Apple trees in pastures?

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnhunter

Reaction score
After having two episodes with bloat that seem to be attributed to apples, I was wondering if people leave apple trees in their pasture. Is choking or bloat from apples infrequent or something I should worry about?

Personally I wouldn;t want apple trees in a pasture if the cattle would be there any time that apples would be on the tree. We have black walnut trees in the pastures but the cows don;t touch them, must be the smell or something that puts them off.

Have one pasture that has apple trees in it. After loosing a heifer last year to choke I haven't let the cattle back in that pasture. Undecided if I'm going to remove the trees or fence them off.

chevytaHOE5674":ojfbnuld said:
Have one pasture that has apple trees in it. After loosing a heifer last year to choke I haven't let the cattle back in that pasture. Undecided if I'm going to remove the trees or fence them off.
If you like the apples from that tree I would fence it off

I have a field with 3 old apple trees left in it..never had a cow choke on one, though I have had a cow choke on a potato.. Most of the time the bears get the apples first anyhow. Those trees may be the oldest apple trees in BC, planted in ~1936 or so.. 80 years old.. they're pretty rotted and the bear has been doing the pruning, biggest PITA about them is getting around/between them with the mower.

Now y'all have me worried. We have more apple trees than forage. Dozens of trees (all wild). Many of them are inside the various fenced-off areas. The trees go way way back and they cows do munch on them in the fall. Guess I'll have to hope for the best.

I mowed and threw them a bunch of cut (untreated lawn) grass today, so I'm worried about that now too. Hope I didn't overdo it. They were begging and begging. I'd given them some older stemmy hay earlier so figured it would be ok. Hopefully there are not down the hill bloating while I'm typing! :shock:

There are times I worry more about my cows than my kid I think! (Will the cows feed me strained peas when I'm old? Kid probably won't either though...) :lol:

Yea you do have to be careful with apple trees in pastures I have a few apple trees in mine but most of the time I get them before the cattle.

apple trees in pasture are not good if you want cows to give much milk. apples have a tendency to dry up milk cows. used to have lot of them when in pa, ended up cutting all

Latest posts