All heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
As I stated before, I supply my brother with a bull.
I bought 2 grey Murray virgin bulls I let my brother use one and I used the other, the one I used I had to sell because he wouldn't stay home and don't remember if I got any calves out of him or not, we did have other bulls with him.
My brother has 10 cows, and this is his 2nd round of calves out of the bull, not one steer calf, everyone has been a heifer.

I bought 2 grey Murray virgin bulls I let my brother use one and I used the other, the one I used I had to sell because he wouldn't stay home and don't remember if I got any calves out of him or not, we did have other bulls with him.
My brother has 10 cows, and this is his 2nd round of calves out of the bull, not one steer calf, everyone has been a heifer.
Would be interesting to get a semen evaluation on him-that second X or first Y is definitely supplied by the bull…you ought to try him on a few of yours and see if the same thing happens.

Gotta wonder if he has a severe PH imbalance. Maybe his male sperm are somehow malformed? I suppose it could be chance... but twenty out of twenty would be long odds.

That does seem extreme, but you never know. About 30 years ago my father bought a Brahman bull, wanting heifers from him. Dad kept him for 3-4 years and got around 75% bull calves.

He had enough and said he was going to sell the bull. I told him I'd buy it and give it a try. I got about 75% heifers.

That does seem extreme, but you never know. About 30 years ago my father bought a Brahman bull, wanting heifers from him. Dad kept him for 3-4 years and got around 75% bull calves.

He had enough and said he was going to sell the bull. I told him I'd buy it and give it a try. I got about 75% heifers.
Different feed, different PH levels.

Which PH level is best to get bull calves
I haven't been deep into the science for thirty years, so I don't really remember much of the particulars. I remember high protein, high minerals set up the parents to favor male sperm success, and high carbs favor female success. Nothing close to 100%, but somewhere around 67-72% depending on gender.

Vaginal ph tends to run a little acidic... and semen ph tends to run neutral to a little alkaline...the male carrying sperm are supposed to be faster, but die off quicker... and they are more affected by the ph of the female reproductive tract... so if the egg is passed and the sperm are swimming fast, they will get past the real acidic environment and get the egg fertilized quicker... so more alkaline seems to be more favorable to male carrying sperm... of course, there are a dozen things that can affect it... but we would breed mid to late cycle for a better than average chance of a heifer calf... because of the timing of the egg release.... if the male carrying sperm get there too quick, they die off and the female carrying sperm are still alive to fertilize the egg...
Have been studying our beef calves too and have found that the early, first born calves of the season, tend to be more bulls and the later born calves tend to be more females....

And Murphy's law says that if you want a female, you will assuredly get a bull calf....
And I have had 3 for 3 BULL calves out of sexed semen on the same cow, 3 years running... and then when she got out with the bull, had a frigging heifer calf the next time......

I have a similar situation here. It is only 285 days since the bulls were turned out, but calves are coming really fast. We are already at 65% of cows having calved. I have a young bull who was with only a few cows in 2021 as a yearling. He sired 7 heifers and 3 bulls born in 2022. I grumbled about it, but didn't really think it was too unusual. I figured it would average out over time. In 2022 he was with 21 cows, but two were culled in the fall. So far he has 10 calves and every one is a heifer. I am thinking of selling him after this season. I wouldn't normally sell a young healthy bull, but this is ridiculous. Unless the next 9 calves are mostly bulls, he is gone. I just have 43 cows to breed this year, but the other bull may get 30 of them.

Since good heifers here are running only 20 cents behind steers.... and are bringing what steers were bringing only 2 months ago.... and the dwindling number of replacements coming along, I would think that heifers would not be too frowned upon now. I always preferred heifers out of the purebreds and steers out of the crossbreds... if they are black I would welcome heifers this year.....

FACT: In every species even humans...depositing the seed near the exit...where the semen has to "work hard to get to the egg"...produces females as the X-XX semen live longer. Run an ineffective-inefficient bull that doesn't deliver his "deep"...and you'll be inundated with heifers. That's why so many young men that try for the "pull-out" method...have those baby girls!!!

Latest posts