Thoughts on our new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73

Reaction score
Bought a new bull over the weekend. He's a homozygous black and polled Simangus (50% Sim 50% Angus) born in Sept. 2013, so 15 months old. I like his EPDs for my use, but I want to know what everyone thinks about how he is built. I always enjoy learning from how you guys evaluate a bull.

And this is our first heifer to calve this year. Snapped a photo one day checking on her and threw it in for fun.

I like 'em. Bull looks good for his age. I'd like to see his EPD's. Nice heifer and calf.

fitz

I really like him also. He appears square and thick. Well developed for his age, and should just get better and better! :D

This is the listing in the sale catalog. He came out of the North Alabama Bull Evaluation Center Sale. He was probably the shortest bulls at the evaluation (although I don't think he will mature at a FS 3.9 like he measured) and I think his smaller frame led to him being a lower gaining and WDA bull.

I liked him for his CE, BW, Marbling and REA EPD's. His growth numbers are average, but my herd has virtually no Sim-influence so he should give them some extra growth anyways.

He looks like a good bull. If I had to pick at him, I would wish his hind legs were not quite so straight, and that he wasn't quite so conditioned. But overall a nice bull. And your heifer looks good, too.

Bull looks good and those numbers would work well for me. He should produce a number of good solid calves for you.

I like him pretty well. I only see 2 things that for me would be possible negatives. Scrotal seems low to me, it's in the acceptable range but lower then I like. The other is the FS, if that holds up I would see possible problems if you sell calves at the sale barn. But that is just kind of picking nits on my part. For our use I prefer a scrotal of 40 as a yearling and a FS of 5.

He is a bit small framed. I would like for him to be a 5, but I got him at well below the average for the sale. We are going to use him to clean up behind AI this season and if his calves turn out ok, we might keep a few daughters in the future. Biggest things I liked were his EPDs, his overall thickness, and his pedigree.

That frame score came from the Ollie. I think if I had access to him and was looking for simangus I'd skip the AI and turn him out. Ollie x paramount is going to pretty hard to beat.

cow pollinater":3tf4dv02 said:
That frame score came from the Ollie. I think if I had access to him and was looking for simangus I'd skip the AI and turn him out. Ollie x paramount is going to pretty hard to beat.
I agree with the skip the AI part (I've never heard of Ollie or paramount) because he looks about as good as any SimAngus bull I've seen in any catalogs. You might get slightly higher EPD's and performance from the AI but for the small difference in WW I doubt it will prove to be more cost-effective considering you've already got the bull. Just my opinion though.
Edit: Plus I'd say he has plenty of condition to work a little overtime ;-)

Nice bull. Alot of the frame may come from 701T he is small frame seen lots of his calves, small frame, but nice thick calves, depends on cow size how id use him, I would continue to A I. Around here they want to X back them if they get to small in frame.

Latest posts