Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Please and thank you!
He's already sold, but I'd like to tune in better if ya know what I mean. He's registered but that's all I know.
I personally like him.
I've gotten more horns than I'd like out of my hereford and am considering changing a couple things.
Screenshot_20220406-192634_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220406-192617_Samsung Internet.jpg

He may be really young but he's not very masculine. If you ignore his sheath, he'd look like a thick heifer.

Head's not great, musculature isn't great, he's just not that impressive. He might have been better off clipped and on somebody's Traeger.

Not being a butt, you have some good mama cows Murray and they will only do better with the right bull.

No issues at all with that, trying to learn more about builds and what to look for etc.
I'm looking for all comments!
I have no idea how he was developed or anything really.

Is it just me but does he seem proportional but small?

No issues at all with that, trying to learn more about builds and what to look for etc.
I'm looking for all comments!
I have no idea how he was developed or anything really.

Is it just me but does he seem proportional but small?
Squat isn't a death sentence, but if your cows can stand it then thicker beats thinner.

Some gimmedy ones can spit okay calves, but I like fairly broad butts, loaded shoulders, visible striations and a nice enough neck and head in one. Not an "expert" but that was our buying criteria for many years. A good undercarriage is also a good sign, if you know what I mean.

Squat isn't a death sentence, but if your cows can stand it then thicker beats thinner.

Some gimmedy ones can spit okay calves, but I like fairly broad butts, loaded shoulders, visible striations and a nice enough neck and head in one. Not an "expert" but that was our buying criteria for many years. A good undercarriage is also a good sign, if you know what I mean.
O of coarse.
There was no mention of scrotal, just that he passed a sale barn bse... 🙂

What color calves are you getting from the Hereford and what's your horn dock?
Blacks and reds. Baldies of coarse. And this year I've mostly heifers!!
Havnt sold the black ones yet. Odd, but none of the reds were horned that I remember.
The bwf will sell soon. I'm sitting on weather I wanna de-horn and wean or sell straight off cow. I've done well right off the cow in the past. These horns worry me a bit on dockage tho. Even tho I think they are great calves. A guy could go any direction he wanted with em.
20220403_171753.jpg20220320_151635.jpg
Not liking those front feet - claws are curved in and will probably soon be tapping and overlap.
The first thing I noticed was that left front!
But thought maybe I wanted to see what others thought of it too. Mild to medium scissor toe huh?
They won't get any better. My hereford has good feet!

Last edited:
Blacks and reds. Baldies of coarse. And this year I've mostly heifers!!
Havnt sold the black ones yet. Odd, but none of the reds were horned that I remember.
The bwf will sell soon. I'm sitting on weather I wanna de-horn and wean or sell straight off cow. I've done well right off the cow in the past. These horns worry me a bit on dockage tho.

The first thing I noticed was that left front!
But thought maybe I wanted to see what others thought of it too. Mild to medium scissor toe huh?
Does red take a dock where you are? Little horns never docked us hard.

Does red take a dock where you are? Little horns never docked us hard.
Added a couple pics above.
I was actually quite surprised with what my reds brought! Especially at the barn I sold em at. Not known for top prices but very convenient to my location. I've heard quality animals will always do well no matter where they sell.

They did receive a few comments.
We don't sell many like that here...fancy!
Was one of em.
Made me feel good anyway. 😆

Added a couple pics above.
I was actually quite surprised with what my reds brought! Especially at the barn I sold em at. Not known for top prices but very convenient to my location. I've heard quality animals will always do well no matter where they sell.

They did receive a few comments.
We don't sell many like that here...fancy!
Was one of em.
Made me feel good anyway. 😆
Nose, ear, butt, gut.

Dang. See, I thought he looked pretty wide fronted in the one photo... 😳

Much to learn, I still have...
The narrow (thin) remark has nothing to do with how wide he is from side to side.
It refers to how wide and long (tall) the shoulder muscling is. Hard to tell from a still photo but you can probably see it in a video of him walking and for sure in person as he moves. It looks fairly long (tall) but is narrow. The shoulder clod of muscle will carry about 70-80% of his weight and needs to have width to do it, plus a lack of muscling there will likely pass down & reduce his progeny's (steer's) total muscle mass in the shoulder/chuck area. We all concentrate on the loin area, width and length of rib area, and the rump, but the shoulder is a big part of the yield, and with beef prices upward, people look to the cheaper cuts. Chuck roasts are way cheaper for Mom America to buy than a rib roast.
shoulder.jpg

Ass, .. someone must of stole it in the dead of night.

At 18 months, he should be very close to 75% his expected mature weight. He doesn't look all that well developed.

Last edited:

Latest posts