Thorns, briars, Cuts, and pulling a calf...

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
It's been a really good calving season for this group of heifers. Had 3 more born today and #28 had feet out at 6:pM. Went on and fed the other pastures and got done at 7:30 so I checked her again...feet out, no change. So I played some online poker till 9 then- feet out, no change. She got down in the corner of this particular pasture where no heifer has ever gone before. The thorns and briars are so thick you can't see through them on a sunny day. It was pitch black night and I was trying to get her out of the mess and she just got deeper and deeper in to the point she was stuck. So I grabbed the chains and hooked up right there but her butt was against the briars and I was threading the chains through to get em on. By this time blood is dripping off my hands and arms from the cuts and scrapes. she is a very calm heifer and I was pushing and pulling on her head but nothing was working, mind you I'm in the middle of the briar patch. If she decided to run me over I didn't have an inch on any side to move. I got my knife out and started cutting till I got her free. By this time the farm hand showed up and we got her moving out. Got a hold of the chains and pulled a massive bull calf. He was barely breathing and she went down. Finally got her up and of course she ran off. I put the farm hand holding a light on the calf, that I wouldn't give 2 cents for his chances of making it 20 minutes, and hazed her back to the calf. We got out of there and I said a prayer knowing there was no chance she was gonna take him nor was he gonna live. I went back down there just now to dispose of the carcas and she was licking him off and he was trying to stand :D . 2 of the last 10 have left their calves and I had to make em take he calf. I sure wasn't looking forward to another one. Thank you Lord.

Glad it worked out for you
I may be all wet on this but it seems to me if they have a some ear in them the mothering instinct is stronger.
They get up looking to fight cause they think your trying to get their baby

Must be the year Iso, I got 30 heifers calving. Out of the dozen born so far 2 could care less whether or not they had a calf. They don'/t really not claim it, just are poor mothers. Afraid to turn them out, think they would just walk off and leave the calf behind. gs

sorry about your problem, but happy for you it turned out ok. I find heifers are the most problem, especially if they have a problem calfing. Number one, the briars, I have some blackberries and bullrush, and that can be a big problem. Number two, you are dealing with heifers and a lot of them. Do you have a small pasture you can bring them in next to a chute where you can assist them if needed? Also heifers are the first ones to bail out in trouble. However, if they will not except their calf, I don't care if they have trouble or not and if you give them a chance (severals days to let that calf nurse) and you put her in a chute to nurse, she has to go down the road, as she might do it next year and it is too clostly to keep her, unless you are a hobby rancher. Good Luck on the remaining heifers. One more thing. I raise Angus and Brangus cattle for many years and I have yet to have a Brangus cow leave her calf.

Latest posts