Three heifers ai'd and all test open

Help Support CattleToday:

ashcass2

Reaction score
What are the odds that I have three heifers AI'd and all of them do not take?
These are 2 year old registered Brahmans. They were AI'd on June 10th and I pulled the blood
samples on July 11th, sent them out on July 14th and got the test results July 17th. The samples were pulled and brought in the house where they were stored over the weekend until they were shipped on Monday.

ashcass2":2o4wwevm said:
These are 2 year old registered Brahmans. They were AI'd on June 10th and I pulled the blood
samples on July 11th, sent them out on July 14th and got the test results July 17th. The samples were pulled and brought in the house where they were stored over the weekend until they were shipped on Monday.

No matter what anyone tells you, AI is a crap shoot - even the best person at the job can miss.

Blood samples can be taken and stored with mistakes.

There are literally a tonne of reasons they might / might not be bred.

A bull is your best bet - I know not everyone wants or can keep a bull.

I would do another blood sample and NOT store it - take it direct for testing.

If they showed negative - then back to the drawing board.

If the second samples are negative - and not knowing you or your cattle - have them checked out if you have not already and if they look good to breed - have at it again.

While we do some AI on this place I admit that the technicians sometimes miss 50% and sometimes they miss 30% - but the bull never seems to miss.

Good luck to you.

Bez__

Definitely possible, with a zillion different reasons for it. Timed AI lowers your success rate even more.

The place we used for blood testing used Biopryn, and say that the sample could still be used even if it dried completely out in the tube. Refrigeration was definitely unnecessary.

The blood lab told me I could take the sample and it would be good for 20 days. They also said refrigeration wasn't necessary and to keep it in my house and out of direct sunlight. I have taken these heifers to the vet to have them checked ,a few months ago, and he said one of them wasn't ovulationing yet. That was the one that I thought my not take but didn't expect all three.

ashcass2":28z9oipi said:
What are the odds of three heifers AI'd and all of them do not take?
Depends on conception rate.

IF your technician's 1st service conception rate is 63% the answer is 1 out of 20 times or 19-1
if c.r. is 37% then answer is 1 out of 4 times or 3-1

What are the odds of a coin landing heads? 50% 1 out of 2 times or 1-1 aka even
What are the odds of a coin landing heads 3 straight times?
.50 x .50 x .50 or 12.5% of the time which is 1 out of 8 times
odds of next coin landing heads is still 50% ... even though odds of landing heads 4 straight times is 1 in 16

Anywho if you average 63% 1st service conception and all 3 are 1st service
odds of all 3 being pg = 1 out of 4
.63 x .63 x.63 = 25%
odds of all 3 being open
.37 x.37 x .37 = 5% or 1 out of 20

Isn't math fun? :lol:

ashcass2":1xi6casd said:

We had 3 heifers AI'd last Oct., on timed heats (co-synch with CIDR). One took on the first AI and gave birth last week. The second one took on the second AI and is due in 3 wks (caveat: she was very stressed with partial blindness due to pinkeye at time of first AI). The third one tested open despite 3 AI cycles. She is a nice registered animal and got a temp reprieve to go visit a friend's bull for a couple months. If she tests open this fall, she's done.

So, that's 6 AI cycles for 2 heifer pregnancies. Looked at that way, I'm underwhelmed. But for us it still beats a bull...and the mature cows all took on the first try, so our total odds are much better

Correct use of the protocal is very important, just because you used Cidr's you still need to stick the shot and AI in the time period. I use the timed method and have had good sucess with it, could be how your doing it. just saying :welcome:

Yes, I used separate needles to get the samples. Btw, it was sexed semen 5millon count. The AI tech came out three different times and used a CIDR then a shot then the semen insert.

You might already know this, but conception rates using sexed semen are typically much lower than conventional.

Having just toured Genex/CRI in Shawano I have to agree that the sexed semen gets a little beat up during the sorting process.

With regular semen there is approx. 15-20 million sperm cells in a 1/4 cc. straw, so you are getting only about 25% of the sperm cells. And they are beat up from the "magnetic" sorting. :2cents:

Yes I knew that sexed semen was less and the conception rate was a little lower. I have 5 more straws and three open heifers and already out a lot of money. I'm not sure I should pour more money in another round of AI. The AI tech I used wasn't cheap.

We AI'ed two heifers and a first calf heifer to Thunderbird a year ago in January and the first calf heifer stuck but the other two heifers didn't. One heifer came back in so tried another straw and she didn't stick. Waited until June and let the bull breed them and this spring both had nice calves. Last October the first calf heifer had a nice Tbird heifer that will be a keeper.

The middle of last month we had 3 cows AI'ed to 24J and all came back in :mad: so the bull bred them.
We use 7 day timed AI.

Good grief!!!!! I charge $10-15/head and feel slightly guilty about it! For that much, I think a second round should be included free of charge! Outrageous. They should have nearly a 100% success rate to charge that much.

Food for thought: a friend of ours, who has been AI'ing since the 60's, said that the only way they could get pure Brahmans AI bred was by breeding them when they were IN heat, not after. I take most of what he says without a grain of salt.

ashcass2, where do you live and how far does the tech have to travel?
When my husband was breeding other people's cattle and they bought the semen (they had it delivered to our house and stored it), he charged $35 to $40 per cow depending depending on the distance traveled. If the cow came back in heat, he bred it for free.
The owners were responsible for buying everything to synch the cows.

And yes it is very possible for all three not to catch. Besides some Brahman heifers are slow to sexually mature.

Latest posts