calves from you. If you want good Moma cows especially in a remote Rural area where there are an abundance of preditors you cant beat a True F-1 Tigerstripe. I cross mine with a Purebred Charlois Bull. I will admit you need a good working pen to handle them, and you need to exercise extreme caution when doing so, but I feel that is outweighed by their overall performance as money making producers. I love um. want more of um. They are expensive. But like anything else, you get what you pay for.
check with the braford association a braford can be any were from 3/8-5/8 which is purebred to 1/2 too 3/4 bra 1/4 hereford there flexable depending on your location . the further north you are the less brahman influance.

Arnold Ziffle":1uag8oi5 said:
TexasRanchMan, I believe true "Brafords" are not the result of tigers bred to tigers, but rather are 5/8 Hereford 3/8 Brahman.

I don't know anyone that breeds tigers to tigers. Most folks that keep tigers, well at least the ones I encounter, want the tiger cow and then use either Charolais or black Angus bulls. I think that virtually all tiger bull calves go to slaughter, if not raised for the rodeo business. Well, come to think of it, every now and then I see a tigerstripe bull (or what I call a brindled bull) in with a herd of cows of seemingly every imaginable color combination and I just sort of roll my eyes and drive on.
that's just right on the money and also the pit fall of the F1 business is the bulls/steer calves thats why i quit raising um cheaper too buy tiger replacements , ive seen people use F1 bulls not a good decision

sounds like all have hit it on the head as a brahmaxhereford.
most i've seen are in SE US mainly along gulf coast or S. GA
These tend to be good mamas and protective.

No use for them anywhere except deep south and gulf coast area. IMO

but they are good for that area.

My apologies for my old school learning folks. Been on the phone with some old timers I know and trust. I guess the jokes on me. I'll try and forget my 60's and 70's terminology.

backhoeboogie":me4irotx said:
My apologies for my old school learning folks. Been on the phone with some old timers I know and trust. I guess the jokes on me. I'll try and forget my 60's and 70's terminology.
Well i admire a person sticking to there guns right to the bitter end like they say crow aint too bad if cooked right :cboy:

I am glad to see that we can agee that the terms are fairly interchangeable. Been laid up for about 10 days with broke leg.

Tiger stripe is marketing term to indicate F1 cross for Brahman X Hereford. They also come Chocalote brown with a bald face. At F1 sales theses cows can be bought for several hundred dollars less and are just as good as the "tiger stripes".

When you use a Santa Gertrudis bull on on F1 Brahmna X Hereford cows you will get a bunch of brindled cattle that look just like the tiger stripes of F1's. One big time replacement producer used a different brand on the f1's and the Gert X F1 Brahmna -Hereford crosses so that he could tell them apart if they got mixed up.

ROCKSPRINGS":33d7dwmd said:
Is A Tiger Stripe a Breed, or just a name given to a Hereford x Brahman ?

Thanks
Tiger Stripe is a just a name given to a Hereford X Brahman.

ALACOWMAN":n4tg6ikz said:
check with the braford association a braford can be any were from 3/8-5/8 which is purebred to 1/2 too 3/4 bra 1/4 hereford there flexable depending on your location . the further north you are the less brahman influance.
When I went to school the Brafords were then 5/8 Hereford and 3/8 Brahman. Look like their assn has changed their minds about what they are. Next we know there will be Black Brafords.

la4angus":321w32zt said:
ALACOWMAN":321w32zt said:
When I went to school the Brafords were then 5/8 Hereford and 3/8 Brahman. Look like their assn has changed their minds about what they are. Next we know there will be Black Brafords.

Hey La, I can see it now: the new breed of the century being black herefords crossed with black brafords. Then we'll have registered mutts.

la4angus":ku55blz3 said:
ALACOWMAN":ku55blz3 said:
Well i dont see them doing that like beefmaster has. they allow you to breed according to you area ive heard of 3/4 bra 1/4 hereford in south texas and 1/4 bra 3/4 hereford in oregon. i wouldnt want to go above the mason-dixon with nothing less than a purebred.im sure there doing this to register more cattle cause the F1 is so hot in the south

I just read this thread on Tigerstripes/Brindles. We've always called a striped cow a brindle around where I live but I understand that a Hereford/Brahman cross is a Tigerstripe. I doubt if it really matters what you call a brindled cow-it probably actually varies according to where you live except for the Hereford/Brahman cross which I've never heard called anything but a Tigerstripe. Last month when I was in Ft Worth at a Longhorn sale I was talking to a lady from Missouri that I bought a cow from a couple of years ago. She asked me how my Tigerstripe was doing. I've never heard a Longhorn cow called a Tigerstripe but I guess it means the same thing as a brindle.

Here's a picture of one of my brindle er' Tigerstripe Longhorns.
100_0282.jpg

at the sale last week somebody had some fine Tigerstripe BULLS for sale. they were huge and over a ton. when they got in the ring every single person in the audience got sand on them. even me and i was up near the top.

Latest posts