Thorn Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

plowboy, what rocks? can't hardly find one here. back in northern pa i swore they grew every year. you could pick them all & next year they were back

As long as we are on the subject, when I was out walking the pasture this weekend, I noticed some thorny, vinelike shrublike things growing up in the middle of my pasture. There were probably 10-15 of them. I'll try and describe them better. They werent mesquite trees, as I know what those are. These were vinelike, about a foot or less tall, with green leaves similiar to what a mimosa tree has. Kinda dark green little oval shaped leaves. The thorns were real hard/sharp and about an inch long at this time. The thorns were growing on the viney part of the plant. Any idea what these were? I had a couple gallons of roundup already in the sprayer, so I hit them with that pretty heavy. I will probably dig these up this weekend when I get some time. Shouldnt take more than a couple three shovel fulls to dig out whole plant. But then again, since it's only a foot tall, I am assuming the roots wont be clear to china yet! :)

eric":g04pcomi said:
As long as we are on the subject, when I was out walking the pasture this weekend, I noticed some thorny, vinelike shrublike things growing up in the middle of my pasture. There were probably 10-15 of them. I'll try and describe them better. They werent mesquite trees, as I know what those are. These were vinelike, about a foot or less tall, with green leaves similiar to what a mimosa tree has. Kinda dark green little oval shaped leaves. The thorns were real hard/sharp and about an inch long at this time. The thorns were growing on the viney part of the plant. Any idea what these were? I had a couple gallons of roundup already in the sprayer, so I hit them with that pretty heavy. I will probably dig these up this weekend when I get some time. Shouldnt take more than a couple three shovel fulls to dig out whole plant. But then again, since it's only a foot tall, I am assuming the roots wont be clear to china yet! :)

Sounds like possibly very young locust trees. I know that people get tired of hearing it, but check with your local NRCS office, it's pretty surprising what kinds of knowledge those folks have.

dun

not sure what they are called ,but they are sharper than anything. they grow clear to the top of some trees in time. i spray them with brush killer too. hate them worse than the thorn trees, can't get ahold of them anywhere

jerry27150":l2hp0855 said:
not sure what they are called ,but they are sharper than anything. they grow clear to the top of some trees in time. i spray them with brush killer too. hate them worse than the thorn trees, can't get ahold of them anywhere

Gooseberry's are the same way. I just wait till they get bigger and if they're in a place I don;t want them I spray them with remedy and burn them in the fall right where they're sitting.

dun

I gotta with Dun. They sound like young honey locust to me also. They will puncture a tractor tire in this stage. Hope for a front one. Grazon will get em in this stage. Bushhogging makes em spread.

I am in northern Ky and have lots of honey locust trees. I average at least 2 flat tires a summer from natures gift. If you can get close enough to the base take a chainsaw and cut a ring around it about a half inch deep. Usually kills the tree. In the fall I use my manure bucket with a couple of pipes slide over the forks about a foot or two apart, put the pipes as high as you can reach. Cut the tree off at ground level, pick it up and take it to the burn pile. No thorns to get you, works pretty good. Be ready to fight a thousand shoots in the spring!

if they are locust they can posion you too.. i got stuck by a couple and it brused me up with lumps. the good part might be that 4wheelers folks probably wont run through them, and the fall color is decent. they are not as invasive here in IL as others have stated...but i only been watching them a few years:) donna

has anyone ever noticed insects like grashoppers stuck on the thorns? The little bride told me what kind of bird it is that does this and I've forgotten.maybe this is their purpose.that and the fact that possums eat the seeds are the only good I've seen in these trees.

yes, we have shrikes here too. they impale (sp?) grasshoppers and other insects and even sometimes lizards on the barbed wire. sure would hate to tick them birds off.

Working on a new possible grazing area on a little extra acreage that we picked up next door.

Thorns got me again. While mowing off some 2-3" thick thorn trees Saturday I had a flat on the right front tire just as I was ready to quit due to the heat. I called my favorite tire company and they sent a truck out first thing Monday. They found a few thorns. I asked them today how they felt about the foam filling. The person that I talk to said it makes tires rock hard and "youl'll feel every bump."

My strategy is is back the King Kutter into the trees to cut them off. Then I stack them on burn piles. Some still find there way into the tires. Dun is right. This method shatters the stump pretty much. If they are too big, I level them with the chain saw.

Slow is precise. Precise is fast. At least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Bret I put a liquid flat stop in my tractor tires several years back because of the same problem. It came in a 5 gallon bucket with a pump to put it in. It was like REALLY thick latex paint with some fiber stuff in it. My fertilizer dealer sold it to me based on how much I used so I didn't have to buy what I had left over. You raise the tire off the ground, take the valve core out and pump in the amount for your tire size. Turn the tire a few times, put the air back in(don't worry if it isn't the same air you took out :lol: ) and drive the tractor around for a couple minutes. You probably would want to have a tube in the tire so it isn't such a mess when you have to take the tire off, but it was water soluble, so you could wash out the tire with a hose. It worked like a charm for me and you could not tell it was in there. If I can ever remember the brand name I'll post it later.

Chuck and Jerry,
Do you put this stuf in after the flat or do you always have it in the tire for prevention?
I thinked I used the white stuff a few years ago in the tires of a portable chute that I have. The product had a small clear tube that attached by friction to the bottle and the tube went inside the valve stem. I may have got the stuff at TSC.

Bret":1r50u6nj said:
Chuck and Jerry,
Do you put this stuf in after the flat or do you always have it in the tire for prevention?
I thinked I used the white stuff a few years ago in the tires of a portable chute that I have. The product had a small clear tube that attached by friction to the bottle and the tube went inside the valve stem. I may have got the stuff at TSC.

I've done it both ways. Most of the time after because I forget to do it before hand. The best of the jillions of puncture seal type things I've tried is "Slime" it's green and nasty looking but it sure works.

dun

Bret":1gn9rg8i said:
Chuck and Jerry,
Both. I put it in because I had been fighting the thorn flats. One day I picked up a small thorn that gave me a slow leak, so I put it in that one and went ahead and did the other 3 also. Mowed a lot of multaflora rose and locust trees after that, never had another flat on that tractor.

Is there a generic version of Remedy out?
I haven't been able to find Remedy around here. I was looking for something similiar to it. The active ingredient in it is Triclopyr at 61.6%.
A lot of other stuff I have found, have a fraction of that much Tripclopyr.

I have a whole bunch of Honey Locust on my place along with Multiflora rose and a lor of other NICE plants.
Thanks
Dan

Well I like locust trees growing cause it means i have lots of fence posts lol.

Locust trees will have thorns on trunk when they are young and small. As they grow older they will lose the thorns on the trunk and you'll only see them on the branches. And a really old locust you'll hardly be able to find any thornw on it.
They can get quite large.....some of my locust stands have trees 15-20" in diameter and 40ft tall.

Very hard wood though. Eats up a saw chain pretty fast but boy do they make good fence posts.
Still have some 50 year locust posts on the farm put in by grandpa way back.

Latest posts