Thorn Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe it's just a local thing about the price. I don't know what they go for in other areas.

Dick

Well, I guess in reality it would be closer to a full day. Still worth it in my opinion. They would rather have the trees standing because they say they come out alot easier. If the trees have to be cut, they like to have about 4 feet of stump out of the ground so they can blade it alot easier. Lots of post oak around here and boatloads of mesquite. By the way, they use the biggest dozier they make too. Don't know what that size is, but it's a great big son-of-gun. I guess when all's told, it depends on how much brush and trees are on your property. We had alot of post oak and mesquite, and I mean alot, and Billy diddid the whole thing in 7 hrs. I'll try to post a before and after picture if I can figure that Photobucket thing out. We did it for the house we're building, which by the way the slab is down and the framers are starting next Tuesday. I'm GC'ing the thing and it's been a learning process to say the least.

Dick

Round here a Dozer, like a D-6 will take all day to do 2 acres of brush, and small trees. Going rate here is about 50-75 bucks an hr.With a 6 hr. minimum.

It sounds like you have honey locust trees. You might want to try a this recipe and use a thin-line basal treatment. 25% Remedy (triclopyr), 10% penetrating surfactant (CideKick II) and 65% diesel. You can use a pump up sprayer. Open the nozzle to where it shoots a stream instead of spray. Pump about half pressure. Spray a 2 to 3 band on each stem. About 2 weeks after treatment, they start turning a pretty golden color.

For the mathmatically challenged a 3 gallon mix will consist of 3/4 gal. Remedy, 38 oz. of CideKick II and 1.95 gal of diesel.

Happy spraying.

Rookie and denog, I have heard of that before. But it was after my last finning. I hate to admit this, but the last finning I got was from a catfish from Kroger. It was already dressed, and I was trying to get the plastic off when I shoved the fin up under my fingernail. I was frying fish for a family gathering. My finger hurt so bad that I couldn't keep my mind off of it. I stuck it pretty deep.

dun":1d0mhtq0 said:
Bret":1d0mhtq0 said:
On a similar note. I have been spraying multiflora rose and a small thorny bush in the pasture with TSC Pasture Pro. It kills the roses but only makes the thorny crap mad. The thorn bush grow into a tree if you let it. I would like to know what the real name of the thorny bush is so I can target the right stuff on them. Any ideas from anyone?

I have lots of names for them when I mow them off and the thorns ride up and over the tractor tires. I pulled one from the inside of a tractor tire that I thought was a piece of wire.

I don;t know what pasture pro is, but remedy works on everything we've tried it on. MF roses are really pretty easy to kill, seems like even glyphos will kill them. Blackberrys are a whole nother story

dun

Try Pasturegard. Dow Agro makes it. I just used it and had success knocking out the blackberry and greenbriar on one of my fences. I mixed a 2% solution with a .5% surfactant and spot treated.

Less cost to Remedy. $46/gallon is what I got it for vs. nearly $100 for Remedy.

We successfully used a combination of Weedmaster (2,4-D + dicamba) and Cimmaron on blackberries. Rate used was 1 qt of Weedmaster and 2/10 oz. of Cimmarron. Field is clean now and a cow could hardly walk through it before.

those big thorn trees are a little tougher than blackberies or small shrubs. not sure if anything but crossbow or remedy will kill a large one & if you use something to light, you will have to redo it later with the right stuff

I once tried drilling a hole in them and squirting roundup it the hole. It killed only half the tree. The other side came on with a vengence. It started putting up shoots everwhere.

:eek: hadnt seen a thorn tree in my pasture in a few years... until this evening... that little dude was just over a foot tall next to the woods.. dug him up with the front end loader and then pulled him out of the dirt and got rid of him...

first thing i thought of when i saw it was this thread...

jt

Is this it? Kinda.......Hey WeWild, I think I got it. How bout that.

thorn_tree.jpg

Wow, icandoit --- that's about the nastiest looking tree trunk I've ever seen! I don't have any locust trees and I guess I've never seen any, but I thought they had longer thorns which were located up in the mast section of the tree. But the tree in your picture reminds me of something I have a lot of, a small tree/shrub we refer to as "devil's club" (aralia spinosa). I think it is also commonly referred to as "devil's walking stick" or "Hercules club". But I've never seen one with quite as many spikes on the trunk as the one in your picture. Sure wouldn't want to get jammed up against that one!

Boy, that sure don't look like any of my locust trees. Ours have thorns on the branches not the trunk.

I ain't never saw a tree like that. If its a honey locust its differant than any I have ever seen. Most of them have longer thornes mostly on the branches. They also grow on the trunks but in clusters. There will be severl long ones of 3-4 inches with some shorter ones at the base.

thats not like any thorn tree i have ever seen... that is one tough looking tree.

good luck in getting rid of em..

jt

If I had trees like the one in the pic above, I'll tell ya how I
would remedy it.... Move where they dont have those :)

Seriously, I have been clearing mesquites off an unused part
of my land for the past 4 years. I just jerk them out with the
tractor and spray diesel fuel on any roots that break off.
As always, use your head and dont try pulling something that
will flip your tractor over on you,
sometime you need to dig a
little and take a axe to the big roots, depending on your
tractor size/weight. Be careful, it aint worth dying over :)

I found the trick is, to do it in the spring or early summer when
the sap is up. That way the roots have a hard time trying to
re-grow.

Now if I can figure out what to spray on these rocks to make
them go away :)

Latest posts